Peeved.

Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
edited January 2007 in Folding@Home
At the moment I am running the -oneunit flag on all Boxen here. I was shutting down some Boxen as the heat has become unbearable with constant 45+C temps in the computer room.

If you didn't know, Stanford has been monitoring WUs for the last couple of weeks, especially the 5way_melts, and is compiling a list of WU deleters and will take action accordingly.

A friend was dobbed in to Stanford for supposedly deleting WUs by a member here at SM and this has me wondering about this Forum, as Stanford already has processes in place to catch these people.

At the moment, I am contemplating what I shall do, as my friend has already folded their last WU for SM.

Datsun 1600

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Pardon my ignorance but what you mean by Boxen(I can guess you mean boxes or computers) and what does it mean to be dobbed(flat out lost on this one)?
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited January 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance but what you mean by Boxen(I can guess you mean boxes or computers) and what does it mean to be dobbed(flat out lost on this one)?
    A Boxen is a dedicated computer that does nothing else but a Distributed Computer Program like Folding@Home.

To be dobbed in = snitching.
    Datsun 1600
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hmmm... I was not aware that Stanford was monitoring deleted work units. We try to spread the word about Folding and we discourage the deletion of WU's (there are exceptions). However, I would be surprised if anyone here turned your friend in to Stanford.

Remember, if someone DID turn your friend in, it was not a concerted effort by the entire Folding Family (as in one rogue member may have done it). As a member of the Folding Staff here at Short-Media, we have no knowledge of anyone being turned in. I hope your friend understands that someone here may have contacted Stanford but it was an individual not the entire membership.

BTW, how did Stanford contact your friend? Stanford does not collect email addresses, phone numbers, mailing addresses, or even names. How did Stanford indicate that it was someone from Short-Media that turned him (or her) in? Just wondering.... :scratch:

Finally... I apologize if you and your friend feel slighted by the actions of one member of Team Short-Media. If you and your friend decide to leave our family, you will be missed but I hope you still fold, whichever team you chose. We're always here if you need help or a friendly place. :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited January 2007
    This is news i didn't think i would hear at SM. As Q stated, people are discouraged from deleting WU's, just because they take a bit longer to process. The idea is to assist Stanford with whatever they need processing.

I really hope it is a case of mistaken identity or something to that effect. FWIW, we have never deleted 1 WU and strongly discourage anyone from doing so. At times our daily score is half of what we have been getting, but this is something that effects everyone that folds and it balances itself in the end.

I sincerely hope you'll stay Datsun 1600. Your presence will be missed.

Jon
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Idunno how anyone here would even know if someone else is deleting wu's. Hope you guys stick around.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    how can they tell the difference between a deleted wu and someone who is having problems with a box that is slightly unstable because of an overclock that they're still tweaking? I've lost quite a few wu's recently from system lockups while tuning my oc, yes, some were those sucky 5way's (I think if I ever find the person who developed these things, I'm going to kick him in the junk), but there were a bunch of my favorite 1495's.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited January 2007
    DanG wrote:
    I think if I ever find the person who developed these things, I'm going to kick him in the junk.
    If you look at this list, on the right hand side you will see it is Danny Ensign.

Datsun 1600
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    Idunno how anyone here would even know if someone else is deleting wu's. Hope you guys stick around.
    Same here - on both counts.

Frankly, the whole story sounds weird. I seriously doubt that Stanford takes the time to listen to individual gripes from one contributor against another. If they did, they would soon be swamped with people wanting to wage their personal vendettas and it would not be long before the entire staff at Stanford was doing nothing but tracking down disputes which had little to do with the FAH project at all.

I'll give you another reason why I think this may all be a big misunderstanding.

Several years ago we had a group of immature jerks who decided to make Short-Media the target of their infantile pranks. One of them had been the Host of an SMx rig, which he decided to steal. After getting called on it he gathered a few of of his loser friends and started making offensive posts here in our forums. They even went as far as to form their own FAH team in an attempt to mock ours. The name they chose for their team and the usernames they selected were designed to be as offensive as possible.

If you don't believe me, here is the proof. (Warning: Extremely vulgar content)

We approached Stanford and asked if anything could be done about it and they basically told us that they didn't have time to referee disputes between different teams or individual members. Think about it, with all of the hundreds of thousands of people who have contributed to this project, how much time would it take for Stanford to have to track down every allegation made by a disgruntled contributor?

I would like to hear more of the details of this story. If anyone "in the know" would be so kind as to send me a PM I promise that what you have to tell me will be kept in the strictest confidence.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    As a member of the Folding Staff here at Short-Media, we have no knowledge of anyone being turned in.
    Yes, the committee had nothing to do with this, nor did any other staff group on the site.

Datsun, I've heard further rumor, so let me lay this to rest now:

There is NO functionality in vBulletin for anyone to be able to read PMs other than the sender and receiver. There is no hack installed on this site to make it otherwise. Only three people have access to the database (the three owners, including myself) and we do NOT use that access to read PMs. We are not the secret police. I don't think any of the three of us has given significant thought to "WU dumping" or paid any attention to it if it's been mentioned here. I don't mean to be glib, but given how busy we all are it'd be pretty silly to think that even made it on to our list of things to care about. :skeptic:

Please also remember that this is a public forum and anything posted here can be seen by anyone, including other teams who visit. I'm not pointing a finger; actually, quite the opposite. If something was said in a thread, anyone could've known about it.

I think kicking people out of the project with no warning is just stupid, personally.

//edit: Prof made some very good points while I was typing that. Agreed.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    To re-iterate what keebs just said: We barely have time to do what needs to be done to keep this beast running. There is no way on earth I would bother with reducing myself to reading people's PMs. On top of it being unethical, it would be needlessly complicated to do so, but on top of all of THAT, I just don't care that much what people do with their private business :rolleyes:

I don't have time for silly conspiracy theories and whatnot. If you want to leave, leave. If you want to stay, stay.. I'm not big on these attention-getting threads.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Meh, everything evens out in the end. Bad WU's are bad WU's. Everyone's points get reduced by about the same percentage. I feel like I have the most ppd to lose from bad WU's, and I'd never think of killing them off. I'm sure it would be very easy to automate the process, but that's not what the project is about, so my machines slog through the junk along with everyone else, and I haven't seen any change in overall rankings.

If people want to use F@H for benchmarking and machine bragging rights, you're using the wrong program. That's what benchmarks are for... In any case, to compensate by cheating the system is not only lame, but in this case damaging to the people who do and will need the research.

Overall, gaming the WU's for points is a stupid and insensitive exercise. If you're looking to be famous, go build the B3$7 M@CH!N3 3V@R and post your scores up against the latest from Tom's Hardware or Anandtech.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited January 2007
    Or if you want to crunch only bonus WUs, go for SMP, like me. :D