New Build?

fvsfvs
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I'm thinking about doing a new build, So far I selected
Intel D965RY motherboard
Intel CPU PD805 2,66G 775
Cosair mem pair 512MB

I'd like to know if I selected a good choice to start a desktop workstation for light duty multimedia and a bit of office business.
Like to have a few opinions before I get into it. fvs

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    You would be better served getting an E6300 and at least 1Gb of RAM.

Datsun 1600
  • fvsfvs
    edited December 2006
    You would be better served getting an E6300 and at least 1Gb of RAM.

Datsun 1600
    Thanks I would, But don't have the budget right now. Any other choices?
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    Intel have a price drop on the 7th of January on selected CPUs, so waiting might get you a better deal.

Datsun 1600
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    If you simply can't afford a Core Duo system, you should still not get the D805. Instead, you should consider the D915 or D930. Both of the latter two CPUs will clock higher, consume less power, and produce less heat. They are definitely worth the price premium over the 805. The D915 would be my first choice. It's power consumption/performance ratio is essentially the same as the 930 but it is less expensive. The only difference is that the 915 has Virtualization instructions turned off.

Also, if you can find an affordable Core Duo capable board that accepts the
    D series CPUs, you should consider that. That way, your step up to Core Duo later on will be relatively simple, requiring only the CPU purchase.

Unfortunately, my P5WD2s are not Conroe compatible. :sad2:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I thought about this thread when I came across this article ...http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=714230&starttime=0&endtime=0
    If this is true then Intel is set to cut core 2 duo prices 40%. This is a significant cut. Does it now become affordable?
  • fvsfvs
    edited December 2006
    I really considering the price and need to stay within my budget which is around $350
    for the whole box,so far this is what I have been considering.
    BOXD946GZISSL 84.99
    corsair VS1GBKIT533D2 105.99
    Nic TEG-PCITXR 13.99
    CPU BX80551PE2666FN 93.00
    Foxcon ATX mid tower 31.99

I'm running Linux Suse right now and I don't know if I even need dual core, I do like to be up to date with this build, need some more input.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    It's not really about dual core FVS, though it really helps with the smoothness of any OS experience, it's in the fact that the Core 2s are 30-40% faster than the Pentium 4s at the same speed. It's worth waiting to see if the prices come into your budget, I feel.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It's not really about dual core FVS, though it really helps with the smoothness of any OS experience, it's in the fact that the Core 2s are 30-40% faster than the Pentium 4s at the same speed. It's worth waiting to see if the prices come into your budget, I feel.

I definitely agree. Time is on your side, if you can wait for core 2 you will not be dissapointed.:cool2: