IHS removal and reattachment on Opteron 939 / Athlon 64

124»

Comments

• edited December 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    You'll end up with a watercooling system full of diatom algae and bad corrosion in the blocks and radiator without some sort of coolant in the water.

you're absolutely right... thats why when i switched to a thicker tubing, i had realized that not only were my pipes getting that horrible white deposit on them, but that yes, things could grow in the water. so i now use 50/50 antifreeze/water mix. only problem i had with it at first was that when i had a pump leak, i had rather slimy (grom the glycol) crud in the bottom of the case. a bit of alcohol and my LED flashlight got it all up. i use the flashlight becasue it has enough blue/UV in it to light up green the antifreeze
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I use MCT-5 now and I get just a hint of the white slime. I'll probably use prestone 50/50 next since I have a gallon sitting around.
  • edited December 2006
    Hello everyone!
    First of all, this is my first post here at short-media. :wink:

The hole reason I joined was to post here! This is the most comprehensive and exhaustive thread on this topic I have ever seen :eek:

I too am planning to remove my Internal Heat Spreader on my AMD 64 3000+ and wanted to know if you guy's think these are any good > frozencpu/products/5265/shm-07/Microcool_Core_Protective_Rubbers (NOTE: I was not allowed to post links so add . h t m l at end & w w w. at beginning, lol sorry :doh: )

I will be using this mod along with the following cooling setup >
    Danger Den (DD) Double Heater Core x3
    DD 12V DD-D5 Pump
    eBay 400W 12V 33A Switching Power Supply
    MCW60-T (TEC version)
    1/2" ID tubing
    MAZE4-1 Peltier Version
    320W Cooling Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler

Along with all the good stuff, e.g.- conformal coating, dielectric grease, neoprene ext...

My Video card is a xfx 7900 gt Modle: PV-T71G-UDF7
    And a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz (will oc both as much as possible!)

Do you think my setup will handel this much heat? Will the gaskets I showed you cause condensation problems with cpu? Is it better to just use Dielectric?

:confused2
  • edited December 2006
    well, as a quick reply, (even tho I did not yet get TEC setup, *but Will*) I have removed my heat spreader.

However, my temps are higher then before!!!!!!!!! :bawling:

Whats up wit that?

Full load 3200+ 2.0GHz Venice core @ 2.78GHz 1.6v Vcore 2.0 LTD/FSB 100MHz dram @ 48c

AFTER>

Full load 3200+ 2.0GHz Venice core @ 2.78GHz 1.6v Vcore 2.0 LTD/FSB 100MHz dram @ 52c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- I am using a coolermaster mini r-80 water cooler. I want my PC to run cold so I can stably run at 2.8! This way my PC will be :leet: But its not happening the way things are going now.

Please help!!!!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    What are using to load it down with? It takes a while for the TIM to settle but it should be at least a little lower I would think.
  • edited December 2006
    csimon wrote:
    What are using to load it down with?

What do you mean, Load it down with? I have the 939 mounting plate and as5 compound spread out evenly on the core.

It's tight too. Very tight actually. (not way too much, but snug)

EDIT: Ohh, do you mean load software? > prime 95
  • edited December 2006
    Well, I just reseated my waterblock on the CPU and put new coating of as5 (even more this time!) But still no luck :banghead:

Im at a 36c idle, as apposed to a normal 22-24 idle! (ambient air temp is the same, if not lower, as I turned my heat off!)

EDIT: OMG, I'm at a 40c idle now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    lol

I turned My overclock down to stock, tightened down my water block to the point where it cannot be tightened any more or something will break, and my temps are still way higher then they were originally!!!

I am 95.9998% sure that I did not nick any transistors when I took my IHS off. Any Ideas???

I am clue less!:eek3: :eek3::eek3:
  • edited December 2006
    Anyone?
  • edited December 2006
    Did you use electrical tape to cover over the SMDs around the core after removing the IHS?
  • edited December 2006
    NO, I did not, But I really did not think that was all too nesacery, but heck, I'll try anything.

Let me do that and I will see how it goes from their.

Thank you very much!!!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited December 2006
    Hey Amodedude1,

It sounds to me like you've got uneven contact on the core. Definitely inspect the socket area very closely to make sure that the block is not obstructed by the protruding socket edge or something else on the board. You should 99.9% of the time see at least 3'C decrease from the IHS removal (usually more). Mounting becomes a real challenge without the IHS, so definitely keep trying to adjust your block until you get it right-on. Additional pressure can help, but definitely use the electrical tape as it'll help to protect the SMDs (very easy to damage them).

Best of luck! :cheers: and welcome to Short-Media.