Outlook express moving mail?

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
I have built a new computer and I cant figure out how to move all my mail from one computer to another.I moved the addresses with no problems. I just want to get it on a floppy a disc then put it on the new computer.

There must be a way. How do I do that?

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    Several ways, but the eastiest is F.A.S.T. Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. When you save your settings from the old computer, there's a box you check that says something like "Let me choose which files and settings...". Then just pick OE stuff, but by default it will bring over all your favorites, My Docs, etc.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited January 2007
    OK I should be able to do that. I have the cable that connects two computers together.
    Thanks for the info. That is all I have to do to get the new computer ready to be the main computer. A64 SD3700 A8N-E
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited January 2007
    athalonhead, you're trying to move your emails from one system to the new system? To move the emails you've received from one system to another, you have to export the inbox (sent box, contacts, etc) into a file.

File/Import & Export/Export to a file/Comma Seperated Values (Windows)/Select folder to export

It will save the file, which you can then move from your old system to your new system. You need to repeate the process for each folder (ie inbox, sent box, contacts, etc).

Once it's on the new system, you need to Import it.

File/Import & Export/Import from another program or file/Comma Seperated Values (Windows)/Select file

Hope this helps, and was what you were looking for.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    If you have the 2 PC's networked or you can transfer over USB.

The Identity for Outlook express is located in the Documents and Settings\Username\Local settings\Application Data\Identities\a really big goofy directory name\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

That folder has all your folders and messages in it, they are .dbx files for each folder.

Just open Outlook Express on the new PC, Go to File>Import>Messages choose Outlook Express 6 if that's what your using, click next, choose "Import Mail from an OE6 Store directory" then browse to the location mentioned above and it will ask you if you want to import all folders or only selected ones.

Wham bam and your done :)

I do it all the time when I travel and need to have updated emails on my Laptop.

If I was smart I would start using Outlook and just copy the PST file :D hahaha
    edited January 2007
    Hot dam. That's way easier than exporting everything. Where would someone go to do the same for Microsoft Outlook?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Just locate the PST file on your PC (*.PST) if you have been using them in Outlook and copy that to the new PC...I has everything :)
    edited January 2007
    The only .pst file I could find was an archive that I did about 18 mths ago. I'm running XP Pro. Any ideas on where it would be?

EDIT: Yeah I did a search on both my laptop & desktop and came up blank.. :-/
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited January 2007
    I did it by puting the old hard drive in the new computer and doing it the way RyderOCZ said.
    It was real easy and put all of the files in at once it only took less than a minute to do it.
    Thanks RyderOCZ and short media for the great help.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Riptide wrote:
    The only .pst file I could find was an archive that I did about 18 mths ago. I'm running XP Pro. Any ideas on where it would be?

EDIT: Yeah I did a search on both my laptop & desktop and came up blank.. :-/

When you search make sure to have it search "Hidden Files and Folders" in the "More Advanced Options" area of the search assistant... as the PST file is stored in a Hidden Directory... ie

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Or just go right there and copy it where you need it... If you can't see the directory make sure "Show Hidden Files & Folders" is selected from Tools/Folder Options/Views menu of any drive window.
    edited January 2007
    Thanks. I'm going to assume it's the file: Outlook.pst
    I dunno why it didn't come up earlier. View hidden files & folders was turned on. Anyway, thanks again!
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    That's the one, Outlook.pst
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I've never understood why Microsoft and other companies that provide email clients burry their email data files and address books in the user's system files. I always configure OE (including the address book (wab file)), Outlook, Eudora, any email client for that matter to have their data reside in a data directory that I specify. Once configured, this makes data management of these files a breeze.

e.g.:
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OUTLOOK DATA\[outlookfilename-1].pst
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OUTLOOK DATA\[outlookfilename-2].pst
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\EUDORA DATA\[Eudora Profile-1]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\EUDORA DATA\[Eudora Profile-2]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OE DATA\[user identity-1]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OE DATA\[user identity-2]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\MOZILLA DATA\[Mozilla Profile-1]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\MOZILLA DATA\[Mozilla Profile-2]\
    %USERPROFILE%\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\ADDRESS BOOK\[filename].wab

etc., etc. You all get the idea, I'm sure.

If anyone's interested in how to do this for a particular address book, email client or browser, please, let me know and I'll provide instructions. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2007
    I've never understood why Microsoft and other companies that provide email clients burry their email data files and address books in the user's system files. I always configure OE (including the address book (wab file)), Outlook, Eudora, any email client for that matter to have their data reside in a data directory that I specify. Once configured, this makes data management of these files a breeze.

e.g.:
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OUTLOOK DATA\[outlookfilename-1].pst
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OUTLOOK DATA\[outlookfilename-2].pst
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\EUDORA DATA\[Eudora Profile-1]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\EUDORA DATA\[Eudora Profile-2]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OE DATA\[user identity-1]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\OE DATA\[user identity-2]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\MOZILLA DATA\[Mozilla Profile-1]\
    %USERPROFILE%\MY DOCUMENTS\MOZILLA DATA\[Mozilla Profile-2]\
    %USERPROFILE%\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\ADDRESS BOOK\[filename].wab

etc., etc. You all get the idea, I'm sure.

If anyone's interested in how to do this for a particular address book, email client or browser, please, let me know and I'll provide instructions. :thumbsup:

This is something that intrests me. Especially as I haven't installed MS Office Xp onto my system yet. If you could post the instructions, or PM them to me, that would be muchly appreaciated.
    edited January 2007
    Riptide wrote:
    This is something that intrests me. Especially as I haven't installed MS Office Xp onto my system yet. If you could post the instructions, or PM them to me, that would be muchly appreaciated.
    Sure Riptide. I'll post the instructions here so others who might be interested can see them as well.

For anyone interested in these instructions (see post # 13), please, let me know the following:
    1. What application do you want to custom configure it's data files location?
      (e.g. Mozilla Firefox 2.0; Microsoft Office XP Outlook; Qualcom Eudora 7.0; Outlook Express; etc.)
    2. What operating system are you using?
    3. How many users in each OS user profile do you need to configure seperate data file locations for?

Riptied, if you could please, let me know the info. above I'll post the instructions for you. (I believe you want to custom configure MS Outlook XP, yes?)
    edited January 2007
    1. What application do you want to custom configure it's data files location?
      (e.g. Mozilla Firefox 2.0; Microsoft Office XP Outlook; Qualcom Eudora 7.0; Outlook Express; etc.)
    2. What operating system are you using?
    3. How many users in each OS user profile do you need to configure seperate data file locations for?

Riptide, if you could please, let me know the info. above I'll post the instructions for you. (I believe you want to custom configure MS Outlook XP, yes?)

- Microsoft Office XP Standard (specifically Outlook)
    - Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
    - 1 user (Jr)
    edited January 2007
    Riptide wrote:
    - Microsoft Office XP Standard (specifically Outlook)
    - Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
    - 1 user (Jr)

Thankyou, Riptide. I haven't forgotten about you. I'm working on it right now. It'll be a bit. I'll probably have it posted tonite. :)
    edited January 2007
    How to Customize the Locations of your Outlook Data Files

If Microsoft Outlook has never been opened yet in this user profile, perform the steps in the 1st group then proceed to the remaining steps:
    • Open MICROSOFT OUTLOOK
    • Skip configuring any EMAIL accounts for now
    • Outlook will now create an Outlook PST (data) file for this user profile.
    • It will also install the MAIL applet to CONTROL PANEL.
    • Close Outlook
    • Go to FOLDER OPTIONS
    • In the VIEW tab, select SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS
    • Remove the check mark from: HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES
    • Remove the check mark from: HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES
    • Click OK
    • Navigate to the directory where you will want your Outlook PST (data) files to reside.
    • Create a directory (folder) there: e.g. c:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfileName%\My Documents\[My Outlook Data]
    • Now, perform a search in c:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfileName% for [*.pst]
    • (The default location of Outlook PST files is: c:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfileName%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook)
    • Be sure to choose Advanced Search and choose to search Hidden & System files.
    • The asterisk is a wild card.
    • This search will find all PST files in this particular user’s system files.
    • The default PST file name is: OUTLOOK.PST
    • If you have already been using Outlook in this user profile, there may also be a file called ARCHIVE.PST
    • If more than one was created, they may be named sequentially: OUTLOOK.PST; OUTLOOK1.PST, etc
    • If this is the case, check the date and size of the PST files to determine which file you are currently using (this is assuming there isn't a 2nd Outlook profile configured and in use.)
    • Highlight then RIGHT-click on the PST files that your search found and choose COPY
    • Navigate to the folder you created for your Outlook data.
    • Right-click inside the folder and choose PASTE
    • Once you're satisfied that you have successfully copied your PST file(s) to the new location, navigate back to the original location and delete it/them there.
    • (The original location will be c:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfileName%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook)
    • You’ve just moved your Outlook data.
    • Now, name the files as you wish:
    • e.g. [Business.pst & BusinessArchive.pst] or [John.pst & JohnArchive.pst] or [Personal.pst & PersonalArchive.pst], etc.
    • Now, open Outlook.
    • It will fuss about not being able to find the PST file.
    • Navigate to and select the PST file.
    • Outlook will still error out after you’ve done this.
    • Close then re-open Outlook.
    • It will now find the PST file in its new location.
    • If you wish to use Outlook's AutoArchive function, you will need to set the path for the Archive data file as well.
    • Open Outlook
    • Click on: TOOLS\OPTIONS\OTHER\AUTOARCHIVE
    • Place a check in the box: RUN AUTOARCHIVE EVERY
    • Select the days
    • Place a check in the box: ARCHIVE OR DELETE OLD ITEMS
    • Select the MOVE OLD ITEMS TO radio button
    • Browse to your Archive data file (e.g. JohnArchive.pst) and select it.
    • The path to and including that file should appear in the box to the left of the BROWSE button now.
    • Click OK
    • Hint: If you don’t have one already, you can create an archive file by copying your existing PST file and renaming it w/ Archive appended at the end as in the examples)