Whos' getting Vista this week?

edited February 2007 in Science & Tech
As the subject says: Who here has any plans to buy Vista sometime this week?

I'm kind of on the fence at this point. I know my system will work very well with Vista and I'll need to buy it at some point within the year weather I want to or not, and the price of Vista will not change thought the lifetime of the product (another 5 years?), but $120+ is a lot to drop on an OS that will only give you a new UI and no solid improvement in speed for another few weeks.

On the other hand, if you buy it this week many retailers are packaging it with quite a few goodies. Circuit City is including an all in one printer, 512 MB RAM and Wireless N routers with the purchase of any version of Vista above Home Premium, and while this combo won't last longer than a week at most, Vista Home Premium's $160 cost will remain unchanged for quite a few years.

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2007
    If someone wants to buy me a copy feel free.

BTW how much is the cheapest version and will it be worth it just for the basic one?
  • edited January 2007
    I will supposedly receive an upgrade DVD for Vista Home Premium in the mail due to the upgrade coupon for XP MCE. Plus, we can get the Business edition through the university. But I have no intention to install Vista without an obligation or compelling reason. That reason probably will be Halo2, Halo has been our favorite game with my kids.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited January 2007
    I have two free copies coming, but I may wait awhile to install one. I want reliable drivers before I make the jump.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2007
    Yea I'd really like to try it out, but like I said, no money :( I'll just have to wait til the summer.
  • edited January 2007
    When it comes to the differences between Vista Ultimate and Home Premium what is the real difference? I looked at the caparison chart on M$ website but I know there has to be more than 3 things different between the two. I currently use XP Pro. I mean is most getting ultimate or going with premium
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I'm torn too between Home Ultimate and Business Premium. I have to get it ---> 'cause I need to learn it --> 'cause I'll have t' support it --> :eek2:

I've been tryin' to figure out the differences, too. So far I've figured out that both ultimates include the MCE functionality. I was readin' the write up on newegg a few mins ago. The differences on their Vista promo page are vague at best...
    edited January 2007
    Here's a word of caution ya'll tinkerer's and techs might want to consider.
    Got this off newegg's vista q&a

Will Windows Vista work with my current programs?
    Vista will run the majority of applications written for Windows XP with the exception of security software and utilities. I'd say that poses a problem for a lot of us....

HERE are newegg's OEM prices.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited January 2007
    I installed Premium in a dual-boot with XP a couple weeks ago. My university's software download portal for students/teachers/faculty has the 32-bit and 64-bit versions as a free download. It's great considering I'm no longer a student but can still log in. :) I'm glad I didn't have to decide whether or not it's worth the money because, after a few sessions of using Vista, I would say no.
  • edited January 2007
    Well the thing is if there is no major needed different between Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate then Ill go with premium because its cheaper lol. Thats what I want to know. If its actually warranted to pay the extra to get Ultimate. Anyone have a clue as to the difference other than the 3 or 4 things that are vaugly represented on M$ website
    edited January 2007
    MS Vista Comparison Chart

EDIT://

Ultimate has; Premium doesn't have
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah that would be the vague website. LOL There isnt much listed there as differences. That is why I asked is it worth it to buy Ultaimte over Premium.
    edited January 2007
    Byrds6 wrote:
    Yeah that would be the vague website. LOL There isnt much listed there as differences. That is why I asked is it worth it to buy Ultaimte over Premium.
    My sentiments exactly. There are links to ea. one of these "features" that I need to read up on. On first glance, however, I'm not too taken by them. Frankly, I don't want MS handling my data or volume backups. (Kinda the fox in the hen house IMO...) And I've no interest in making HD movies. So, unless there's somethin' special about the networking or Remote Desktop, I think it's Ultimate for me...
    edited January 2007
    Ultimate has; Premium doesn't have
    • Protect against hardware failure
      w/ Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore
      Better taken care of by third party software
    • Easier business networking connectivity
      w/ Networking Center and Remote Desktop
      Re: the Networking, Couldn't really see the difference. No comparison between Ultimate and Premium.
      Re: the Remote Desktop; looks like it's dedicated to integration w/ Win2k3 Longhorn. If that's not in your scope, it's a wasted resource.
    • Better protect your data against loss
      w/ Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption
      A HDD encryption tool. A personal choice based on need & risk. May be better handled by third party utility.
    • Create high definition movies
      w/ Windows Movie Maker in High Definition
      If you need it, fine. But may, in the end, be better handled by a dedicated application.
    In the end, the additions (w/ the exception of the networking which I'm still unsure of) it would appear that the added features can be (likely better) handled by third party software. Personally, I want my OS to be an OS and leave the rest to third party programs that are dedicated to their respective tasks.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    The way I read this one, it makes an image like Acronis. It's not clear though, it also implies that the image is only the original one....but then in other places it sounds like its just an imaging app.

I see Home doesn't have Shadow Copy....a real loss for those of us who use ntbackup all the time. Or is the new Shadow Copy different from the volume shadow copy service that lets me backup open files?
    edited January 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    The way I read this one, it makes an image like Acronis. It's not clear though, it also implies that the image is only the original one....but then in other places it sounds like its just an imaging app...
    Looked a lot, to me, like the "restore" features/software shipped w/ so many proprietary computers. It'll restore the system back to its original state. That's it. If that's what it is, then it's pretty useless IMHO.
    mtrox wrote:
    ...I see Home doesn't have Shadow Copy....a real loss for those of us who use ntbackup all the time. Or is the new Shadow Copy different from the volume shadow copy service that lets me backup open files?
    That's certainly a consideration. I use a backup utility that can now (didn't used to be able to) backup open files. Really helps in cases where folks habitually leave files or apps open or where an app or the sytem keeps a file "open" (or in use) for other operations. As for ntbackup no longer working, it looks like a lot of us are going to be shopping for new (compatible) utilities (or upgrades).
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm in no rush, there's no 8800gtx drivers for vista last I checked, so not going to consider it till they're on at least the second revision of those.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited January 2007
    I'm ready to expunge the last system with 98se on it out of my life. I AM concerned about program compatibility and security though.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited January 2007
    I think I'll wait 'til SP1 arrives later this year
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited January 2007
    Premium has; Ultimate doesn't have

Isn't it the other way around?

I will have a copy of Ultimate for evaluation on an HD, but I'm not sure if I'll have a lot of time to look at it until break. From what I've seen of it- it looks like a lot of hassle to migrate to. :rolleyes:
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited January 2007
    Good catch Oriane. On the site I look at for this stuff, Ultimate has every single box checked for the various options. Just what all those options mean, we're obviously not sure.

All I know for sure, when people are lined up at CompUSA tonight at midnight, I'll be fast asleep..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I know one thing for sure ...I will not be getting the upgrade version.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5887
    It would be much pain to reinstall winxp to turn around and upgrade to vista everytime I format. pft
  • edited January 2007
    I just checked with my school, and it looks like I can get Home Premium Upgrade for $89. I still don't think I'll be buying it this month though since my car's exhaust system is in need of TLC. Not to mention I can get this discounted price for as long as I'm a student, so I have a few more months to put it off if I wish.

As for the inability to install from an upgrade disk without having XP on the system beforehand, I plan to make an image of a stripped down Win XP install which that I can use to load on the drive quickly with Acronis before allowing Vista to wipe it out.

Changes in hardware shouldn't have any effect on this since XP only needs to be on the drive. It doesn't have to actually run.
    edited January 2007
    Oriane wrote:
    Isn't it the other way around?

I will have a copy of Ultimate for evaluation on an HD, but I'm not sure if I'll have a lot of time to look at it until break. From what I've seen of it- it looks like a lot of hassle to migrate to. :rolleyes:
    I'm sure I don't know what you're talkin' about, Oriane.... :rolleyes2

lol Sorry, Absolutely bass akwards! I fixed it, though - NOT that anyone noticed anyway.... ('cept maybe mtrox... :wink: )
    edited January 2007
    TheSmJ wrote:
    ...I just checked with my school, and it looks like I can get Home Premium Upgrade for $89. I still don't think I'll be buying it this month though since my car's exhaust system is in need of TLC. Not to mention I can get this discounted price for as long as I'm a student, so I have a few more months to put it off if I wish...
    Lucky dawg!
    TheSmJ wrote:
    ...As for the inability to install from an upgrade disk without having XP on the system beforehand, I plan to make an image of a stripped down Win XP install which that I can use to load on the drive quickly with Acronis before allowing Vista to wipe it out....Changes in hardware shouldn't have any effect on this since XP only needs to be on the drive. It doesn't have to actually run...
    You sure 'bout that? :range: What happens if you restore the image to a system that the XP build was not on originally? How you gonna get the restored XP build not to balk because of "significant' or "major' (whatever the stinking message is) 'hardware changes (OS) must be reactivated". That's if it'll even boot to the desktop (past the login window).
  • edited January 2007
    Just posting a link to FS's Vista performance review with the latest ATI Cat drivers (7.1). http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_performance_amd_catalyst_7.1/

Looks pretty good. It appears that the biggest slowdown in one game is no more than 10 FPS, and some cards are even showing a boot in performance from XP to vista (however small).
  • edited January 2007
    You sure 'bout that? :range: What happens if you restore the image to a system that the XP build was not on originally? How you gonna get the restored XP build not to balk because of "significant' or "major' (whatever the stinking message is) 'hardware changes (OS) must be reactivated". That's if it'll even boot to the desktop (past the login window).

Pretty sure (although I won't ever know for sure without trying it first hand). From what I've read you can still boot from the Vista disk and install, only it checks the HDD for an existing installation of XP and then moves on to ask you what you want to do with it (format and perform a fresh install, install to a different directory, shove it up Bill's ass, etc).

Since XP wouldn't have to actually load once the image is applied - let alone complain about too many hardware changes since it was originally installed (if it could even load at all), I can't see why it wouldn't work. Sure there is a really, really slim chance the Vista installer will actually check to make sure the XP install is fully operational and activated, but I have many reasons to doubt it would go that far.

Besides, since the full edition is so much more expensive (goes for around $230 at my school) I'd rather just deal with the hassle of installing Vista on top of XP when neccessary and keep the $140.
    edited January 2007
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Pretty sure (although I won't ever know for sure without trying it first hand). From what I've read you can still boot from the Vista disk and install, only it checks the HDD for an existing installation of XP and then moves on to ask you what you want to do with it (format and perform a fresh install, install to a different directory, shove it up Bill's ass, etc).
    Oh gawd! I can't stop laughing!! Your killin' me!! ;D;D;D My cats are lookin' at me like I've lost my mind...
    Okay. I'm getting myself under control now....lordy, that really caught me off guard, TheSmJ...

Well, in that case it's a definetly a good idea. In fact, you'd never even have to get the (activated) XP build to boot. Just restore the image to the HDD - whatever system it's on doesn't matter - then w/o letting it boot to the GUI, boot to the Vista installation DVD instead. Let it find the XP build and tell it to format it. Viola! Great idea TheSmJ!
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited January 2007
    No more clean installs for Vista upgrade versions?!!! Grrrrrrr!!!!

That's redonkulous. Serioulsy... I'm having second thoughts about getting it now.
  • edited January 2007
    Im having second thoughts about getting it now too since HP isnt going to be supporting the 64bit version of the OS. Whats the point in getting it if I still can not take advantage of the hardware in my machine. Its just rediculous. This is why we should be able to get drivers from anywhere and not just from HP.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    To be fair, there's nothing that takes advantage of 64bit even with the OS in place. ;D Nothing practical, at any rate.