RPG's

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Gaming
You can count with a pyrotechnics's hand the amount of people in PR who play RPG's. I think the first RPG I played was KOTOR II, so as you can see, I'm late to the party.

I see so many people absorbed by MMORPG's that it has caught my attention (am I gonna regret that later on?). Having never played a tabletop RPG and finding games like KOTOR II a bit hard to understand, what's the easiest way to get into RPG's?

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    The easiest way to get into RPGs is probably through playing older games. The original Final Fantasy on NES is a classic, while later SNES games like Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger are still popular today. These old console games were the kinds of things that got people really interested in RPGs.

The main thing to look for is a story and setting that you can get into. Since RPGs don't have constant action all the time, you gotta have a reason to stay involved in the game. Dungeon Siege is modern enough and pretty simple but still fun to play. I'd recommend it for a first-timer.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I've never played RPG's before.
    I have been playing FPS games especially Unreal Tournament.
    But when they changed the game engine and features all around over the yrs, I finally lost interest. And I played since the original UT came out. Even had a game server for Short-Media and Icrontic for a yr or two.
    So, Like I said, I've never really got into RPG's but I have started to play one.
    Lineage2 Blood Of Oath. Sledge has a link to it in the gaming section here.
    It has a tutorial in the game under your inventory list, which is very helpful in getting you started. I started a new character 3 days ago and have played maybe 5-7 hrs off & on during my free time. I'm already at level 21.
    Main thing is just take your time and use the tutorial as a guide for the beginning at least. Then you can go back to sledges BTT site and check out info on the game which will help you get to higher levels. There's also some good links to other places to get info on the game-- how to get better weapons, armor, class quests, what key commands you can use, etc.
    All in all, It's a lot of fun, and takes very little time to get started.
    It's one of the latest real time RPG's out at the moment I believe.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    World of Warcraft may be a good way to get into it, it ain't hard but it's alot of fun to play. Having played RPG's for so long I don't know what there is to not understand about it.

Take WoW for example, like many RPG's you level your character by killing creatures or completing quests. That's as simple as it can get really, but you can get more into it if you want with professions and such. But also with leveling you also have certain traits on your character that you can bump up as you go as well which can increase many things like defensive/offensive abilities, weapons, certain attacks, etc...

But you can check out Guild Wars as well and not pay a monthly fee, you can solo quite a bit when your new and then as you get used to it join up with a group and go on quests as with most any other game.

Now one game I truly enjoyed and would still play if it did not require so much time and effort is EVE Online, a space combat/mining game. In this game... I don't know how else to describe it but that if you were to create a space based video game and try to make it as real as possible in terms of a video game, this would be it. It can be mundane, or exciting.

Some people like to just mine and build ships and go kill some "rats" aka Pirates. Others.... like to hide out in low security areas waiting to kill unsuspecting travelers... aka Player Pirates. Lots of pirating going on, both NPC(Non Player Character) and Player alike. Really, if I talk about this game anymore I might have to go back to it... I don't know why I enjoyed it so much but damn I had some mundane fun lol!
  • jennifertroijennifertroi Indiana usa
    edited November 2006
    Another good online rpg is fly for fun. It's a killing to level/quest game. Very fun and addictive. Also free, wich is appealing to many people. If your interested in getting into table type rpg's but don't have a lot of time try online games. A good site for those, including an academy for learning is starbase 254. Type that in with the usual dot com and all one word. Large caring RPG group and most of us got our start with Dungeon's and dragons long ago.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    There are tons of MMORPG's and RPG's on the market today and the top dog of the MMORPG is WoW "World of Warcraft" and for a regular RPG I think Oblivion is the top game currently...

I myself am not a huge fan of either, but I have found myself stuck in Lineage 2 which is a MMORPG. It’s hard to say why I like it but it has just captured my interest in which other MMORPG's haven't. I guess the main drive is, it is free & it is a 30x server allowing leveling to take place much faster.  http://www.bttournaments.com/L2

The next RPG I am looking forward to is a game out of the Lord of the Rings era titled The White Council, Looks to be a promising title and I am looking forward to its release.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I like how you put quotes around World of Warcraft. In my mind, it sounded like someone old talking about the "internet". Don't take this post as an insult, though.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I don't use quotation marks anymore. Sledge started using them and the price went up too high. Supply and demand, and all that. ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    LOL! I have to assume from his original post and for our viewers that they don't knwo what WoW is... but now looking back and seeing it is Black Hawk, I should have figured.
  • jennifertroijennifertroi Indiana usa
    edited November 2006
    I have friends who play WoW. It seems very addictive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Eh, it is and it isn't. It can start with a steep early time investment, but it tapers off as you do more in the game. I only play a couple (For real, 2-3 max) hours a night, no more or less than other people watch TV or play their XBoXes. But this is <i>after</I> I lived on the game for a while -- it's not that you couldn't get me off, it's that I had nothing better to do.