Quick-and-Dirty Guide to Start Folding!

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Folding@Home
How to starting folding for Team 93

A QUICK and DIRTY guide for newcomers to folding. These responses are very general and will work for most people out there.

Download the folding program. You can get it from Stanford University's folding download page.

For Windows, we recommend the "Console client only".

If you use the console you should make a folder called "folding" in your C:\ drive. Save the file in there. Then run it.

If you have a dual core system***.

***If you have a multi-core CPU there is the SMP client that will use all CPU cores with the launch of one folding applications. The Stanford install guide can be found here. Don't forget to get a passkey as well, this is required for SMP2 and is recommended by Stanford to help maintain the integrity of your f@h username and accrued points.

Here you can see some of the benefits of running SMP vs. single core clients and this is a step-by-step guide for making sure the SMP client is installed as a service so it automatically launches when your computer loads windows.

For the install in the "folding" (first) folder:
  1. Type in your desired username.
  2. Type in 93 for the team number. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - if you get the number wrong, you won't be folding for Icrontic!
  3. The third question asks, "Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a service?" - We recommend you answer YES. Otherwise you will have to manually start the program after every reboot.
  4. Leave the passkey blank, and everything as default (just hit enter) unless told otherwise here:
  5. Yes to Advanced settings
  6. Yes to install as a service (automatic)

All done! Check to make sure your CPU is getting completely used (ctrl-alt-delete to check the Task Manager and look at the Processes tab). If it isn't start a thread and ask for help :)

Got consoles stuck on your taskbar? Use TrayIt to force them to your system tray and out of the way :cool:

You're doing a good thing!

Courtesy of primesuspect and Keebler (updated Nov 19 2008)

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    :thumbsup:
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited March 2005
    Can I say for point 5 that you can also start folding by going in Admin Tools > Services and starting client from there so you don't have to restart your computer.

btw, great guide :thumbsup:
  • n_ver_endingn_ver_ending "Cloud 9...mind's sky"
    edited April 2006
    I did it...so how do I know it is working after I reboot?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Check Task Manager and you should see two processes beginning with "FAH", one of which should be using a high percentage of the CPU.

Thanks for joining! :)
    edited April 2006
    hahahaha...damn...97% of my CPU is being used by folding.

I am glad to see it is working.
    edited April 2006
    :woowoo:

Don't worry about the high CPU usage - when you open other programs Folding will automatically drop off to give them priority. :D
    edited April 2006
    Nice, Thank you...

I have a question...the "team #93" icon you have under you names...can I get that too?
    edited April 2006
    In your User CP under "Edit Profile" you can enter your FAH username and it should show up. :)
    edited April 2006
    Thank youuuuuu = )
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Errm. Rusty. Looking for directions on how to set up 2 instances on a P4. Looked around a bit, couldn't find it. Man, I used to know this stuff cold :rolleyes:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Keto
    Just create a folder for F@H then inside it create a folder named F@H1 and another named F@H2. Then put one exe of the console version in each but don't start yet. Then go back and start each one and set each as a service. Set the one in folder 1 as machine id =1 and folder 2 as machine id =2. It is that simple! :D
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2006
    Apoligises to All I'm abit of :dunce: But have followed your instructions so far.

Ok I downloaded FH - task manager says using 50% - OK
    How will I know when a unit is finished. How would I open the console?

When the prog first set it self up, it asked about 5mb project, wasn't sure whether to answer yes (as I have 512mb ram) so I answered no if I put more ram in my pc can I change this - how?

thanks all
    edited November 2006
    Welcome to the team, Kentigern. :wave:

A lot of us use a program called Electron Microscope (EMIII) to monitor our progress.

As for the 50% CPU usage, was that your intent? It may be that you have an HT processor, in which case you can add a second console and really boost your production.

With 512MB of RAM you are right in the borderline area of having enough memory to run the larger (5MB+) WUs. If you have an HT machine and add a second instance I would say not to go for them. In either case, adding memory will probably give your whole system a boost.

The console can be reconfigured at any time. Look here for the Reconfiguring The FAH Console item for easy instructions. :)
    edited November 2006
    Hi Prof
    Thanks for the welcome :) Great to be here

cpu usage read 50 looked against FAH in process list it said 50 as well.

(Am learning a lot today)

What is a HT processor ? Cause if I have one I will set up another FH folder.

Where would I get that little red cog with comet tail (seen it on other threads) from.

How would I know what sort of ram I have, so I can buy some more?
    edited November 2006
    Kentigern wrote:
    ...What is a HT processor ? Cause if I have one I will set up another FH folder.
    HT stands for HyperThreading and is found on some Intel CPU's. In order for it to work the computer needs to have a motherboard capable of supporting it and it needs to be enabled in the BIOS. There is a nifty little (free) program called the Belarc Advisor which can tell you practically everything you need to know about your machine.
    Where would I get that little red cog with comet tail (seen it on other threads) from.
    That's one of our custom smilies, created by our fellow member DogSoldier. If you are responding to a post you can click the More link in the Smilies box and find it there.

:smokin:
    How would I know what sort of ram I have, so I can buy some more?
    Belarc will tell you that, too. With RAM prices being quite reasonable these days you might consider replacing your current memory, since it's always a crapshoot matching older RAM with newer stuff. If you do have HT capability you will probably want to get a matched pair of Dual-Channel memory sticks. :)
    edited November 2006
    Thanks Prof
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    maybe we should have people install to a fah1 directory no matter what...it doesn't hurt anything, and there's minimal change to the instructions if they have a dual-core or HT processor...? (Basically: 'do everything over again, but change 'fah1' to 'fah2'...')
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Good idea.... I'll look at editing that. Simple change and makes it easier to explain for dual core/ Hyperthread systems.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Here are the settings I normally use when setting up a console folding application. Tell me what I'm doing right and wrong, and why it would be better some other way. I saw some differences between my way and the recommended way.

After selecting a folder in which to put the Fah program, here's what I use for settings:

User name - Tim225
    Team - 93
    Launch automatically at machine startup - Yes
    Ask before sending / fetching work - No
    Use IE Settings - Yes
    Allow receipt of work assignments greater than 5 MB - That depends on the computer and how much available RAM it has.

Change advanced options - Yes
    Core priority - Idle
    CPU usage - 100%
    Disable highly optimized assembly code - No
    Pause if battery power is being used - No
    Interval between checkpoints - 15
    Memory in MB to indicate - This is a new one in 5.04 compared to 5.02, apparently. The laptop I was putting it on to type this post showed 255 MB available, so I typed in 255.
    Request work units without deadlines - Yes
    Minimize networking - get and submit work in batches - No
    Ignore deadline information - No
    Machine ID - 8

I once had a computer start trouble when I made the Machine ID "1", so after that I used "8" and never had a problem.

What difference does it make if you use internet explorer settings or not?
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Tim wrote:
    Use IE Settings - Yes
    Pause if battery power is being used - No
    Request work units without deadlines - Yes

I'd adjust these three.

- IE7 breaks F@H.
    - pausing under battery helps battery life tremendously. I'd imagine the hour or two you can fold on battery power isn't worth the hassle of killing the battery off that quickly, in terms of your own inconvenience...ymmv...
    - I thought Stanford stopped issuing deadline-free WU's?
    edited November 2006
    ...I thought Stanford stopped issuing deadline-free WU's?...
    You are correct.

Back when they were available they were wonderful for AMD machines. Ask for them now and you stand a good chance of getting nothing at all.

Stanford says that there are very few projects which can be done via timeless WU's, so staying away from them will direct your efforts to the areas where the research is most needed. The only reason anyone should ask for the timeless WU's is if they are still using a K6-2/300 or some such and flat-out can't finish a regular WU before the deadline is reached.
    edited November 2006
    How can i remove the microscope from my computer? I never use it so I figure I am going to take it off and leave let the folding continues as it was before I installed it.
    edited November 2006
    Delete the EMIII folder from Program Files and remove the shortcut from the Startup group and you'll have it gone. :)
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    what is team93 folding@home?
    how does it use our computer power to run calculations?
    will it make my computer run any slower?
    and does it take up much memory?
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited February 2007
    Hey Trev,

This thread should answer most of your questions.
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    I just dont get how a computer knows how to find cures for things if it was that simple why dont we just let our computers find the cure for every disease out there...
    computers always get there info from somewhere <u>some person</u> so why dont we just find the person who put the info on the internet for cures and use that?
    computers arent humans they dont have the knowledge we do....
    they all get there info from someone
    some person.....

I would really like to join this thing but i just dont see how it would help...
    I really like helping people and all but... i dont know
    If anyone can give me some answers on how a computer can find out info better than humans i <u>will</u> download it
    I just need to understand it better
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited February 2007
    Hi Trev,it is really simple you let the researchers at Stanford do the hard part, they design the computer algorithms that do the work and let them use the spare clock cycle's on your PC do the number crunching. and hopefully some time soon we'll all feel better when they can cure these diseases or prevent them.:bigggrin:

PS> it works for me and I am a biology graduate with some computer knowledge
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    Trev,

Try this link, http://folding.stanford.edu/

This is basically the Folding "Mothership". Lots of good info and a more precise description of what we are working on.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    The computer doesn't find the cure ...people do. The computer is merely a tool to sort and unsort the genome. The computer speeds up the tasks that would take men thousands of years to do. Maybe more.
    Through this process the genome is being mapped. There is still much to do but some of the mapping has been done. It's like trying to put together the Bible or the Encyclopedia Britanica word by word ...and all of the words are scrambled. Some of the sentences and paragraphs are complete.
    Folding isn't for everyone of course. But every little bit helps to solve the huge puzzle.
    edited February 2007
    Trev, in case you missed the other thread where you asked this same question, here is another response. :)