How Much do you Pay per Kilowatt Hour of Electricity?

Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
I´d like to know what are the baseline (in USD) that people pay per killowatt so as to figure out the differences between countries.

Mine is like 0.0129 per Kwatt in Argentina.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    According to the US Energy Information Administration, the national average is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    If my calculations are right, 5.7 cents here in PR.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    ours is around 8 cents per Kw/hr.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited November 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    According to the US Energy Information Administration, the national average is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour.

Dang! That sounds expensive! Are you sure?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Residential information gathered by the EIA as of August 2006: HERE

All figures rated in USD ¢/kwh. Thank you, OPEC.
    edited November 2006
    WOW!!!!!! I never thought it could be that expensive!! And If I understood the table correctly, has the price increased?

I wonder how much it costs in Europe...

BTW, what are your average consumption in Kwatts per month?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Ours in South Africa, in the area I stay comes in at 0.2781 per KwH.
    It's really impractical to do a currency exchange, but if you did, we would currently be paying around 4c per kilowatt hour in dollar terms.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    These are the different fees that make up my energy bill each month:

DWR Generation
    SCE Generation
    Ongoing CTC
    DWR Bond Charge
    Transmission Charges
    Distribution Charges
    Nuclear Decommissioning Charges
    Public Purpose Program Charges
    Trust Transfer Amount
    Taxes and Other

It is very confusing in California because although my bill is from one company I actually pay a few different sources for my power at different rates.

All taxes, fees, and generation costs included I pay 12.9 cents per kWH and I average 6kWH per day.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska

Residential:

First 1300 kWh $0.09174 per kilowatt-hour (9 US Cents/kWh)
    $5.65 facility charge per month
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2006
    In Texas we have de-regulated our Electricity, so it varies, but in Houston I've not found anyone less than 12.7 cents per KWh, and I've not seen it higher than 16.3 cents per KWh. 16.3 is from Reliant, as well as a few others. Reliant is the largest re-seller (all power comes from the same company--CenterPoint, with the maybe TXU also having their own grid). With Houston being the A/C capital (or so I've been told) electricity prices really hurt.
    edited November 2006
    Seems like Hawaii is the most expensier state in the US. But I guess nobody would have a folding farm there anyway... lol
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Looks like I get shafted here in California and I think that chart is a bit skewed as none of those prices get close to what I pay.

Summer: 48.4789 cents
    Winter: 27.5826 cents
    edited November 2006
    Sledge, go to your utility's home page and look for a link called "rate" or something like that. It should give you a quick answer. And of course, use the old fashioned search method and look at your last power bill. (I avoid 'hard copy' as much as I can.)
    edited November 2006
    I know... I was posting my rates for the summer and winter. The chart Thrax posted only shows California at .16 cents

Mine was:
    Summer: 48.4789 cents
    Winter: 27.5826 cents
    edited November 2006
    Now I understand why lately all CPU and GPU reviews also involve the performance per watt ratings...

On those rates you can probably by a small folding farm at year´s end with the same money it costs to power everything up.
    edited November 2006
    But $0.16 (16 cents/kWh) is still very high, but then, different regions have different cost of living averages.
  • edited November 2006
    I just changed power companies here in Texas. I was on reliant at 15.5 cents per KWH, but my new reseller is giving me 9.6 cents per KWH. I'm thinking that they quoted me wrong because it's such a large drop, but I'm waiting on my first power bill to find out.

Daxx
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    My power is listed at just under .09/kwh, but the "transmission fees" just about double my power bill.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited November 2006
    $3.80 cdn base charge / month + $0.0633 / kWh

works out to ~$.0565 / kWh in USD.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Here in the metro Milwaukee area the rate is $0.09988/kWhr
    Our household is burning about 1000kWhr/mo
    Right now our fuel adjustment offsets the base charge, almost.
    The electrical portion of my bill runs $100-150/mo depending on hte weather and who is at home.

One thing that the IEA numbers don't reflect is the seasonal variations. Here summer power is only about $0.01/kWhr higher.
    When we lived in OK winter rates were $0.06/kWhr and summer was $0.14/kWhr
    edited November 2006
    Our summer power bills at my home here in Alaska drop down very, very low, to approx. $30-40/month (even with four computers on Folding@Home). No need for air conditioning and nearly 24-hour daylight. Actually, I don't know if the kWh rate changes or not.
    edited November 2006
    Considering that much daylight, are solar generators expensive in Alaska? Are they even considered as a power source?
    edited November 2006
    Solar is not really viable for Alaska. Although the summers are very bright, the winters are very dark, especially late November through January. Solar wouldn't provide enough power in the winter to really accomplish much, but in the summer when there is plenty of sunlight, the power requirements are substantially less.
    edited November 2006
    My total power biill in July - August - September were all over $400.00 it has since than dropped tpo the $210 - $190 range.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2006
    Here in North Wales it's .098p (approx 17 cents) per kWh plus .17p daily charge
  • edited November 2006
    From reading this thread, it seems to me that Texas power companies really stick it to you because they know you are going to be running a high power usage air conditioner to stay cool. Demand for power is high, so the price is jacked up to maximize profits. I'm sure it doesn't cost anymore to produce the power, but the greedy power companies rape us hot Texans so we can stay cool.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    From reading this thread, it seems to me that Texas power companies really stick it to you because they know you are going to be running a high power usage air conditioner to stay cool. Demand for power is high, so the price is jacked up to maximize profits. I'm sure it doesn't cost anymore to produce the power, but the greedy power companies rape us hot Texans so we can stay cool.
    Close, but no see-gar. :)

Power rates are closely tied to peak demand usage, so you're somewhat right about the A/C part. Overall, it really comes down to a matter of simple economics, though.

All US (and many, if not all, Canadian) power plants are tied into a number of power "grids". During times of slow demand only the most efficient (read: cheaper to operate) plants are operating at anywhere near full capacity. As demand increases, less-efficient plants are brought up to speed. At times of extremely high demand (say during a Summer heat wave), even the most expensive plants will be running full-tilt.

When I lived in the Washington, DC area, at times of low demand it was more likely that my electricity was coming from Niagara Falls - hundreds of miles away - than it was from the ancient coal-fired Pepco plant a few miles down the road. One of the projects I was involved with when I was a Building Engineer was to implement a load-shedding program for all our HVAC equipment. It basically powered off the heat or A/C to various parts of the building on a rotating basis. By lowering peak demand usage we got a break on our electric rates.

Residential rates are tied more to regulatory practices than to any perceived "greed" on the part of the utility companies. They are pretty much guaranteed a steady amount of business which increases with the population. They'd just as soon charge us a more reasonable rate year in, year out, while discouraging the types of uses that might make demand increase substantially, forcing them to spring really big bucks to expand their power plant or have to build a new one altogether.

Local differences are also generally due to different tax structures in the various states. Last time I looked, Texas had no personal Income Tax. You can bet that the politicians are going to make up the difference somewhere.
  • edited November 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Close, but no see-gar. :)

Power rates are closely tied to peak demand usage, so you're somewhat right about the A/C part. Overall, it really comes down to a matter of simple economics, though.

All US (and many, if not all, Canadian) power plants are tied into a number of power "grids". During times of slow demand only the most efficient (read: cheaper to operate) plants are operating at anywhere near full capacity. As demand increases, less-efficient plants are brought up to speed. At times of extremely high demand (say during a Summer heat wave), even the most expensive plants will be running full-tilt.

When I lived in the Washington, DC area, at times of low demand it was more likely that my electricity was coming from Niagara Falls - hundreds of miles away - than it was from the ancient coal-fired Pepco plant a few miles down the road. One of the projects I was involved with when I was a Building Engineer was to implement a load-shedding program for all our HVAC equipment. It basically powered off the heat or A/C to various parts of the building on a rotating basis. By lowering peak demand usage we got a break on our electric rates.

Residential rates are tied more to regulatory practices than to any perceived "greed" on the part of the utility companies. They are pretty much guaranteed a steady amount of business which increases with the population. They'd just as soon charge us a more reasonable rate year in, year out, while discouraging the types of uses that might make demand increase substantially, forcing them to spring really big bucks to expand their power plant or have to build a new one altogether.

Local differences are also generally due to different tax structures in the various states. Last time I looked, Texas had no personal Income Tax. You can bet that the politicians are going to make up the difference somewhere.
    Well said, but I still feel gypped after looking at everyone else's rate. And we don't have a state income tax but we do have sales tax. :rant:
    edited November 2006
    Considering these costs for kWh, do you people care about PSU efficiency, PFC, enviroment friendly setups or just go with the cheapest setup possible?

I see those 1000w PSUs :wow2: available in the marked and I still can not understand, again, considering the high electricity operational costs, people still buying them. Something similar to the "8V SUV for going shopping" thing going on in America. :vimp:
  • edited November 2006
    Considering these costs for kWh, do you people care about PSU efficiency, PFC, enviroment friendly setups or just go with the cheapest setup possible?

I see those 1000w PSUs :wow2: available in the marked and I still can not understand, again, considering the high electricity operational costs, people still buying them. Something similar to the "8V SUV for going shopping" thing going on in America. :vimp:
    YES!!!!!

Read this:
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51447