Purchase Country vs Install Country? - Office 2007

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited February 2007 in Science & Tech
Hey all,

Bit of a tricky one this -

I have 20 machines (in the UK) on which I need to install Office 2007.

I could get an open license in the UK and install them - at a cost of around £5,200, however if I were to purchase retail boxes versions in the us (Literally physically over the counter) It would cost £4560 - a fair saving.

What (if anything) would there be to stop me doing this?

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    osaddict wrote:
    ...I have 20 machines (in the UK) on which I need to install Office 2007....I could get an open license in the UK and install them - at a cost of around £5,200, however if I were to purchase retail boxes versions in the us (Literally physically over the counter) It would cost £4560 - a fair saving...What (if anything) would there be to stop me doing this?
    That's a very good question. I don't know of any restrictions that would prevent you doing this. But then I've never been presented w/ the decision you need to make. You could give the vendor a call or, better yet, Microsoft. Hopefully others more knowledgeable on licensing will contribute here.

Are there any differences in the version that you can purchase in the UK as opposed to the version you can purchase in the US? (e.g. UK English content vs US English content)
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited February 2007
    I don't think there are any differences - from what I have seen...

I can't think of any restrictions myself- but then its tricky to even research them!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    It's possible that purchasing one region's licenses for commercial use in another region violates the terms of the EULA and you would not be in compliance. WGA might not validate the product either.

With that said, I bought a full volume license copy of Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 a few weeks ago, directly from Adobe Licensing, for use in the US, and when I downloaded it directly from them, I got a UK version, which is no different at all except for the default dictionaries. So it's hard to say. I'd definitely call MS on that one. You don't want to spend that much money and be out of license compliance.
    edited February 2007
    lol we need creative suite 2 as well :p

if thats cheaper in the states then that could be an option too!
    edited February 2007
    Maybe this will help...

Microsoft Volume Licensing Worldwide
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited February 2007
    WOW, I cannot believe software costs that much.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    Watch for the VAT man if you do import that many.
    edited February 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    Watch for the VAT man if you do import that many.
    huh?

EDIT://
    Nevermind. I got it! VAT = value added tax (on international products). Good point, Kentigern. :smiles:
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, it's quite possible that will offset any cost advantages of getting it in the US in the case of office - not sure about creative suite and framemaker though.
    edited February 2007
    If it's just one of each you might get away with it being a gift from a friend (you got one in US) for your birthday :)
    Any more than that - if Customs opens the pack = VAT
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, exactally, we need 1 copy of framemaker and 1 copy of cs2, that I feel is ok, 20 copies of 2007 office is pushing it a bit :p lol

(so glad I use open office at home - so much easier lol)
    edited February 2007
    Why not wait a bit for office 2007 to reduce in price - here in UK - If you live near or in big town/city usually takes about 6 months to reduce. :)

OR

CONVERT the office to open office :bigggrin:
    edited February 2007
    The latter will not work - its not advanced enough for what we do, unfortunately :(

The former sounds attractive - but people have been using the beta 2 version of 2007 and have got very used to it now! doh!
    edited February 2007
    Is MS doing a trail version - (I don't know) - if so how long would trial last for ?

Just thinking aloud - no further thoughts at this time :)
    edited February 2007
    They did a trial, which for us expired on 1st Feb...
    edited February 2007
    Ouch !!!