Have only one IDE connection?

fvsfvs
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I'm getting a new AM2 motherboard and only have one IDE connection on my mainboard, But want to connect 3 devices 1 DVD drive and 2 hard drives which are both IDE drives, My spec's say it can support four hard drives,
What's the procedure?

Edit; The mainboard has dual Ultra DMA 66/100/133 controller that provides PIO mode 0-4 Bus Master.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2007
    More than likely the hard drives it can support are SATA drives.
    Personally I'll be looking into an IDE controller card for my next build so I can keep me IDE drives until they croak. I haven't researched yet what cards are good.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    fvs wrote:
    I'm getting a new AM2 motherboard and only have one IDE connection on my mainboard, But want to connect 3 devices 1 DVD drive and 2 hard drives which are both IDE drives, My spec's say it can support four hard drives,
    What's the procedure?

Edit; The mainboard has dual Ultra DMA 66/100/133 controller that provides PIO mode 0-4 Bus Master.
    HERE ya go, fvs. Donut has the ticket for you. You need an IDE controller. I use Promise combination IDE/SATA controllers on both my desktop systems. I've used Promise I/O controllers for years. The only problem I've ever had is on one of my newer systems, I had two Promise controllers; (1) SATA and (1) IDE. They didn't get along in combination on my motherboard so I ended up going w/ a combination SATA / IDE controller. It worked out fine.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited January 2007
    My new 680i board has that same problem. Maufacturers are starting to phase out the IDE ports on enthusiast boards. I just bought an USB hd inclosure to keep my old IDE drives.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    fvs wrote:
    ...My spec's say it can support four hard drives,
    What's the procedure?...
    I just re-read you post, fvs. To answer your question, the new motherboard will support (2) SATA HDDs (connected to two seperate SATA ports on the motherboard) and (2) IDE HDDs (connected to the one IDE connection on the motherboard in a Master/Slave configuration on the same cable.)

If you want to keep your IDE drives as your primary and data drives internally, then you will need an IDE controller. If, on the other hand, you'd like to get new SATA drives and save your older IDE drives for other things, you can follow madball's lead and get an external HDD enclosure. You can place the HDD inside the enclosure then connect it to your computer via an USB, Firewire, or SATA cable - depending upon the enclosure and the external connections available on your motherboard.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I agree with getting an IDE controller card as has been previously posted. Do not bother with any of the PATA>SATA converters as they seem to come loose at the worst times and will cost about the same as an IDE card.
  • edited January 2007
    Be careful. PCI slots won't be lasting much longer either.