Anyone Set UP an SMP Client Yet?

Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
edited April 2007 in Folding@Home
I saw the WUs assigned to this beta project and I am considering migrating my two dedicated dual core machines from windows /2 console clients to Linux 64 /1 SMP client.

Has anyone tried this yet and see if there is a improvement of PPD with the new client?

Check these WUs out!

2603 171.64.65.56 p2603_Protein in POPC 77373 4.00 12.00 5.00 100 GRO-SMP Description kasson
2604 171.64.65.56 p2604_Protein in POPC 77373 4.00 8.00 1210.00 100 GRO-SMP Description kasson
2605 171.64.65.56 p2605_Protein in POPC 77373 3.00 4.00 1760.00 100 GRO-SMP Description kasson
3006 171.64.65.56 p3006_SMP-msv-99p 10066 4.00 12.00 587.00 100 GRO-SMP Description densign
3007 171.64.65.56 p3007_SMP-msv-03 10066 1.00 12.00 587.00 100 GRO-SMP Description densign
3008 171.64.65.56 p3008_SMP-nsv-99p 10066 4.00 12.00 587.00 100 GRO-SMP Description densign
3009 171.64.65.56 p3009_SMP-nsv-03 10066 4.00 12.00 587.00 100 GRO-SMP Description densign

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    Keep an eye on these for us, if it works out I'll be learning Linux at some point.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I'm not ready to jump into Linux on my hi-end PC's yet. I use them for gaming and DVD editing. When F@H puts out a Windows version, I'm all over it!!!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Looking good, but I'm going to wait for it to show up in Gentoo Portage before I try to use it.

-drasnor :fold:
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited November 2006
    It seems a windows version is not projected for the near future... dunno why but it´ll help me introduce myself into the linux world. I´ll get back when I have some hard numbers on PPD with the new setup.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    It seems a windows version is not projected for the near future... dunno why but it´ll help me introduce myself into the linux world. I´ll get back when I have some hard numbers on PPD with the new setup.

I'd go with Ubuntu if you've got a machine to play with. Fairly simple to use.

Q, maybe you need to switch the machine over to dual-boot?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Ah.... nope. Right now, my Dual Opteron is also my Remote Desktop PC/ gateway to my local network.
    edited November 2006
    What about Suse? I´ve got 10.1 ready to install. Aint it good?
  • 7im7im AZ
    edited November 2006
    All SMP WUs are Big WUs, so all SMP WUs have a 2x bonus. And Stanford probably kicks in a little extra for donating the extra resources. The PPDs reported on the Folding-Community forum have been up there.

Certainly worth a look, even if you just boot Linux from a Live CD. You don't have to convert the whole PC to 'nix just to fold SMP WUs. ;)
    edited November 2006
    7im wrote:
    All SMP WUs are Big WUs, so all SMP WUs have a 2x bonus. And Stanford probably kicks in a little extra for donating the extra resources. The PPDs reported on the Folding-Community forum have been up there.

Certainly worth a look, even if you just boot Linux from a Live CD. You don't have to convert the whole PC to 'nix just to fold SMP WUs. ;)

Just out of curiosity, are you the same 7im moderator from the Folding community forums?
    edited November 2006
    SuSE is O.K. in my book, YaST can be a pain sometimes but overall it is one of the better RPM distros. I've even gotten it to work on a laptop.

• 7im7im AZ
    edited November 2006
    Just out of curiosity, are you the same 7im moderator from the Folding community forums?

Wasn't my avatar description enough of a clue? ;)
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited November 2006

Yes he sure is. :)

Welcome to Short-Media 7im. :)

Shal

I am looking into this linux thing as well, i have a lot of learning to do as i have never delved into it before.
    edited November 2006
    7im wrote:
    Wasn't my avatar description enough of a clue? ;)

LOL I guess not... what catched my eye was the Team 93 button pointing to your stats for our arch-enemy ARS Technica!! :wow2: :shakehead

Anyway.... I managed to install Suse 10.1 x64 without problems so I´ll later try to install the SMP client with the instructions from F@H FAQs... I still havent found out how to install proggies into linux yet :dunce:
    edited November 2006
    Here´s an update:

I just finished successfully one of those 587 pointer WUs (a 3007)! They are doing just a tad less than 10min per frame so thats about 16hours per WU.

This is with my experimental setup consisting in a AM2 x3 3800+ @ 2.5Ghz with 1Gb (2x512Mb) DDR2 533Mhz.

If my math is good, thats about 880PPD. A nice bonus considering I runned 2 console instances crunching those 5way melts on them!! That is near what I do in PPD with my X1900XTX alone...

I´ll be migrating my other folding machine, similar to the one above but with a X2 4000+ @ 2.5Ghz and see how much the cache difference impacts on frame speeds.

BTW, with oced C2Ds, people are getting 1000-1500PPD!!!

I believe we can get back on track and raise the Team´s overall PPD productivity back to 100.000+
  • edited November 2006
    3100 PPD off a quad Woodcreast box :woowoo: (not mine sadly)

Hope to have a Virtual Machine (VMware) done here in a little bit, will allow running SMP client in per built (read moron [marty] proof, plug an play) with a ~ 5% hit if OS is x64 (2k4 x64/XP x64) ~ 20% hit if OS is x32. @ 5% the bonus more than make up the differance.

Trick #2: Use VM's and GPU client on the same box... :thumbsup: Not a spare cycle to waste! Well, my theory at least. Neat part is it's bonus points 24/7. Currently only way to run these 2 clients on the same box.

I loaded up Fedora x64 and got it folding and I'm a totally nix newbie.

@ 7im- your grumpy to often lately.

Hi Shal...... hehe :tongue::p:tongue::rant: (I just like that last guy)
    edited November 2006
    I am not sure if it´ll run under a VM.... that would be cool though...
    edited November 2006
    What about Suse? I´ve got 10.1 ready to install. Aint it good?

suse 10.1's cool too. :)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    I just dl'ed Ubuntu, got a spare HD, we'll see if IC-6 likes the SMP client. I have to wait for the current wus to finish.

I'd use my other rig, but I have to use Clock-gen to boost the chips a little, and I don't feel like putting the 1.6s back in IC6.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    an update,

IC6 has Ubuntu installed (for now anyway). I've got a p3008 wu at 4% complete it's about 10min per %. Dual 248's and 1 gig ram.
    edited November 2006
    Nice! Thats the same I get with a x2 3800+ oced to 2.5Ghz and 1Gb of ram.

Its about 800-900PDD.

Anyone with a dedicated dual core or dual processor machine, should jump into the SMP bandwaggon, it wont disappoint!! :D
    edited November 2006
    I wrote an init script for all of you Gentoo users that want to use the SMP client.

First (as root):
    mkdir /opt/foldingathome
    cd /opt/foldingathome
    wget http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ekasson/folding/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
    tar -xvf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
    ./fah5 -configonly

Then, create this file:
    Contents of /etc/init.d/foldingathome:
    #!/sbin/runscript
    # Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
    # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

start() {
    ebegin "Starting Folding@Home SMP Client"
    cd /opt/foldingathome/
    start-stop-daemon --chdir /opt/foldingathome/ --nicelevel 19 --start --background --exec ./fah5
    eend $?
    }

stop() {
    ebegin "Stopping Folding@Home SMP Client"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --exec /opt/foldingathome/fah5
    for I in FahCore*.exe; do
    if ps ax|grep $I > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    killall -q $I > /dev/null 2>&1
    fi
    done
    sleep 1
    if ps ax|grep '[/]opt[/]foldingathome/client${CPU}/' > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    eend 1
    else
    eend 0
    fi
    }

I based it off of the existing Gentoo FAH initscript so kudos to the guys that wrote that.

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    Thanks drasnor,:thumbsup:

A new smp beta client was released todayhttp://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic17075.html
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2006
    Not to shabby,
    Clipboard01.jpg

First SMP unit was on the 30th. (This is on SM6)

I might switch my other Opty rig over. The only drawback would be losing the overclock (from 2.2 back to 1.6). AFAIK, Clockgen doesn't run under Linux.
    edited December 2006
    Told ya :D This client kick major *ss on PPDs!

It would really up the team´s PPD if more people turn their dual cores into this new project. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I just realized one of my DC is working on a 2605 WU. Thats a 1760 pointer :wow2: and its doing 20min per frame :wow:

Thats like 1200PPD if my math isnt bad. :rockon:
    edited December 2006
    Donut wrote:
    Not to shabby,
    Clipboard01.jpg

First SMP unit was on the 30th. (This is on SM6)

I might switch my other Opty rig over. The only drawback would be losing the overclock (from 2.2 back to 1.6). AFAIK, Clockgen doesn't run under Linux.

nice! What distro you go with? Do-able for other SMx'ers?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2006
    Right now I'm using Ubuntu 6.1( I think, it's the latest Ubuntu.)

I don't believe it would work for most of the SMXers because of having to be 64 bit. Although it would work if somebody had some dual-core AMD's in their farms (I'm also not sure about the dual core Intels. It should work.)

From what I've read around, it can be run off of a Live CD if somebody wanted to take it for a test drive.

As a disclaimer, this is a beta FAH client, you will EUE some wu's (I saw 3 in a row download, start, fail, in a couple minutes time)
    edited December 2006
    Donut wrote:
    Right now I'm using Ubuntu 6.1( I think, it's the latest Ubuntu.)

I don't believe it would work for most of the SMXers because of having to be 64 bit. Although it would work if somebody had some dual-core AMD's in their farms (I'm also not sure about the dual core Intels. It should work.)

From what I've read around, it can be run off of a Live CD if somebody wanted to take it for a test drive.

As a disclaimer, this is a beta FAH client, you will EUE some wu's (I saw 3 in a row download, start, fail, in a couple minutes time)

LiveCD would probably be good...should be able to move that to a USB thumbdrive too. I don't have time today, but I should eventually be able to look into this.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    Conroe E6600 @ 2.7Ghz using Suse 64 10.2 running Protein p3026 (691 points) for 1091PPD.

My first attempt at Linux.

Datsun 1600
    edited December 2006
    Whats your time to frame?

Check within a terminal window, the current speed of your c2d with ´cat /proc/cpuinfo´ and see if it says 2700Mhz...
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    Whats your time to frame?

Check within a terminal window, the current speed of your c2d with ´cat /proc/cpuinfo´ and see if it says 2700Mhz...
    9 minutes per frame.

2700Mhz is set in BIOS, will take some time to get up to speed with Linux.

Datsun 1600