Apple iPhone

2»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Except it's <i>sooooo</i> a 2007 problem. I send 3-4 iPods out a day with bad batteries, and they're the latest models.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2007
    I am hopeing, as well as the rest of the Flash market, that the iPhone from Apple will revive the Flash market. Everyone and their brother are building new fabs to make Flash memory. The market does need another product to take up some extra Flash chips and create at least a little bit of shortage. Prices have been falling drastically over the past few months. And the extra cost for doubling the memory from 4g to 8g is MORE than enough to cover the cost of the Flash chip...

<Shameless Plug> Everyone should buy Motorola's Razor. It is a Micron exclusive phone with 3 chips in it. :) <End Shameless Plug>

Flash is the future of Hard Drives no doubt. On the horizon will be multi-bit per cell devices (2,4,8 bits per cell) in smaller densities allowing for 32Gb, 64Gb, 128Gb + such hard drives. It will be the last functioning part of the computer to lose any mechanical properties (actually really the only part, not counting CD/DVD...) and is direly needed to actually improve PC performance by any noticable margin. Instant on boots, no more worrying about data loss from bad hard drives.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Flash is the future of Hard Drives no doubt. On the horizon will be multi-bit per cell devices (2,4,8 bits per cell) in smaller densities allowing for 32Gb, 64Gb, 128Gb + such hard drives.

I know I'm looking forward to flash based hard drives. Especially for notebooks where they'd save on battery life.

I want:
    pqi-ssd-64gb.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Yeah notebooks will be the first use for Flash drives. 1 for battery life and 2 because lappies usually dont have the storage space desktops do.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2007
    Anyone here have Verizon and wanna switch to Cingular to get the iPhone when it's released? Now is the time, http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/12/verizon-increases-sms-rates-customers-now-free-of-their-contr/

Also Cisco filed a lawsuit against Apple for using iPhone (which has already been trademarked by Cisco) http://news.com.com/Cisco+sues+Apple+over+use+of+iPhone+trademark/2100-1047_3-6149285.html

I know most of you people know this already, but figured it'd be good to post for people who don't keep reading the news 24/7 like I do.
    edited January 2007
    Ya think someone would look up to see if your new product name was already taken by someone else.../shakes head
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited January 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Flash is the future of Hard Drives no doubt. On the horizon will be multi-bit per cell devices (2,4,8 bits per cell) in smaller densities allowing for 32Gb, 64Gb, 128Gb + such hard drives. It will be the last functioning part of the computer to lose any mechanical properties (actually really the only part, not counting CD/DVD...) and is direly needed to actually improve PC performance by any noticable margin. Instant on boots, no more worrying about data loss from bad hard drives.

What about limits on flash writes? Thats the real kicker right now for flash replacing hard drives on computers. Has anyone significantly upped that limit or removed it completely?
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I almost put that in my last post. As of right now there is nothing to stop that. The way flash operates is that it actually damages the barrier between the memory cell and the silicon eventually to the point where it no longer holds charge.

In time though I believe the average number of reads/writes before fail will improve. For many companies flash is still relatively new compared to DRAM production.