windows 2003 dns resolution

test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
edited February 2007 in Science & Tech
my domain server last night got messed up after a power failure. originally, the dhcp service quit working, but in the process of fixing that, i seem to have broken the ability to resolve dns names. everything else works ok and i can ping out to IP addresses. i tried to manually reinstall tcp/ip, but that didnt help. does anyone have any ideas?

oh, by the way, the dns server works ok too.

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    Sorry, I don't have the whole picture yet.
    1. When you say “the dhcp service quit working”, I think you mean the DHCP server in another box, not the DHCP client service on the DC’s operating system...right?
    2. On the DC, I take it you looked at the DNS client service and its dependents?
    3. Can you do an “ipconfig /flushdns” on the DC?
    4. It sounds like the DNS server is in a different box and all the other devices resolve DNS except the DC?

BTW, 'like your description of your computer with the "circus lights"...
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited January 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    Sorry, I don't have the whole picture yet.
    1. When you say “the dhcp service quit working”, I think you mean the DHCP server in another box, not the DHCP client service on the DC’s operating system...right?
    2. On the DC, I take it you looked at the DNS client service and its dependents?
    3. Can you do an “ipconfig /flushdns” on the DC?
    4. It sounds like the DNS server is in a different box and all the other devices resolve DNS except the DC?

BTW, 'like your description of your computer with the "circus lights"...

yea, i meant the dhcp server. sry. i wrote that on 1 hour of sleep. this particular server runs dhcp, wins, dns, ad, and several other things. all those server services are running and working properly, but the outbound dns requests to my router (which does a dns pass through thing), arent getting through. for example if i do a nslookup on google's ip, it times out after 2 seconds saying it connected to 192.168.xxx.1. it works on all the other computers tho. ipconfig /flushdns didnt fix it.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    If this machine runs DHCP, then it must have static IP info for its own NIC...which means you have to plug in static DNS info on this machine. Depending on the network set up, you'd need to direct it to the same outside DNS IP's that DHCP is handing to the other machines. Did that get screwed up?
    edited January 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    If this machine runs DHCP, then it must have static IP info for its own NIC...which means you have to plug in static DNS info on this machine. Depending on the network set up, you'd need to direct it to the same outside DNS IP's that DHCP is handing to the other machines. Did that get screwed up?

nope. that too is set right. ive checked all of the obvious configuration related stuff. im thinking its something in the deepest darkest depths of windows that is screwing it up. i tried to run a tcp/ip fix tool that i saw was recommended in a couple other forums, and i think that may be what broke it. dns resolution was working while the dhcp server was down.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Tony,

The DC is the DHCP server and the DNS server for your internal network right?

Do you have forwarding setup so that requests that the DNS server can't resolve (like web addresses) it goes out and asks an internet DNS server?

If I read you right...you can't type "ping computerxyz" and have it resolve, where computerxyz resides on your internal network.
    edited January 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Tony,

The DC is the DHCP server and the DNS server for your internal network right?

Do you have forwarding setup so that requests that the DNS server can't resolve (like web addresses) it goes out and asks an internet DNS server?

If I read you right...you can't type "ping computerxyz" and have it resolve, where computerxyz resides on your internal network.

all the internal stuff works. just cant do external dns resolution on the dc. yes, forwarding was enabled. but i also has the router set as the secondary dns server on all the client computers.

i think i may be experiencing a hardware failure tho. im going to run dft and ill post back with the results. some other problems with ad popped up today. missing file related stuff.
    edited January 2007
    yep. hardware failure. bad sectorz on the hard drive. but the reason for the dns issue... get this... my isp changed my 2 dns servers that ive been using for the past 3 years with out telling me. the old ones are completely off line. noticed it when i went into my dsl modem config and saw different servers listed.
  • edited January 2007
    I hope this means you'll get your email server up and running again soon?
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    my isp changed my 2 dns servers that ive been using for the past 3 years with out telling me.

I had that happen once. It's good to know ISP's in MI are as bad as they are here.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    ...my domain server last night got messed up after a power failure....
    You can avoid problems like this in the future by using quality power protection on all of your computers and networking equipment.

Please, visit THIS thread for important information re: power protection.
    edited January 2007
    You can avoid problems like this in the future by using quality power protection on all of your computers and networking equipment.

Please, visit THIS thread for important information re: power protection.

i used to have an apc 1500 backup running everything. was great till it blew. then i got a warranty replacement, then a month after the warranty expired, it blew again. yes, i had allot of load on it, but by no means was it maxed out. i really need to get a new one. i saved the battery tho, and i plan on adding it to the new one via the extra battery port on the back.
    edited January 2007
    APC makes qood quality UPSs. If you're blowing out UPSs then there might be something goin' on w/ the power coming in to them. Overloading might be an issue, too. APC has an UPS selector where you can input all your loads and they will calculate the VA capacity you need in an UPS.

You can also put a quality (high joule rating) power surge protector between the UPS and the power source (e.g. wall outlet) to protect the UPS. Just be sure to monitor the LED on the power surge protector and replace it as soon as it's failed. (Power surge protectors are designed to sacrifice themselves between the power event and your equipment. Eventually, depending upon the number and severity of the hits, they will fail and have to be replaced.)
    edited January 2007
    they would blow when for example power would go out flicker right back on and go out again. i'm pretty sure it was the step up portion of it that blew. you could turn it on, get voltage then soon as its diag switched it to battery it would go into protect mode. chances are i kicked its @$$. ill pull a couple monitors off it next time
    edited January 2007
    they would blow when for example power would go out flicker right back on and go out again. i'm pretty sure it was the step up portion of it that blew. you could turn it on, get voltage then soon as its diag switched it to battery it would go into protect mode. chances are i kicked its @$$. ill pull a couple monitors off it next time
    That's the bad part about outtages. They often will slam back on sending a spike and a lot of noise on the line along w/ it. Sounds like you need to have some heavy surge dampening protection on the front end (between the UPS and the power source). I'd look into that if I were you (+ making sure you have adequate VA capacity on your UPS to support your entire load).
    edited January 2007
    That's the bad part about outtages. They often will slam back on sending a spike and a lot of noise on the line along w/ it. Sounds like you need to have some heavy surge dampening protection on the front end (between the UPS and the power source). I'd look into that if I were you (+ making sure you have adequate VA capacity on your UPS to support your entire load).
    any products you'd recommend?
    edited January 2007
    any products you'd recommend?
    That depends upon the equipment you will be supporting. What are you running in the way of computers and networking equipment?

APC has a 600VA (for a 10A line) voltage regulator you might be interested in.

They also have Data Line protection equipment as well as Residential Surge Protection installed at the junction box. (I don't know if you're set up is in a residence or a commercial building.)

You might want to contact APC. Tell them your situation and get their recommendations. That'd probably be the best way to go.
    edited January 2007
    4 possibly 5 computers. a dual p3 600, 1ghz athlon, p1 250, and a athlon xp 2600+ for sure. 3 crts (17, 21, and 19 inch) and a 15 inch lcd. dsl modem, 24 port managed switch. linksys ap. uuuum, couple other little negligible things. i dont have to have all the monitors attached, but itd be nice. thats about it
    edited January 2007
    4 possibly 5 computers. a dual p3 600, 1ghz athlon, p1 250, and a athlon xp 2600+ for sure. 3 crts (17, 21, and 19 inch) and a 15 inch lcd. dsl modem, 24 port managed switch. linksys ap. uuuum, couple other little negligible things. i dont have to have all the monitors attached, but itd be nice. thats about it
    If you're looking for one UPS for all the equipment, then a 1500VA UPS isn't going to cut it. (see post # 12) You can go HERE and use APCs selector to determine what you need based on your load. I did a quick run, guessing (conservatively) at some of your specs and came out w/ 2200VA capacity. That's leaving 0% for expansion and only 5 minutes run time on battery. The least expensive unit was $869.00US

If you're looking to save $ but still protect your equipment, you could install a $30 APC BACKUPS UPS on ea. computer/monitor combination. I don't know how good an idea that is. Again, you might want to discuss this w/ an APC rep. who could help you find the least expensive solution. In the end, you don't have to go w/ APC, of course. Just use the information you get from them and their UPS selector when choosing a power protection solution for your set up.
    edited February 2007
    alright. go to http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54157. i ran into some more issues and i havent had any replies with good info yet.