Weight Lifting

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Fitness
Awhile ago, I lost about forty pounds through various means, mainly adjusting my diet and exercise. My workouts have since intensified in the summer, and especially since August where I've been able to actually go to a gym (There's only so much you can do with 10 and 20 pound free-weights at home). Ideally, I would like to weigh about 150-155. However, I am unable to achieve any healthy weight gain and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Here is kind of a snap shot of what I do:
Five day split
Monday - Abs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Biceps
Friday - Cardio and whatever I may have missed/needs to be worked out more

I eat three meals a day, although I think ideally I'd like to eat five, focused on protein with minimal fatty/fried foods (Which is difficult here because it's all that is served). Being at college really cockblocks your food intake when there are only specific times I may go. When I first came to college, I weighed 137 and now I weight around 140-142 depending on the day with a body fat of about 8%, but I simply can't gain anymore. Strangely, I've noticed large changes in strength. I could previously run a ten minute mile, now I can run a seven, my bench press was non-existent, now it's around 130, my squat is 370, my deadlift around 140, and curls are around 100.

I'm wondering if I am doing anything wrong, do I need to give it more time, or am I just not the type that's able to build muscle?

Comments

• LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited December 2006
    Nomad wrote:
    Awhile ago, I lost about forty pounds through various means, mainly adjusting my diet and exercise. My workouts have since intensified in the summer, and especially since August where I've been able to actually go to a gym (There's only so much you can do with 10 and 20 pound free-weights at home). Ideally, I would like to weigh about 150-155. However, I am unable to achieve any healthy weight gain and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Five day split
    Monday - Abs
    Tuesday - Chest
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Biceps

I eat three meals a day, although I think ideally I'd like to eat five, focused on protein with minimal fatty/fried foods (Which is difficult here because it's all that is served). Being at college really cockblocks your food intake when there are only specific times I may go. When I first came to college, I weighed 137 and now I weight around 140-142 depending on the day with a body fat of about 8%, but I simply can't gain anymore. Strangely, I've noticed large changes in strength. I could previously run a ten minute mile, now I can run a seven, my bench press was non-existent, now it's around 130, my squat is 370, my deadlift around 140, and curls are around 100.

I'm wondering if I am doing anything wrong, do I need to give it more time, or am I just not the type that's able to build muscle?

Some of your stats are impressive, so you must be doing something right, that or how you arrived at some of your numbers is off somehow. A 140lb guy squating with 370lbs on his shoulders is quite impressive.

Your split has me wondering if you're omitting your back, triceps, and shoulders from your workouts. A lot of exercises will work multiple groups but its good to shoot for two exercises per group at a minimum to ensure you train all your opposing muscle groups. For example, if you work your chest out and never do anything with your back, it will eventually lead to posture problems as your chest tightens up and starts pulling your shoulders forward.

I'm not sure how tall you are but you remind me of a buddy I've had since high school. Hes what everybody calls a "hard gainer." Tall and skinny. The kid never gets fat no matter what he eats, but because of the way his body is configured its hard for him to add a lot of size.

I'm gonna simplify this a bit because I have to get ready for work but in a nutshell you won't be able to add muscle without two things: a surplus of calories in your diet, both carbs and more importantly protein, and the second is you aren't going to to it without picking up some bodyfat along the way though from the sound of it this is going to be less of a problem for you.

You need to keep your protein intake high, 1g of protein per every pound of bodyweight you have at a MINIMUM. 1.5-2g per pound is even better and don't be afraid to throw a boatload of good complex carbohydrates at your body with each meal. 5-6 meals a day is optimum but its not possible for everybody. I work a ten hour shift in a busy district so 5-6 meals a day isn't going to happen for me when I'm working. I still make sure I hit those minimums though by adjusting the caloric and macronutrient content of the meals that I do manage to have.

So, long story short...keep working out...eat more...eat better...and buy a GNC gold card! Start taking some creatine. **Edit to add, if you think its hard getting to the gym in college wait till you get finished and you have a job.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Nomad wrote:

Five day split
    Monday - Abs
    Tuesday - Chest
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Biceps

You aren't doing anything wrong. The only thing I can think of is more calories and more protein over the day. 5 meals isn't a bad idea. We are about the same size and when I'm in shape and work out I do the same thing you do. No real weight gain, no real muscle definition change, but large changes in strength. Just keep at it I guess.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    hah, you look like mr. universe compared to me.

I've started exercising right now after my gf made a remark about my lack of muscles...pissed me off as well as shot some of my ego off the balancing beam. Anyway. I way around 165-170 and I'm pretty skinny all around except for my thighs,butt, and stomach is where I keep my weight. I was really skinny (125 pounds) until over the past year I have put weight on like none other, which was good for a while, but I've gone too far.

This may sound pathetic, but I can do about 4-5 sets of 10 sit-ups/crunches. 5 or so push ups, and I have no free weights. Anyway, no better motivation than the women right? Sorry about the thread jacking, but it sounds like you are doing pretty good. Unlike me, I want to get down to 150, at 170 I am in the 80th percentile on BMI and Height-Weight.

You talk about not building muscle, I hardly build any muscle. And I know that I'm getting plenty of protein. I did ass busting work all summer long constantly lifting 50+pound objects and it barely showed.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I should say, that on Wednesday I do significant back workouts (Rows, etc.,) on Thursday I do triceps, and on Friday I also focus on shoulders. A lot of my strength is definitely in my legs though, thus the kind of awkward squat/dead-lift statistic. I've seen people my weight bench double what I do, so I don't know if it has to do with the density of muscle I may be putting on? Getting to the gym isn't a big problem for me, I have a routine between work and classes that gives me an hour to an hour and a half on any given day.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    You're benching very near your weight - there's nothing wrong with that. In fact that probably places you better than about 90% of Americans. Theory says you should be able to max twice your weight if you can bench your weight. A 140 lb guy who can bench 260 must be built like an upside-down triangle or something... I am having trouble imagining such a scenario unless the guys look like a 4-foot tall version of Arnold.

I just joined a gym a month ago. In that time, I've brought my bench up to about 100, and my max is around 180. I can leg press 310, but I haven't tried squats in about 12 years so I don't know where I stand there.... it sounds like you're making great progress. I also weigh around 140, and my body fat was at 12% last time I measured it (last week), and I also have a hard time putting on weight of any kind. This is really the first time in my life that I have had any kind of muscle mass whatsoever, previously all I could do is tone.

Don't sell yourself short. You're making good progress and working all the muscle groups... it's just a matter of giving things time, and I don't necessarily mean just time at the gym. I was literally unable to put on weight until I was well into my 20s - back in high school and college if I worked out all I would do is lose weight. I weighed 114 (at 5'10") back in high school weight training class and I weighed about 125 through college.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited December 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Theory says you should be able to max twice your weight if you can bench your weight.

Are you saying that if you can bench your weight, your max should be twice that?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    LawnMM wrote:
    Are you saying that if you can bench your weight, your max should be twice that?

That's what my weight training instructor had told us back in high school. If he was wrong... well, I wouldn't be surprised. :D
    edited December 2006
    I've always heard that you should be able to bench your own weight, but it gets difficult when you are smaller (150<) or larger (250>).
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited December 2006
    For football our coach wanted 100 over our bodyweight...I tip the scales at 307 as of 9 am this morning, so I am probably around 308 or 309 right now..

but to help the OP, I'm not a big fan of the "5 day split" that you're using...

I see no back is the main thing concerning me.. and I don't like friday and the whole "cardio and what I forgot". You should train musscles in groups that best work togeather... listen to lawn, hes got it right

now that I got the help outta the way, I can whore my stats...

I have a nike SPARQ rating of 45. Reggie Bush is a 107, he is an amazing athlete
    40 yrd dash 5.1 (outside on turf)
    L shuttle 5.9 (inside)
    standing vertical - 21"
    bench - 315 lbs
    squat - 475 lbs
    deadlift - 279 KG *
    legpress - 454.5 KG *
    and since everyone likes to flaunt their bicepts, I curl 135

at the time of my sparq rating and those stats I was
    weight 298.6 lbs
    Height 6' 1"
    chest 56"
    bicepts 16.5"
    waist 44"
    calf 19.5"
    thy - 27"

I have been lazy for a few weeks, so I have been putting weight on, but I am starting a very serious cutting cycle and I want to drop about 40 lbs...

* actaul competition weight, not at a compeition though. The deadlift is a national record for my age/weight class but it was not offical so my name isnt anywhere...
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. If you have a fast metabolism, eat like it's your job, I'm not kidding. Eat, eat and then eat some more. Lots of fibre with your protien.

I see from your split, you didn't mention back or triceps.
    Do you just not focus on them?
    edited December 2006
    also, a thing that I feel most people neglect is fore arms... also, do some neck exersizes, and rotar cuff...
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited December 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    That's what my weight training instructor had told us back in high school. If he was wrong... well, I wouldn't be surprised. :D

Uh yeah, he's an idiot. End of college I was maxing out around 250 and I was weighing in at about 195lbs...250 is beyond my own body weight but its a far cry from 390lbs

I just got back into the gym a few months ago, I want to get my max up to 300 this time around.
    edited December 2006
    I was typing quickly, so let me elaborate on my five day split.

Monday I do abdominal workout and also a bit of cardio.
    Tuesday:
    I do chest, primarily bench, flys, alternating dumbbell presses, push ups, inclined bench.
    Wednesday:
    I do legs and back, but the reason I don't do back in conjunction with other muscle groups is I over exert myself or I am unable to spend the proper amount of time to really do what is required. Squats, deadlift, lunges, rows, lat-raises, inclined rows.
    Thursday:
    I primarily do biceps and triceps together, since a lot of exercises overlap.
    Friday:
    I do more cardio here and then shoulders. When I say 'anything else I missed' it's because there's really a limited amount I can do a day, I've found after about 45 minutes to an hour, you're really not doing any more benefit for yourself.

I tried another workout methodology, where it would work out multiple muscle groups at the same time, but I found by the end of the week, I was overworking key groups that get utilized in a lot of exercises. Since switching to a 'five-day split' after talking to a friend who has had a lot of success with it, I've noticed big increases in strength, and more changes physically than with the other program.
    edited December 2006
    Nomad wrote:
    I was typing quickly, so let me elaborate on my five day split.

Monday I do abdominal workout and also a bit of cardio.
    Tuesday:
    I do chest, primarily bench, flys, alternating dumbbell presses, push ups, inclined bench.
    Wednesday:
    I do legs and back, but the reason I don't do back in conjunction with other muscle groups is I over exert myself or I am unable to spend the proper amount of time to really do what is required. Squats, deadlift, lunges, rows, lat-raises, inclined rows.
    Thursday:
    I primarily do biceps and triceps together, since a lot of exercises overlap.
    Friday:
    I do more cardio here and then shoulders. When I say 'anything else I missed' it's because there's really a limited amount I can do a day, I've found after about 45 minutes to an hour, you're really not doing any more benefit for yourself.

I tried another workout methodology, where it would work out multiple muscle groups at the same time, but I found by the end of the week, I was overworking key groups that get utilized in a lot of exercises. Since switching to a 'five-day split' after talking to a friend who has had a lot of success with it, I've noticed big increases in strength, and more changes physically than with the other program.

when you do squat, make sure to one week do front squat and the next parrarell the next.. I like to do them in the same week, but since you are only squatting once, just go from on to the other.. *NOTE* front squat is one of the best ways to shape your teardrop in your quads
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited December 2006
    LiLbRo wrote:
    I have a nike SPARQ rating of 45. Reggie Bush is a 107, he is an amazing athlete
    40 yrd dash 5.1 (outside on turf)
    L shuttle 5.9 (inside)
    standing vertical - 21"
    bench - 315 lbs
    squat - 475 lbs
    deadlift - 279 KG *
    legpress - 454.5 KG *
    and since everyone likes to flaunt their bicepts, I curl 135

at the time of my sparq rating and those stats I was
    weight 298.6 lbs
    Height 6' 1"
    chest 56"
    bicepts 16.5"
    waist 44"
    calf 19.5"
    thy - 27"
    I can pick a 30' 6x6 acq 5 feet off the ground.
    edited December 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    I can pick a 30' 6x6 acq 5 feet off the ground.
    sounds impressive :)
    if that sounded sarcastic, it wasnt, but I have no idea what that is or what it weighs :(
    edited December 2006
    LiLbRo wrote:
    sounds impressive :)
    if that sounded sarcastic, it wasnt, but I have no idea what that is or what it weighs :(
    ACQ = Pressure treated wood.
    edited December 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    ACQ = Pressure treated wood.
    nice... I rekon thats pretty heavy
  • edited December 2006
    i curl between 330-350 grams repeatedly throughout the evening. of course, my weights get smaller and smaller as i curl, until i get a fresh beer and i'm back up to 330-350 grams again.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    lightnin wrote:
    i curl between 330-350 grams repeatedly throughout the evening. of course, my weights get smaller and smaller as i curl, until i get a fresh beer and i'm back up to 330-350 grams again.

Heh, that's the routine I've been on recently. I'm still paying for my gym membership, but I'm down to about once a month :shakehead. Hard to get back into the habit.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    i do a lot of sit ups daily. i used to be chubby but started doing sit ups now i do 2 sets of 75 to 100 about 3 times a day. now i got the six pack. i dont eat much so i take whey protien and calorie drinks.But im not up there yet in the weights and i want to be,but just cant get past these weights. i weigh 150 maxing bench at 160 and 1 arm curl at 60. but i want to get big and overcome the amount of weight im stuck at. so if anyone has some arm gaining techniqes/plans send them here.
    edited December 2006
    i do a lot of sit ups daily. i used to be chubby but started doing sit ups now i do 2 sets of 75 to 100 about 3 times a day. now i got the six pack. i dont eat much so i take whey protien and calorie drinks.But im not up there yet in the weights and i want to be,but just cant get past these weights. i weigh 150 maxing bench at 160 and 1 arm curl at 60. but i want to get big and overcome the amount of weight im stuck at. so if anyone has some arm gaining techniqes/plans send them here.
    Gain some weight, then work out if your wanting to get big.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    I lurk (and occasionally post) over at this site. There are a few "musclehead" types over there, but also quite a few people who know what they're talking about.
    edited December 2006
    when I posted my stats they were a little old... I just got a PR in leg press today. 1300 lbs 2 full reps after lift off... it was hard, but I think that in a little while I could get it up to 1400 soon.. its on video, I will see if I can get it from the guy that has it
    edited December 2006

Are those your max statistics? Ideally, you should not be working out with your max every time you go out. I can max bench my weight, but doing that (Only ten reps) doesn't constitute a good work out. Maybe lower your weight a bit, focus on more reps with good form. Also, whey protein is supposed to make up for lost protein, not substitute a meal. It should be taken with some sort of food, to allow it to better metabolize. You should eat more carbohydrates (rice, wheats) since more of your diet has been freed up.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    i dont work out with my max.in fact i really never max.them stats were from the last time i hit the gym and maxed.i work out at home on 1 machine with a verticle press and a peck fly.and some curl bars.but i dont have enough weights to max.what works your bicepts the most one arm curl or 2.i also read that the tricept is bigger than ur bicept and if u get big tricepts they will make you look bigger.i only know one tri workout and its the behind the head curl thing and that dont work for me.
    edited December 2006
    i dont work out with my max.in fact i really never max.them stats were from the last time i hit the gym and maxed.i work out at home on 1 machine with a verticle press and a peck fly.and some curl bars.but i dont have enough weights to max.what works your bicepts the most one arm curl or 2.i also read that the tricept is bigger than ur bicept and if u get big tricepts they will make you look bigger.i only know one tri workout and its the behind the head curl thing and that dont work for me.

Your biceps get bigger through a lot of different exercises, but your biceps often get enough work from just doing pull-ups (probably one of the most underrated but tedious workout exercises). What works best for a lot of people in terms of building strength with your biceps is a combination. I like to do dumb bells in both hands, but raising them at the same time. You'll notice a substantial increase in your overall dumb bell curl (Especially where you're curling one weight with both hands, I went from 40 pounds to a 100 pounds with this method in two months). Also, hammer curls, preacher curls, and inclined curls develop your forearm and bicep more quickly than simple curls.

Triceps do make you look bigger, but unbalanced arm workouts make you look really strange, because the underside (tricep) is huge, and the bicep isn't very defined. The tricep isn't often worked out, and it's easy to see growth in it fairly quickly, I suppose if you're going for looks that may be the route to take, but I wouldn't suggest it.

The 'behind the head' tricep exercise doesn't work so well for me either. I personally prefer 'the rope' on cables. However, since I'm guessing you don't have this ability, I'd suggest tricep kick-backs, close-grip bench press, and laying barbell extensions are great alternatives.
    edited December 2006
    Triceps, I do French curls, they're hard to start out, but once you get used to them and are able to add weight its a great workout.