Xbox 360 Vs. PS3

2»

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2006
    I will admit that I am biased towards the 360, but thats only because I can't afford the ps3. I mean its a good system and all, but definately not worth the $500 for the base model. I've played all 3 of the next gen systems, and so far wii is the most impressive to me....overall I think the 360 is the best though. I mean come on sony, why the hell would you use the crappy psp dashboard?
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited November 2006
    I know this is an aspect that few may discuss here, but

PS3 Folding: 1
    X360 Folding: 0

I may get a PS3 solely for this purpose. I understand that it might be more Fold-for-the-dollar than even the best Intel/AMD CPUs out there- but I'm waiting for the numbers and reliability feedback to start coming in. If it's near as good as some are saying it might even make a cost effective farm as I hear it's comparatively power efficient too.

As much criticism as I've seen for Sony, I think this could be THE possible big thumbs-up for the PS3.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2006
    Sorry, but I dont buy gaming systems for folding. While it is a great cause(yes, I fold on my computers), I'd rather buy a ps3 for gaming purposes.
  • edited November 2006
    Oriane wrote:
    As much criticism as I've seen for Sony, I think this could be THE possible big thumbs-up for the PS3.
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the gaming community is far larger than the folding community, so I doubt the PS3's ability to fold will matter at all to most console users out there.

I ,too, fold, but only on systems I need for other purposes.

On a personal note...I got my freezer on Black Friday! Last one in the store when I got there bright and early at 1PM this afternoon. I would have gone earlier, but I just couldn't get motivated about a freezer... Wife is happy though! :tongue:
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited November 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the gaming community is far larger than the folding community, so I doubt the PS3's ability to fold will matter at all to most console users out there.
    On a personal note...I got my freezer on Black Friday! Last one in the store when I got there bright and early at 1PM this afternoon. I would have gone earlier, but I just couldn't get motivated about a freezer... Wife is happy though! :tongue:

Keeping the wife happy is a good thing! And if it will help you feel better- try keeping your ice cream in a Play Station :).

And I can't argue your first statement- but I could be part of a niche market IF they can get folding going.

Well- enjoy your freezer!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I just couldn't get motivated about a freezer... Wife is happy though!
    Well, does it have a motion-activated remote game pad? Huh? Will it fold? I bet it's not even dual core! Sheesh, some people!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The biggest point that came out to me...
    The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA).

It doesn't get any simpler than that. If the PS3 had what the 360 has in terms of development, I am sure it would wipe the floor with the 360. Might just end up like the Dreamcast or something.
  • edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Well, does it have a motion-activated remote game pad? Huh? Will it fold? I bet it's not even dual core! Sheesh, some people!
    Stop!!! I can't keep laughing or I might break free a kidney stone! ;D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    V|P wrote:
    ...the PS3 will continue to expand on some of the best games the world has ever seen like the Final Fantasy series.
    This is exactly how you sell me a console. I had a N64 for the PS1/N64/DC generation and kept hoping that Square, Namco, Enix, et al. would release their RPGs there. No such luck since Nintendo scared them all away. I would go over to my friend's house to watch him play FF7 instead of enjoying it on my new Nintendo console. I even bought a SNES in the meantime just to play all the RPGs I missed there (I went straight from NES to N64). I bought a GameBoy Color not knowing GameBoy Advance was less than 6 months away and GBC would not have more than 4 titles I was interested in.

I will not make the same mistake again.

I bought my PS2 a few months after launch and bought exactly 0 launch titles. Instead, I bought all those PS1 RPGs I had missed out on for the past four years or so. A few months later I bought my first PS2 title: Final Fantasy X.

I will not buy a console that SquareEnix and Namco at a minimum don't release RPGs on.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited November 2006
    the ps3 is going to be way more expensive
    the 360 is probably going to come out with better games
    halo 3 is a winner lol
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited May 2009
    In retrospect, how accurate do these comments seem?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Eeerily accurate :D
    edited May 2009
    Thy mind has been made. :rolleyes:
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    ledbetter wrote:
    In retrospect, how accurate do these comments seem?
    I still don't own a PS3. There's only one exlusive I'm interested in (Valkyria Chronicles) but not enough to sell a $500 console by itself.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited May 2009
    It was a tough choice for me. Ultimately, I went with Sony because of hardware reliability and the fact I have a PC that plays most of the games I can't get on a PS3. As long as your happy, that's what counts!
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    It's been nearly three years since the PS3 came out and I have still yet to see any remarkable games or graphics being pumped out of it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2009
    The biggest hurdle with gaming on the PS3 was it's biggest selling feature - blueray. While the blueray can hold more data it's slow read times limit how much you can get off it in a hury which leads to a lower frame rate and longer load times.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    It's been nearly three years since the PS3 came out and I have still yet to see any remarkable games or graphics being pumped out of it.
    Koreish,
    we bought our PS3 for Blu-Ray, DVDs, Media, and Games. While Uncharted was good, there hasn't been an amazing game in the year we've had it....until now. Infamous is a great platformer and I'm looking forward to Prototype and GoW III.
    edited June 2009
    I suppose when I say remarkable games I mean Sony exclusive. I have heard a lot of good things about Infamous but without GTA or the FF series the PS3 has less draw than it's predecessors. (Gears 3 is still bawx exclusive I believe)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2009
    GoW 3 = God of War. But you'd be right that Gears of War 3 would be a 360 exclusive, not that it's even been announced.
    edited June 2009
    I forget about God of War. Gears3 was announced the moment Gears2 came out.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    bought the xbox 360 because of two words.

dvd firmware.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    leishi85 wrote:
    bought the xbox 360 because of two words.

dvd firmware.

DVD firmware?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    He means hackability.