AMD vs Intel?

edited December 2006 in Hardware
I read this thing:
--- reviews - cnet - com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1 ---
( " - " is a dot... doesn't let me post links... lame)

Says that AMD wins?

Im looking to build a rig for around $1700... Any Intel setup suggestions (someone promised me one but never got round to it as yet)...

Isn't Intel more expensive too?

Just throwing this out there...

-edited-
Hmmm I just found something else now that compares the Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz) and the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (2.6 GHz, Socket AM2)
Says the the core 2 due does 30% better and they tested specifically for games :D... hmmm looks like Im going for an Intel setup now!

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Intel is teh winnar all around I'm afraid. AMD isn't catching up any time soon.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, AMD only has a performance lead in computers with four or more CPUs. Anything else? Intel reigns.
  • edited December 2006
    sweet thanks!

now, what do I mix and match with my Core 2 Duo E6600?
    edited December 2006
    Might I suggest an eVGA 680i-based motherboard or an Asus P5B-Deluxe?

Do you like to overclock? What's your budget?
  • edited December 2006
    Ive never had the chance to overclock... my budget is around 1700-2000 US dollars....

What should I do about cooling?
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited December 2006
    justsuby wrote:
    I read this thing:
    --- reviews - cnet - com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1 ---
    ( " - " is a dot... doesn't let me post links... lame)

Says that AMD wins?

Im looking to build a rig for around $1700... Any Intel setup suggestions (someone promised me one but never got round to it as yet)...

Isn't Intel more expensive too?

Just throwing this out there...

-edited-
    Hmmm I just found something else now that compares the Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz) and the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (2.6 GHz, Socket AM2)
    Says the the core 2 due does 30% better and they tested specifically for games :D... hmmm looks like Im going for an Intel setup now!

If you had bothered reading my last reply in your other, simular thread, you would have seen what is the better processor. A quick search at places like newegg would give you prices, hence value for output.
  • edited December 2006
    Yea but I had to check the reviews for myself hehe *guilty look*
    But yeah, I'm now starting again looking for something Intel-based now...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    That review is also over a year old. At the time AMD was clearly the winner. But as the others have pointed out, that is no longer the case. The Intel CPU's in that review are the D 8xx series, which were real slugs!
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    Probably get shot down again, but

Grab a 975 chipset mobo. The NVidia 680i chipset mobos have problems so wait for revision 2. Have noticed a lot of revision 2 mobos on manufacturer's sites for the 965 chipset mobos, with a couple of microATX mobos using a Q965 chipset, so up to you on the 965 mobos and if you grab one, make sure it is revision 2.

Conroe E6600 CPU teamed up with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Thermalright Ultra 120 or a Zalman CNPS9700 HSF.

RAM seems to be a toss up between Patriot PDC22G6400LLK or G-Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ for overclocking.

Video card is up to you depending on, if you play games or not.

Datsun 1600
    edited December 2006
    The chipset issues are resolved on the 680i with the newest BIOS versions.

p965 is faster/more overclockable than 975, and p965 v2 offers no (Apparent) advantages over v1.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Intel wins the performance crown overall but AMD wins for the best bang for your buck. As seen here
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    New Abit AB9 Quad GT.

Based on Intel 965P chipset but sporting the ICH7R controller instead of ICH8R. This allows for native IDE support. Also 2x PCI-E x16 slots (x8 electrically) for Crossfire support. Also has digital PWM.