What is the best Internet Security package?

edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
Hi guys,

For a few years now been using Norton Internet Security but since it does use a lot of resources I am sure there are or is a better product out there. Apart from ZoneAlarm can anyone recommend something similar to Norton Internet Security with a Firewall and Antivirus which is a lot better and doesnt cost the earth please?

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    I use Zone Alarm and AVG Antivirus free version.

Datsun 1600
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited December 2006
    I use Zone Alarm and AVG Antivirus free version.

Datsun 1600

SNAP

i used to use norton, till i woke up and smelt the resources (or lack of)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    I'd use ZA and AVG if I used security.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Here's my standard load of antivirus/ antispyware programs that I use on my main system and install on computers I repair:

Sygate Personal Firewall
    Ad-Aware SE
    AVG antivirus free
    AVG antispyware free
    Spyware Blaster

Windows XP Home SP2 with the DCOM and RPC services modified. Change the recovery option from "restart the computer" to "restart the service". And from 1 minute to 0 minutes.

Then a variety of media players and codecs and office programs, depending on the needs of the user.

No Norton, no McAfee, no programs that cost money. I rarely have any serious problems!:thumbsup:
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited December 2006
    I abandoned Symantec AV and Firewall products for the same reasons. They're too entangled w/ the OS and they're resource hungry. ZA's user interface is too limited.

This is what I use now and I've been really happy w/ them:

Comodo Firewall (free)
    NOD32 AV
    Adaware Professional w/ Adwatch (set to high)
    Spybot S&D
    Spyware Blaster (free version - professional version is resource hungry)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    What really is the point of a software firewall if you have a router based firewall already? It just seems to be overkill if you ask me. And I ain't affraid of jinxing myself when I say that other than the usual spyware cookie on my computer I don't get virus's or anything serious. Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D 1.4, with AVG 7.5 do everything I need.
    edited December 2006
    RWB wrote:
    What really is the point of a software firewall if you have a router based firewall already? It just seems to be overkill if you ask me. And I ain't affraid of jinxing myself when I say that other than the usual spyware cookie on my computer I don't get virus's or anything serious. Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D 1.4, with AVG 7.5 do everything I need.

There's plenty of reason for both a hardware and software firewall. I consider my router as a "coarse" filter and the software firewall as a "fine" filter. Each serves a specific set of purposes. Aside from blocking malware trying to connect f-r-o-m your computer to the web (while your router sits fat dumb and happy), a good configurable software firewall can kill those pesky apps that constantly want to connect to the web (unnecessarily) when a program is run (or not run for that matter). Yes, a lot of these can be killed in the apps' UI or in the registry, etc. but there are those that are hellbent on connecting to the web. Locking them down w/ my software firewall has been the only resolution in some cases. Often, an app will perform better (open more quickly) when it isn't trying to connect to the web.

A software firewall will also alert me (and has more than a few times) to hostile web sites and their attempts to load malware onto my computer - catching them in the act so to speak - b-e-f-o-r-e they install/download the malware to my computer. Once the malware's allowed to install, t-h-e-n your AV and/or anti-spyware apps m-a-y detect it. That's too late for me. The horse is already outta the barn. Prevention is the best measure. Anyway, a router's going to do nothing about this either.

Finally, I want to know what's going on behind the curtain and my firewall let's me know. (at least more than I'd know w/out it)

Ok, that's my dollar two ninety eight cents worth!
  • ez1ez1
    edited December 2006
    what i do for example
    a registry cleaner -i use three all seem to grab what the other missed
    spyware - again 3 apps 4 the same reason above
    every once in a while i let Trend scan my computer - as it takes a while
    virus - avg free seems 2 work well for me .
  • edited December 2006
    So anyone recommend an all in one package please? I dont mind paying as long as its good :-)
    edited December 2006
    So anyone recommend an all in one package please? I dont mind paying as long as its good :-)

IMHO, the all-in-one packages (at least those from the major manufacturers like McAfee & Symantec) tend to be either too entangled w/ the OS or resource hungry or both anymore. I used utility suites for many years but don't anymore for these reasons.

I now pick the best products I can find for each task and manage them indepently. (AV, Spyware, Firewall, etc.) This has proven to be helpful as far as system maintenance. If I have problems w/ one utility or want to change it for another, I don't have to throw the baby out w/ the bath water or endure unnecessary duplication of functionality between utilities, etc. in order to make a change or effect repairs.
  • ez1ez1
    edited December 2006
    what it boils down to try a few programs see what works best 4 you
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2006
    RWB wrote:
    There still very very useful. If say one of your clients on your network is infected by a virus thats network bound and another client on the network doesn't have the patch firewall's on all pc's would prevent it from infecting the machines without the patches.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    There still very very useful. If say one of your clients on your network is infected by a virus thats network bound and another client on the network doesn't have the patch firewall's on all pc's would prevent it from infecting the machines without the patches.

Then don't get infected I say... :honoes:
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited December 2006
    Sophos is one of the best antivirus programs if you're going to pay for antivirus protection.

I've been using it for a long time and virus issues are a thing of the past. The reputation and reliablity of Sophos speaks for itself when you consider the array of organisations and universities that employ it for the protection of their computer networks.

Spyware is a different issue and no matter what you use you will always be vulnerable and have to constantly look out for anything that has penetrated your computer despite the presence of firewalls and anti-spyware programs.

The combination of 2 or 3 of any of the anti-spyware programs mentioned in the above posts along with the presence of a firewall (router or software), is probably the best way to help to identify and remove a spyware application that is running on your PC.