PS3 Folding

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Folding@Home
Has anyone seen any info on the PS3 folding? I know they were working on a client? if anyone knows let me know, I want to put my PS3 to the test :)

Comments

• OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited December 2006
    Yes.

In short, the client isn't released yet. There is an NDA as to why- but my understanding is that the reason is not technical. It looks like simply "soon".
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Sweet! Can't wait to try this bad boy out to see what kind of folding power it has :)
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited December 2006
    One of the [H]ardocp guy's has his PS3,folding using the Linux client and yellow dog linux I believe.
    edited December 2006
    Plenty of PS3 Linux stuff

Also FYI. This one hints as to how the Cell processor concept may impact us all soon.
    Overall, they conclude that the next generation cell product needs minor hardware change to scale efficiently for double precision work, but that the first generation is already between 3 and 60 times faster, and between 10 and 200 times more power efficient, than its competitors - numbers to keep in mind when you think about Apple's triumph in arranging to get dual core Xeon CPUs from Intel for only slightly more than than four times the $89 Sony is estimated to pay for an 8+1 cell at 3.2Ghz.
    They're also numbers to keep in mind when thinking about next generation supercomputing. Terra Soft is mainly focused on biosciences applications and Yellow Dog Linux works now, but the real bottom line on the trade-off between cell's programming complexity and its performance potential is simply that we're a just language breakthrough from everybody's supercomputer being a rack of cell processors

I think something to note from all this is that the PS3 Cell will likely perform best with the client that is designed & optimized to take advantage of its ability. I would trust it would be the one Stanford will release for the system. As of this post there is still no word.
    edited December 2006
    I've seen Hint's that they may be holding the PS3 client back until the European release. I think it is all speculation though.
    edited January 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    I've seen Hint's that they may be holding the PS3 client back until the European release. I think it is all speculation though.

>bump<
    ^
    Given the speculation, I thought this might be news. PS3 may have 30+ titles during launch period. Personally, however, I'm a bit frustrated and this reasoning makes little sense. What would make more sense to me is that Sony has enough to iron out on its plate than to pile on Folding@Home right now ... but I honestly don't know.
    edited January 2007
    This actually came up today at the FCF http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=17724&highlight=
    to quote scott
    Date: January 24, 2007 2:31:36 PM CST
    To: scottwaugh <scottwaugh>
    Subject: Re: Quick question

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your interest. We're very close and hope to have the client available for download in early spring - perhaps March - but I can't confirm that 100%

Sony Computer Entertainment
    US Research & Development
    http://research.scea.com

scottwaugh <scottwaugh>
    01/22/2007 02:35 PM

To: SCEA RD/R&D/SCEA@Playstation
    cc:
    Fax to:
    Subject: Quick question

Hello,

I was wondering when the Cure@PS3 (Folding@Home) client that Sony is
    developing and showed off last August, was going to be released?

Even if a hard date can't be given, an idea would be great (weeks,
    months, years etc).

Thank you,

Scott
    edited January 2007
    Hmmmm. From the same thread came this tidbit:

Possible other issues?

150MB client? Slow download speeds? Sounds like they are either still working on the client or someone is fueling the rumor mill.

Very curious.