The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Fitness
Like many of you (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE YOU FAT BASTARDS), I need to lose weight. I am rapidly approaching the magical age of thirty, and I don't want to go into the prime of my life (pun intended) carrying extra baggage. I have enough as it is.

Having tried this before, I know it's much easier when you have other people to jeer and cheer you on, and other people to share progress and goals with.

Therefore, I am presenting the SM 30lb Challenge to all of us who need to lose that kind of weight.

The goal is to lose THIRTY US POUNDS (not Stones or Kilograms or Drachmas or whatever weird units you non-americans use) by JUNE 22nd, 2007, which coincidentally is the time of the SM LAN and is also six days before my 30th birthday. As a present to myself, I want to lose 30lbs for my 30th.

Now, it's not as hard as it sounds. That's only around five pounds a month. I did it once before - I lost almost 35lbs but like a typical slob, gained it all back. I did it before, and I know I can do it again.

One person who helped me a lot was long time short-media member and good friend CitrixMeta. He used to be a fat slob too but he lost like a million pounds and now he's a hardbodied badass who looks all tough and cool and stuff. He directed me to a site called FitDay. By altering my food intake and keeping track of what I ate, I was able to pull off some impressive results.

I digress. And regress. Back to the challenge:

Losing the weight will be the easy part. The hard part will be posting WEEKLY PICTURE UPDATES of your fatness for all of us to see. Also, you'll be keeping track as best you can of your daily progress on Fitday, so you'll need to set up a free fitday account.

Weight loss methods aren't specified in this challenge - except please don't use the "eat three cheeseburgers and do cocaine" method. It's not healthy

Yes, you'll have to post pics. Sorry, that's the deal.

So who's with me? Here is a link to my fitday account.

Let's keep this thread updated with our progress. Every Friday we'll post a pic - front and side view.

I'd like to note that there have been several friends of mine from the short-media community who have served as an inspiration for this. Congratulations to you guys who have gotten svelte and in shape. I'm proud of you all.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    Good luck, fatasses! :cheers:

(Hey, buddy - you're the one that brought up jeering. ;D )

Does the fifty pounds I lost between last May and last September count? :cool:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm in.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'd be dead. :(
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I've lost 15 pounds myself, I'm 160 right now and want to get down to 150. Though I'm taking weight training so if I loose it and pack it back on as muscle you'll hear no complaining from me:D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko's in! Who else is man enough to take the challenge.

Thrax and Prof - you guys already winned :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'll take 3 cheesebugers and coke pls!

Good luck Brian and Seth ...my best to you!
    edited January 2007
    I just realized that there may be people who aren't quite as rotund as, say, Seth or myself, but who would still like the benefit of the camaraderie that will go with this weight-loss effort. So, don't let that 30 pound number scare you away. If you need to lose 10 lbs or 20lbs, join up with us and let's do it.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    csimon wrote:
    I'll take 3 cheesebugers and coke pls!...Good luck Brian and Seth ...my best to you!...
    ROFLOL!! Three cheers for Fat Bastard!! "Get in mah bellay!!" ;D

No way man! Not w/ pics!! :wow: How 'bout pics of my cat Possum. He's fat, too!! :bigggrin:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007

Hooray. I M TEH WINNAR. :tongue: Good luck to you guys, I know you can do it. I think I'm the laziest person on earth, as Nomad can attest to, and I got 'er dun!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I could do with losing a few but not that many (little of me as there is). Im in :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Dan, if you take out your piercings you'll lose 10 lbs.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Count me in, I just noticed I am at 330-340lbs, dunno the exact amount since my scale is crazy... or it just can't accurately do anything past 300lbs. I feel the need to change my life, I wanna live for many more years.

I am in. But posting pics? I guess that would really pressure me as I think my belly looks very awkward. I call them tiger marks, like Tiger of the cereal! lol
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Dan, if you take out your piercings you'll lose 10 lbs.

haha I was thinking along the lines of 10% of his weight...:bigggrin:
    edited January 2007
    You don't have to post pictures without clothes on if you don't want to, RWB. In fact, maybe you could "silhouette" your pic if you felt more comfortable that way.

The intent is not to degrade or shame you... Well, okay, yeah, it is... No, but really the intent is to have tangible, visible feedback on our progress :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Well funny part of me being fat is that I actually eat healthy, with the exception of 2 or 3 Wendy's trips a week... I'll kill those and it should help me financially as well... but I generally eat Ramen with Eggs and Sandwiches most of the time, but I also eat these skillet meals(no added oils or anything for me), like Fried Rice and Chicken, the nutrition info shows them as being pretty good, but 5 servings vs in reality it being 2 or 1 depending on my hunger. I'll eat quite a bit, but for the past month now with the move and all I've been to busy to eat. It's been nice doing more than sitting at my computer all day. But now that the move is almost over I don't know what else I am gonna do except shop for cool furniture and stuff? Become metro sexual vs the Al Bundy type? HAHA!

By June I'd like to do more than 30... I think I could do that in a month by simply drinking more water and eating a bit better and properly which would increase the metabolism, I've done it before... but then I would just go back to old ways and the pounds slowly come back.
    edited January 2007
    well I started off with my diet change this morning. My normal eating pattern sucks - I skip breakfast, sit all day at work, and use coffee as an appetite suppressant. My first meal is around 1:30 or 2:00 in the afternoon, which I gorge and eat a lot because I'm so hungry at that point.

When I get home around 6:00 I am starving again so I eat a huge dinner, and then usually I eat again around 11:00 at night, which is no good. I go to bed around 2:00 am, so at least I'm not eating right before bed, but still.

So today, I'm switching back to the schedule I used to keep when I was losing weight. I had half a can of tuna for breakfast. For lunch I'll probably have a bologna sandwich and a small piece of stinky irish goat cheese (I like weird cheeses). Keep an eye on my fitday.

I used to do so well at this. Look at what I ate on November 21, 2005. That's what I'm shooting for again :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hey Prime, Count me in on this endeavor, but I am shooting for a bit more lbs to drop...

Last year at SM LAN I was around 225lbs not to bad for being 6'5" tall, but was still over the national average. I am now pushing a hefty 285lbs and well I want to drop 60lbs to get to my old 225lbs. I am headed over to make an account and will post it here in a minute.

I am going to need massive help in my eating habits, and any help form any SM members is more than welcome, hit me up on MSN or AIM and help slap my fat ass into shape.

My Fit Day Account
    edited January 2007
    This is great, because the hardest part of losing weight is doing it alone. I used to be all secretive when I started a weight loss program, but I realize the peer pressure is actually good. People keep an eye on you because they want you to succeed. We'll be encouraging each other, which is key.

Right now I'm around 285. My goal weight is 190, but 200 or less would be fantastic. My goal for the LAN is to be under 250. Certainly attainable.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    To lose weight you don't have to starve yourself. WTF?! Half can of tuna? Eat small portions but more times a day (every three hours). Helps the metabolism. If you starve yourself, your body is gonna start gnawing at your muscles for energy. You could eat a chicken sandwich and some juice. Eat a granola bar and some fruit 3 hours later. Have your other meal 3 hours after that and so on.

As for me, I can't say that I will or will not join in on this since I'm currently off my meds (long story). Once/If I start them, I'll probably feel good enough to join you guys.
    edited January 2007
    The reason I eat so little at breakfast time is because I am so rushed. I almost got the kids late to school just because of that half a can of tuna. It was all I could cram into my mouth as we were running out the door.

believe me, I'm not a proponent of starving ones' self. Still, half a can of tuna is way more than I normally eat for breakfast - which is nothing.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    Get some whey protein powder and nonfat milk, then have a shake for breakfast.

Sixty seconds from start to finish - just like your sex life. :vimp:

(This jeering stuff is fun! :thumbsup: )

(Everyone knows I'm kidding, right? :hiding: )
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    just like your sex life.

Poor Prof....
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I signed up for a FitDay account today. Thanks for the impetus, Brian. It's a great way to analyze the diet I've put myself on.

My goal is definitely not a 30-lb weight loss. I've been working out since November, and I have a weight gain goal of 10 pounts over where I am now, but I want to make the entire gain in muscle, and I'd also like to lose most of the visceral fat that I still have around my midsection. Since I joined the gym, my chest press ability has increased from 80lb (stick man) to 125lb (@3 sets of ten reps each). I've got several lifting goals in addition to my dietary/weight goals, but I don't need to detail them all here...

Here is my FitDay link...

I'm here for moral support of anyone else who's engaging in a fitness program.
    edited January 2007
    Thanks guys!

One thing we ALL need to do is drink more water. I decided to use fitday to track my water intake too.

One thing for coffee/tea drinkers: don't overlook the sugar or cream you put into your drinks. Track it ALL.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Thanks guys!

One thing we ALL need to do is drink more water. I decided to use fitday to track my water intake too.

One thing for coffee/tea drinkers: don't overlook the sugar or cream you put into your drinks. Track it ALL.

Thanks for the reminder about the water. That's something else I intended to put on the chart too.

I had to create a custom coffee for myself that included the 1/2 tablespoon of half and half and the packet of Equal that I put in my morning coffee. Luckily it's not killing me too badly! :tongue:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Already lost about ten - need to lose ten more. How? So simple:

Increased exercise -- walking and snow clearing, that's it.
    Diet -- less red meat, less whole-fat dairy; increased servings of fruit and vegetables; cut down on snacks; leave the table when I still feel a little hungry (20 minutes later feel satisfied)

Really easy, no magic, no gimmicks, no special purchases, not trendy diet-of-the-year horseship.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I've been using Splenda instead of sugar for literally everything I used to use sugar for... I've notice certain 'movements' have gotten better overall at least, but I probably had an intake of sugar equal to a whole package form the store a week before.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007

Prime,

I'm already working on losing weight for my wedding. but I'll join you.

My goal is two-fold yours - 60 lbs.... I was at 262, the heaviest I've ever been. Needed to make some serious changes in my current lifestyle. It was shocking and depressing just how far I've fallen. not 10 years ago I was 200 lbs with a 34-36 inch waist, now that has blown up to 40 inches!

My goal is 195-205 lbs by my birthday June 11th. Sounds like a lot, but 60 lbs is only 2.5 lbs per week.

I started just over two weeks ago, doing the Body for Life diet and exercise program. Like you with your program, I did this before and lost 34 lbs in 13 weeks. In the past 2 weeks I lost 13 lbs, but losing fast in the beginning is natural, the hard part is when weight loss slows down later into the program.

So count me in man!
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    The reason I eat so little at breakfast time is because I am so rushed. I almost got the kids late to school just because of that half a can of tuna. It was all I could cram into my mouth as we were running out the door.

believe me, I'm not a proponent of starving ones' self. Still, half a can of tuna is way more than I normally eat for breakfast - which is nothing.

Prime,

Not sure if you like 'em, but I keep a 18 pack carton of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge all the time while I'm on a program. They're quick, and easy to grab on the go. I only eat the whites though, too much bad stuff in the yokes. I will make egg salad out of 4 egg whites and 1 yoke for added flavor.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I don't have a scale, but I'd guess that I have around 10-12 pounds of fat I could get rid of.

Problem is, I'm bad at shopping for and cooking healthy foods. It seems like tasty (bad) foods are easier to buy and cook. But if I were a tad less lazy I could probably do it. I should probably also make my gym visits a bit more regular; right now I just go "whenever I have time." That is to say, when I'm not eating something fried and playing Civ 4 :D

BTW - here's my own advice that I followed once and plan to follow again. Three years ago, I cut out soda from my diet, and when I reintroduced it later, I switched to diet. I also cut out snacking on junkfood and my weird habit of surrounding anything I ate (that was already unhealthy) with chips or nachos. Coupled with doing some pushups and situps for about 10 minutes in the evening, I managed to lose about 20 pounds over a few months. Not bad for minimal effort :thumbsup: