GeForce 8800GTX "AXLE" brand??

RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hi there. I was crusing online, and found a supplier that sells these cards. I've never heard of the Axle brand before. I'm assuming it's comparable to BFG, and others? And also, Is there really any difference in the branding? I mean it's all the same product in the end right?

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Same chip but not the same components. The only brands I trust that make Nvidia cards are:

XFX
    EvGA
    BFG
    ASUS
    MSI
    Fuzion "BFG off brand"

The rest I am sure make good cards, but I stick with companies that have a good long track record...
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2007
    Sledge, I have to agree with you on xfx, evga and bfg. Have you had any experance with Leadtek? My last 3 cards were from Leadtek and I must say they put one massive copper heat sink on their GPU's. I think they are sometimes called WinFast...
    edited January 2007
    Leadtek is also a great Company, atleast when I got my 6600GT TDS Extreme's, they were. My first ever SLI rig was 2 of those LeadTek's cards. :)
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    What ever happened to Gainward?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I had 4 ati cards from sapphire ...4 because the same card kept dying under warranty and they kept sending me a new one. It's in storage now but I will put it to use soon in a box for wifey until it has seen better days. Which may not take very long.
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited January 2007
    Same chip but not the same components. The only brands I trust that make Nvidia cards are:

XFX
    EvGA
    BFG
    ASUS
    MSI
    Fuzion "BFG off brand"

The rest I am sure make good cards, but I stick with companies that have a good long track record...

So you're saying, that it's not the best brand out there, but that it shouldn't be all that bad. Another question, if could get a couple at decent price ($350-$450 USD) would it be worth it, having a pair of those, (or selling them on ebay) over a pair of BFG 7900GT's?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Gainward cards were never easily available in the US. They were (are?) a big player in Europe.
    I have 6 ATI based cards from 5 different builders. They all work.

Not all cards are made equal. Especially with higher powered cards the selection of componants is critical.
    edited January 2007
    Riptide wrote:
    So you're saying, that it's not the best brand out there, but that it shouldn't be all that bad. Another question, if could get a couple at decent price ($350-$450 USD) would it be worth it, having a pair of those, (or selling them on ebay) over a pair of BFG 7900GT's?

I am sure the brand would run fine, But don't expect people to jump on a company they have never heard of. I have been around the Graphic market for a long time and have never heard of a AXLE card...

If you are planning to go Vista OS than a Dual 8800GTX system will rule the roost, in some cases 1- 8800GTX will out perform 2 - 7900GTX cards. if that puts things in perspective.
  • Formula-1Formula-1 Hickory NC
    edited January 2007
    Hi guys

I too was a big fan of Leadtek. I had a 4400ti from them that was a great card. When I got a 6800GT I went with Leadtek, but had major memory problems and it wouldn't run at rated speed. I had to lower it to 902 I think it was before it would work right. I RMA'ed it and the replacement did the same thing. I was going to RMA it as well, but they had been dropped due to the problems. It was replaced with an Elsa and I haven't had a single problem with it. It is a German company and they take extra pride in quality. I think they use the best components available (or so I was told). Anyway, I believe Elsa to be a top notch brand.
    I imagine Leadtek has probably cured their memory problems. It was said they were using cheaper memory to make up for the cost of the massive copper coolers. I don't know if this was the case, but it appeared so in my case. Many others had the same problem as I did with the 6800GT's from them. Since they are a big name, most likely this has been corrected and they are using better chips now on their newer cards.

I would be careful about lessor known brands. Maybe try to find some reviews first, or others that have been using the brand you seek.

Good luck.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2007
    Formula 1, I concure. My first Leadtek 6800GT died after 11 months. Whew, still under warenty by a month. It was the memory chips. I sent it back to Leadtek and got a new one for a replacement from them. So far it has been running great. Hope they used better memory chips in this one.
  • edited January 2007
    Riptide has great point buy from a reliable card manufactor it boils down to so called saving money to replacing card after card from the so called cost savings.
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    I've used Inno3D, ASUS, XFX and EVGA. Inno3D's FX 5500 128MB died on me after 7 Months of usage, actually Direct3D apps got worse and all the weird horizontal and vertical lines and artifacts started coming in games and all but 2D was working fine. XFX seemed to be the worst brand ever for me. Their 6600GT literally died after 1 month of usage. I traded the new one with an EVGA 7800GT by paying some extra money. Both EVGA and ASUS have been awesome brands for me.