Weird issues.

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I installed a new motherboard because the other one crapped out me. I reformatted the HD, and installed Windows X64. Everything was running fine, until the computer restarted on its own. It made it to POST, but once Windows was being booted, an error showed up called "NTLDR is corrupt. Computer can not boot.". On restart, computer would not post. I figured the best way to solve the problem would start from the basics, and pull the CMOS battery. After 15 minutes, I placed the CMOS battery back on the motherboard and Windows booted without a hitch. I installed some nforce4 drivers, and restarted. Again, the computer would not post. I pulled the CMOS battery back out, and repeated the process. Windows booted. I installed some realtek audio drivers, and again I restarted, and again computer does not make it to post.

Specs on computer:

Hyper 580w Modular PSU
2gigs Corsair XMS Platinum pc-3200 DDR400
250gb Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.0gb/sec
EVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256mb
Samsung DVD-RW Drive with Lightscribe
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N SLi-Deluxe Motherboard

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
I think this may be a motherboard issue.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Nice, solid hardware. Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?
  • edited January 2007
    No I haven't, but that's a very good idea. Will try it.
  • edited January 2007
    Thrax, you are the freaking man sir. I've restarted 5 times in a row, and each time the mobo makes through POST.
  • edited January 2007
    Well, now it hasn't. Looks like the crisis has not been averted.
  • edited January 2007
    I have a new error report.

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM Checksum error
    Keyboard error or no keyboard present
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Have you installed the chipset drivers??
  • edited January 2007
    Yes
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    I have a new error report.

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM Checksum error
    Keyboard error or no keyboard present
    This is looking like something is dieing. Others may have better suggestions or ideas later on, but since no one's around right not I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Your HW is quality HW but even quality equipment can fail. Do you have another PSU you can connect? Have you tried flashing the BIOS? ('cause it sounds like you've done what you could so far to clear / reset the CMOS). I'm thinking this is happening too early in POST to be a drivers issue. (Yes, experts?)
  • edited January 2007
    I haven't flashed the BIOS. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't know how. It may sound weird, but I actually have never needed to do so, so I never took the time to learn.

I agree that drivers are not the problem.
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    I haven't flashed the BIOS. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't know how. It may sound weird, but I actually have never needed to do so, so I never took the time to learn.
    I agree that drivers are not the problem.
    It's not too difficult to do. Just takes a few steps and being careful. Just go to Asus' web site and look up your mobo. Go to downloads and look for the latest BIOS update. They'll have both the update available and the utility to perform the update. If you need any help w/ this, just let us know. We'll step you through it.

What about a power supply? Do you have one in the wings you can swap in there just to rule that out?
  • edited January 2007
    Actually...No. I may run by a computer shop and pick up a PSU with the full intention of taking it back. That's what I've did with the harddrive, (Thanks Best Buy!).

But, I have had the computer booted on Windows for over three hours, and nothing has happened other than the screen turning off every 10 minutes to save power. Could the power supply still be defunct?

Better still, I could have Best Buy test my PSU for 5 bucks when I return the "rented" harddrive.

As far as flashing the BIOS, instructions would be nice. I can't seem to find decent instructions online.
  • edited January 2007
    I think the mobo is faulty. But I'm not certain.

I was about to run memtest, so I when I reset the CMOS jumper and battery to default the bios, I noticed that one of the case fans was not working. This case fan is plugged directly into the motherboard.

I am still going to rule out the memory by doing a memtest.
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    I think the mobo is faulty. But I'm not certain.
    I was about to run memtest, so I when I reset the CMOS jumper and battery to default the bios, I noticed that one of the case fans was not working. This case fan is plugged directly into the motherboard.
    I am still going to rule out the memory by doing a memtest.
    That's not a bad idea (testing the memory). It can't hurt. I'm going to go back and re-read your thread to make sure I'm clear about what's goin' on... be back...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    If memtest clears you might consider removing hte mobo and reinstalling. It is possible that you have a post in the wrong place or something may be loose.
    PSU, maybe. Boot is full load so if it is weak that could be messing with you.

I wouldn't flash BIOS unitl I checked a few more things out. A reboot during BIOS falsh would be fatal.
    edited January 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    If memtest clears you might consider removing hte mobo and reinstalling. It is possible that you have a post in the wrong place or something may be loose.
    PSU, maybe. Boot is full load so if it is weak that could be messing with you.

I wouldn't flash BIOS unitl I checked a few more things out. A reboot during BIOS falsh would be fatal.
    Very good point, edcentric! (re: spontaneous reboot) :thumbup
  • edited January 2007
    Memtest cleared. I don't have the exact stats, as I went to bed shortly after it cleared. There is a possibility that one of the stand offs might be loose, but I can't be for sure until I get home.

The thing is, I'm a little concerned as to why one of my 120mm fans isn't working. The LED's light up, but the fan doesn't spin.
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    Memtest cleared. I don't have the exact stats, as I went to bed shortly after it cleared. There is a possibility that one of the stand offs might be loose, but I can't be for sure until I get home.

The thing is, I'm a little concerned as to why one of my 120mm fans isn't working. The LED's light up, but the fan doesn't spin.
    I would recommend you go ahead and re-install your mobo as edcentric suggested in post #15 . You might even want to place the mobo on a sheet of cardboard and get it running properly from there (IOW, outside of the case) 1st. I'd recommend you connect only the bare bones devices (psu, HDD, video, keyboard, & mouse). Leave everything else disconnected for now. Let's see what happens w/ the fan issue, etc. once you've got that set up.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    hey there, this problem is a reminiscent of mine which i had recently @ http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47981

the summary of my quirky solution was that the power extension my comp was sharing with several other appliances eg speakers was faulty, causing a live current to constantly short out my cmos memory. try connecting it to the power outlet directly or another altogether.
    edited January 2007
    Riddick wrote:
    hey there, this problem is a reminiscent of mine which i had recently @ http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47981
    the summary of my quirky solution was that the power extension my comp was sharing with several other appliances eg speakers was faulty, causing a live current to constantly short out my cmos memory. try connecting it to the power outlet directly or another altogether.
    You raise a very good point to consider, Riddick - the issue of power supplied to your computer. This is why I always recommend people use a quality UPS to connect their computer to. (It doesn't have to be expensive - about $30 US to $40 US will usually cover it.) In turn, the UPS should be directly connected to a wall A/C outlet. Connect your monitor and your computer to the "battery + surge protection" side of the UPS and other non-essential equipment to the "surge only protection" side. Use the remaining sockets available at your discretion.

Power protection and control is of paramount importance to any computer whether it be in the home or in a corporate environment. Following are some articles that might shed some light on the subject for you.

Power Problems Cause Up To 87% of Computer Crashes
    Typical Power Quality Problems & Solutions
    The Problem With Power.
    What is a Power Event?
    Determine Your Risk.

There are many UPSs out there to choose from. Here is an UPS selector that will help you to determine the specs (specifications) an appropriate UPS for your system should have. The result will be a selection of APC UPSs. You don't have to purchase an APC UPS, however. Just make note of the recommended minimum VA rating and purchase an UPS w/ at least that rating. This is the recommended minimum "load" capacity your UPS should support.
  • edited January 2007
    The thing is, I already have one, and I just tested it with my laptop. Everything ran perfectly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16842107140

I should also state that I tried every outlet in my room, and the same problem persisted, whether or not the UPS was connected or not. I am confident that it is a motherboard or PSU issue. I am going to test my roommates PSU later today, and I will update on the issue.

At this time, I would like to thank everyone for their support. I appreciate the time and effort put into making my problem seem more hopeful and less hopeless.
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    The thing is, I already have one, and I just tested it with my laptop. Everything ran perfectly.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16842107140
    I should also state that I tried every outlet in my room, and the same problem persisted, whether or not the UPS was connected or not. I am confident that it is a motherboard or PSU issue. I am going to test my roommates PSU later today, and I will update on the issue.
    At this time, I would like to thank everyone for their support. I appreciate the time and effort put into making my problem seem more hopeful and less hopeless.
    Then, you're absolutely right, it's back to the mobo again. It's just a good idea to consider everything that could possibly effect your system and power is a significant (yet commonly overlooked) component to consider. BTW, nice UPS you're using! :thumbsup: Do you have your ethernet cable connected through it as well; are you using the power monitoring software that came w/ it?

So, what do you want to do next? Would you like to try setting the mobo up outside the case as was previously discussed? BTW, don't worry about the thread running long. This is normal (and perfectly acceptable) for difficult cases.
  • edited January 2007
    BTW, nice UPS you're using! :thumbsup: Do you have your ethernet cable connected through it as well; are you using the power monitoring software that came w/ it?

Well yes and no. I did use it, when my computer was working, lol. For the price, the UPS can't be beat :D
    So, what do you want to do next?

Well, I've tested my roommates PSU, and I had the same error. I also tested his ram, just to make sure, and guess what? Same issue. At the time of this writing, I'm putting his PSU back in, and in a much tidier job, as a favor :D .

Tonight, I'm going to reseat the board, once more, with the stock HSF. Perhaps I improperly reinstalled it, and it's causing some sort of error. If the problem persists, then I'm taking the mobo and the video card to a shop to have them tested. I'm pretty sure the video card has nothing to do with the problem, but you can't be too sure and the mobo and the vid card are the only components I haven't tested. But my main concern is the dad-blasted mobo.
  • edited January 2007
    I reinstalled the mobo with the stock HSF. Now the system POSTs quite well, but it doesn't boot Windows. I'm going to try a system wipe.

I also did a fairly pretty cabling job, out of boredom.
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    ...I reinstalled the mobo with the stock HSF. Now the system POSTs quite well, but it doesn't boot Windows. I'm going to try a system wipe....I also did a fairly pretty cabling job, out of boredom...
    Excellent! Sounds like you've made some progress - that re-installing everything might've done the trick (w/ respect to hardware anyway). I assume you mean by "HSF" the "heat sink assembly" or "heat sink & fan assembly"? You remembered to apply heat sink compound, yes? (thermal paste)

As for not booting, that may well be the unfortunate result of corruption caused by the hardware issues you were experiencing. Let us know how the HDD re-build goes...
  • edited January 2007
    Yes, I applied thermal paste, and I use only the finest; Artic Silver. And by HSF I meant "Heatsink Fan". The weird thing is, is that Windows is having trouble installing. I think all that powering up, and powering down, may have taken a toll on the hard-drive, but I'm not sure.
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    Yes, I applied thermal paste, and I use only the finest; Artic Silver. And by HSF I meant "Heatsink Fan". The weird thing is, is that Windows is having trouble installing. I think all that powering up, and powering down, may have taken a toll on the hard-drive, but I'm not sure.
    You're certainly well informed about the proper care and maintenance of your computer. That's nice to see.

Exactly what is happening when you attempt to re-install windows? Where is it getting hung up? Are you seeing any error msgs?

Your point about the powering up and down and the effect that can have on your computer's hardware is a good one. To that end, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to run some diags on the HDD and memory just to make sure they're ok after the ordeal they've been through.

If you need some recommendations re: utilities, just let us know.
  • edited January 2007
    There are really no error messages. The computer just restarts on it's own, midway through the Windows installation process. I was able to get to DOS, and I'm formatting the drive once more.

I've noticed that someone was having problems with random restarts on the forums on this thread, and I may run the same diagnostics.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53318

Since I have a Seagate drive, I'm going to run Seagate’s Seatools 3.02.04. Then it's off to memory diagnostics again with MEMTEST86. BTW, thanks for supplying all the links, as it saves a lot of time looking. :D
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    There are really no error messages. The computer just restarts on it's own, midway through the Windows installation process. I was able to get to DOS, and I'm formatting the drive once more.
    I've noticed that someone was having problems with random restarts on the forums on this thread, and I may run the same diagnostics.
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53318
    Since I have a Seagate drive, I'm going to run Seagate’s Seatools 3.02.04. Then it's off to memory diagnostics again with MEMTEST86. BTW, thanks for supplying all the links, as it saves a lot of time looking. :D
    That's right. That one (thread) ended up being memory, if I remember correctly. Random restarts could definitely be a hardware issue - particularly if you're not even booted into the OS when it happens. My first thought would be to check the memory. You might want to let it run a while to give it a good work out..... (You're welcome for the links, btw. :smiles: )

EDIT://
    Read through the thread you referred to in order to refresh my memory. That one actually ended being a bad HDD.
  • edited January 2007
    After running Seatools, the only message I see is

Your RAM Disk is C:\
    Thank you for using SeaTools DOS
    C:\>

Does that mean the harddrive tested ok? Or is there something that I'm not doing?
    edited January 2007
    Mal51 wrote:
    After running Seatools, the only message I see is

Your RAM Disk is C:\
    Thank you for using SeaTools DOS
    C:\>

Does that mean the harddrive tested ok? Or is there something that I'm not doing?
    I ran into the same problem w/ that diag. when I tried to run it off of the UBCD disc. Take a look at your BIOS and make sure the HDD is being recognized.....

EDIT:///
    Read your post more carefully. No, it didn't test the HDD. Did you download the ISO version of the diag. and create a bootable CD w/ it? or - did you download the floppy version?