Is Vista faster than XP?

mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
Just out on Tom's. Their bottom line, XP is faster, esp if you are just running one program (i.e. gaming).

I also know there are some who question Tom's credibility. Anyone have an opinion on that or was that just some random geek forum I stumbled on one day with it's own little culture?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    Just out on Tom's. Their bottom line, XP is faster, esp if you are just running one program (i.e. gaming).

I also know there are some who question Tom's credibility. Anyone have an opinion on that or was that just some random geek forum I stumbled on one day with it's own little culture?

It's true. I've tested it myself. Vista is substantially slower for a myriad of reasons, starting with the hugemongous memory footprint via Aero and ending in terrible driver support.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    The driver support will be solved over time.

I have to admit, as far as speed goes, I'm a bit compelled by their last point in their conclusions:
    • No new Windows release has been able to offer more application performance than its predecessor.

The things we all like about XP are that it runs well, heals itself, we don't have to reboot all the time. These days, no one talks about how fast it is...and the fact is that hardware is so much faster now than it was 5 years ago that the question of XP versus 98 speed is almost irrelevant.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    It's true. I've tested it myself. Vista is substantially slower for a myriad of reasons, starting with the hugemongous memory footprint via Aero and ending in terrible driver support.

Thrax,

Based on your experience do you feel that this loss in speed can/will be overcome as Vista (along with better drivers) becomes more "mainstream"?

I know Vista can play havok on "older" (circa. June 2006 - LOL) machines with slower processors and less memory. I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade to Vista on any of my current equipment. My gaming machine isn't the fastest out there anymore, but it still does well enough that I'm not willing to slow it down with a new OS.

Might ask for a new Dell or Alienware for a wedding present in Dec, or maybe even as a 1st anniversary present. Not gaming as much now that I'm almost hitched! LOL :D
    edited January 2007
    It's really hard to say at this point in the game, Rada. I feel that a few fundamental changes need to be made to overcome the performance hurdle:

1. Disable Aero when a 3D-accelerated application is running. Currently all GPUs must render the overhead of an accelerated UI you can't even see when there's a game going.

2. Reduce the amount of unnecessary services, either by outrightly disabling them, or by changing a large portion of them to manual startup.

3. The driver model is very, very new -- of course people are going to need time to get used to this.

4. Reduce CPU overhead by disabling unnecessary tasks at application start, preferably with some API that we can control. IE, "I want program X, X, X and X to disable feature X, X, X and X at launch. Apply."

I have some other thoughts, but I'm at work. I'll touch back later.
  • edited January 2007
    Vista's performance will overtake XP's. It's only a matter of time before the drivers for today's hardware become mature enough to utilize Vista's improvments.

Look at Windows 98 and XP - everyone thought XP would always lag behind 98 in performance, and look at it now.

Same with Win 95 and 3.1.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I wonder when XP will ever catch up with w2000 in terms of stability and speed?
    Each time we get an OS that is easier to use and less optomized for anything.
    edited January 2007
    Edcentric's comparison is much more fair: NT vs. NT.. Windows 2000 is still the speed king.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Windows 2000 is still the speed king.

And as Edd noted, 2000 is stable as hell too. If it just had Sys Restore....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    And repair install... :(
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    picky, picky.
    Yes, a full install is a pain. But at least w2k works.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    I also think vanilla would be the perfect ice cream flavor, if it just tasted like chocholate.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    w2k ftw tbh... give me Vista2K and I'll be happy :)
  • edited January 2007
    I only have 1gb of ram at present and find Vista faster than XP however I did get rid of Norton so mabe Norton was the blame for the slowness.

In any case I have Vista and am loving it, cant wait for the other 1gb of ram to turn up :D
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    I did get rid of Norton so mabe Norton was the blame for the slowness.

That's my bet. I'm "all in" on that one.
    In any case I have Vista and am loving it, cant wait for the other 1gb of ram to turn up :D

Super, what do you like? Is it just the look and feel (or "WOW" as Gates calls it) or are their more nuts and bolts things you like?
  • edited January 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    That's my bet. I'm "all in" on that one.

Super, what do you like? Is it just the look and feel (or "WOW" as Gates calls it) or are their more nuts and bolts things you like?

You really want to know what I like apart from the whole intereface? Its the way the operating actually HELPS you yes HELPS its almost self doing and self thinking just the way it does what it does when its downloading, searching for answers the whole operating system feels extremely user friendly and feels as though its their to help you!

If people dont agree then well to be fair I have used Windows since 95 and this operating system has to be the best yet!
  • edited January 2007
    vista is slower than xp on the same hareware.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm waiting for Vista SP3b myself. ;)
    edited January 2007
    I'm waiting for clever ways to remove WGA, HDCP, and a few service packs.
  • edited January 2007
    vista is slower than xp on the same hareware.

It is for now but once those updates are released along with the service packs which will come out I am sure it will help boost its peformance, and dont forget apparently you need 4gb of ram to get the most of out Vista which is crazy!