hey, profdlp, about that dual-core thing...

rachaelrachael saaaf of the river
edited December 2006 in Folding@Home
now that it's the christmas hols it's about time i got back to you to ask how i can get my dual-core processor working harder.

festive folding greetings,

rachx

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    You will need to download the Console version, as you can only run one instance of the GUI.

How you set it up depends if you have Broadband, how much RAM you have and if you want to run it as a Service.

Datsun 1600
  • rachaelrachael saaaf of the river
    edited December 2006
    cheers datsun!

do you mean i can run one instance of the GUI and download an additional console version, or that i need to uninstall the GUI and run two instances of the console?

in the latter case would it be a good idea to check 'pause when done' on the GUI so that it doesn't begin a new WU and i can make the switch?

i have broadband, 1GB of RAM and no clue what you mean by 'run it as a service' :dunce: heh, heh

atb, rx
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    rachael wrote:
    cheers datsun!

do you mean i can run one instance of the GUI and download an additional console version, or that i need to uninstall the GUI and run two instances of the console?

in the latter case would it be a good idea to check 'pause when done' on the GUI so that it doesn't begin a new WU and i can make the switch?

i have broadband, 1GB of RAM and no clue what you mean by 'run it as a service' :dunce: heh, heh

atb, rx
    You can run one gui and one console or two consoles. Make sure both clients are in seperate folders. If you run gui+console configure the gui as machineID=1 and the console as machineID=2. If you run 2 consoles just make sure that they have a different machineID like 1 & 2.
    edited December 2006
    nooooooo!

i just downloaded the console and didn't (seem) to have the option of specifying a folder for it, and then the GUI client appeared to lose the WU on which it had been working. at least it was only a small one...

a question... can the console accomodate the pc being rebooted/ shut down every now and then without hassle?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, it won't cause any problems with the console if you shut the computer down while it is running.
    edited December 2006
    csimon wrote:
    You can run one gui and one console or two consoles. Make sure both clients are in seperate folders. If you run gui+console configure the gui as machineID=1 and the console as machineID=2. If you run 2 consoles just make sure that they have a different machineID like 1 & 2.
    another question, i'm afraid!

how/at what point do you tell the GUI what it's machine id is?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    Since you seem to have lost the WU the GUI was running, it may be a good time to set up two console versions.

This is the most succinct way I can find to explain how.

Sorry I'm so late to the thread. :vimp:
    edited December 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Since you seem to have lost the WU the GUI was running, it may be a good time to set up two console versions.

This is the most succinct way I can find to explain how.

Sorry I'm so late to the thread. :vimp:

better late than never :wink: and you are quite right about it being a good time to set up two console versions.

thanks for the link- succinct indeed! no bad thing, tho', short'n'sweet!

cheers! rx
    edited December 2006
    well, two consoles are now up and running :thumbsup:

does anyone know if the two consoles run the same WU as each other? i.e. is production upped by dint of duplicating work?

come to think of it, how does the second core get involved? how does the computer know to do that?

why do i ask questions like a five-year old?! why? why? why?

sorry to be annoying, i'm just naturally curious... if anyone can point me towards any explanations i'd be most interested!

night, night xxx
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2006
    rachael wrote:
    ...does anyone know if the two consoles run the same WU as each other? i.e. is production upped by dint of duplicating work?
    They'll occasionally get the same type of WU, but only by coincidence. (Or due to the fact that Stanford sends the same type out in batches, meaning that lots of other folks will be getting the same ones, too.) Each core will work independently of the other.
    ...how does the second core get involved? how does the computer know to do that?
    Your Operating System and the Folding program itself will detect the separate cores automatically similar to the way they determine the speed of the CPU, whether you have a modem or a Network Card installed, etc. A Dual-Core CPU is essentially two CPU's which happen to be built into the same bit of silicon. Like duplex homes (essentially one building) which each have their own kitchen, bathroom, etc, each core comes equipped with a separate set of everything. (With the exception that most Dual-Core processors share the same internal cache, which is a small bit of memory built into the CPU used to handle repetitive small tasks.)
    why do i ask questions like a five-year old?! why? why? why?

sorry to be annoying, i'm just naturally curious...
    The people I worry about are the ones who are never curious about anything. Having a naturally inquisitive mind is a good thing. :woowoo:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2006
    With the AMD Dual Core processors each core has their own L1 and L2 cache. For example: 128KB+128KB L1 and 2x512KB L2 for the Windsor Dual Core (2GHz 65W)
    edited December 2006
    thanks for the info, prof and danball! my curiosity is satisfied (for now at least :rolleyes2 )
    profdlp wrote:
    The people I worry about are the ones who are never curious about anything
    i am in complete agreement on that. however, the uninquisitive often seem to be happier so perhaps there's something to be said for it!
    profdlp wrote:
    Having a naturally inquisitive mind is a good thing
    well, you'd think so...

thanks for your patience in replying :)

hopefully we shall see a small leap in my stats shortly :woowoo: