THE (final) SHORT-MEDIA LAN #1 THREAD

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    Ok boys watch out, Clutch is coming for the long drive :thumbsup: me and my friend are coming and bringing our gaming skills with us so prepared to be pwned, haha

This is going to be the best event ever, you guys all rock, hope to see all of you in Detroit :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2003
    We should also figure out what games will be played at this little shindig. Looks like we got Operation Flashpoint, but what else?

I'm thinking UT/UT2K3 for some simple "kill anything that moves" FPS. How about Starcraft, or Warcraft 3 as a strat. game?

Keep in mind HL2 will be out by this point, and God knows I'd be rarin' to try it out for some unbeatable LAN action.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Stop editing pictures Mack, we all know you tried to make Shorty look taller, but luckily I managed to grab the original before it was pulled........

NS
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 said
    Stop editing pictures Mack, we all know you tried to make Shorty look taller, but luckily I managed to grab the original before it was pulled........

NS

;D;D

Thats mean!

Mcbain, I´m looking to see that wednesday game since i am planning to stay for a week and bug the hell out of Prime and Thrax. They better call in sick from school/work, otherwise i´m gonna hit them with a celeron.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    wow, sweet to see that his is actually coming together and has a set date, I gotta check out some air fares and about how to get a playable system to the place, hopefully it won't fill up too fast!!!
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    Eh I don't really have a problem with the $20 fee. Just as long as we get to play some BF1942 in there somewhere. I might develope a nervous twitch if I don't get to frag someone. It'll be fun to meet everyone also. I know I havn't been around the forums as long as others but I've been meaning to start visiting more frequently.

Norge
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Is it in any way possible to get a list of who's reserved a spot posted up here? If others who are still thinking about it find someone they really want to meet attending the LAN, that could push them into coming.
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited October 2003
    man i wish i could go, i just donno how i could get my rig up there, from Louisiana :/
  • edited October 2003
    How many people have we confirmed that are coming? Also, we should get a list of games going. I’ll volunteer for that.

@Liquid: If you’re driving, stick it in the back seat. If your flying, take it on the plane.

If people are bringing their boxes from Europe, you should manage.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    Bringing a tower onto a plane is an aweful big carry-on.

You could always pack it up and FedEx it to Prime's house or something a few days prior to your arrival (I'd be sure to clear this with prime first :D )

I'd go if I had money :\

Are you planning to have a server that can be accessed outside the network, or is it LAN servers only? :p
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    TheSmJ said
    How many people have we confirmed that are coming? Also, we should get a list of games going. I’ll volunteer for that.

@Liquid: If you’re driving, stick it in the back seat. If your flying, take it on the plane.

If people are bringing their boxes from Europe, you should manage.

can a computer be safely transported on a plane? air fare I checked for me would be like $270 round trip, but that would be okay if I could bring my rig with me. I remember someone before saying they might be able to reserve me one of their monitors... ;) that would work out nicely
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I have (count 'em) three monitors that I can let people use. Two 17" CRTs and a 15" cheapy LCD that probably sucks for gaming. Reserve 'em now! PM me for reservations.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    I _should_ have a monitor. I think the one at home is kinda going out cause it shuts off once in awhile and you have to turn it back on. Not sure if it is reliable enough or not. I also have 2 15" monitors I could bring if someone is desparate.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    i am more or less in on this...i just need to talk to TD to make sure everything is cool...since he will be driving
    edited October 2003
    1 monitor down, 2 left...
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited October 2003
    I've got an extra 17" and an extra 15"
    edited October 2003
    Well, the international travellers should definitely get monitors, since they're going to have the hardest time getting theirs here. Thanks for making those available, McBain.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    hmm, should i bring my 22in monitor??

maybe i should just take my sister's 15in LCD instead.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    As far as people who are coming, me and a friend are for sure coming. I would offer to bring up my other 17" monitor for anyone needing it, but it might would be a pain to carry it, since it is rather big and ol, because mustangs have very little back seats, but I could probably manage if I need to bring it.

Let me know.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Um, pack it in a big heavy PICNIC thermal cooler, duct tape shut, attach label saying themrally protected monitor enclosed-- they will XRAY it, but probably no damage that way if you also bag it and styrofoam peanut pack it or put cooler in box-- essentially, you need drop and some thermal and jostle protection, three boxes with taped shut heavy garbage bags, a metal trunk, or a cooler of 60 quarts size would probably protect biggest monitor you would want to CARRY for half a mile (US airports can be big(DTW, Detroit, is Real Big now), luggage carts are RENTALS in US usually). But a 2-3 CASE beer cooler would be enough if you peanut filled it, for a big 19" monitor and would have the nice benefit of not letting things have to be unthawed TOTALLY to work and protect them while being transparent to XRAYS. Mark it Electronic Components, FRAGILE, in 2 inch letters on banner paper WELL taped on, also. AND insure it.

John.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2003
    Cant go, but definately wanna frag some of you...

Any chance of playing over the WWW? Or are these servers going to be LAN only?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Thats an Idea, how about setting up some VPN's Prime?

NS
    edited October 2003
    Well, I can't see why not, but it would be kind of a crappy connection seeing as we have only 768K upstream at the office. But we do have static IPs, so....

It would have to be a limited thing.. 768K total bandwidth ain't much....
  • edited October 2003
    damn I wanna go - I'd play a few FPS games then cook a lot of food for you guys - taco bell would overload the restrooms :D
  • edited October 2003
    Cant really go, besides I hardly ever post here.

But, I can donate some games from the Icronticgames stockpile - but maybe you guys are already prepered..

Best of luck anyway in your venture sounds cool :D:thumbsup:
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2003
    ...because I don't know what will be going on with my life until close to the date. Additionally, a 14 hour drive (or 17-19 hours greyhound) is pretty wicked. Driving, it's an hour more than from Montgomery AL to Fairfax, VA...and that's a borderline 2 day trip for me :(

I still might come, but there's also the bit about driving on ice. Living in central Alabama, that's never been an issue for me except for once =/

Like I said, I can give a definitive answer around mid to late December.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    Doesnt matter if you visit here that often or not Coaster.

Oh and HI!:)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    Is it in any way possible to get a list of who's reserved a spot posted up here? If others who are still thinking about it find someone they really want to meet attending the LAN, that could push them into coming.

Well.....is there a list available? Thrax has a really good point.
    edited October 2003
    I'm going, that's all that matters :o
  • edited October 2003
    lol

I have changed my mind on that note PS - nah joking... I wish I could go, but I have things going off right now :)