Web hosting

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Internet & Media
I have been thinking about setting up a personal web site for myself for some time, but never got around to it yet - partly because I am not quite sure how to best handle the web hosting issue. The site would contain some of my photos (currently at www.photo.net/photos/fmueller) and some articles I wrote, mostly on aquaristic related stuff, photography, and some other odds and ends. I don't expect a huge amount of traffic, and would like to get the web hosting for free or very cheap. I'd also like to write the web pages myself in HTML and upload them via FTP, rather than having to learn how to handle any gizmos that create the code. I've done a class in web development, so I know just the basics and would like to improve on that over time. Initially I expect to need only html and css. Having the option of using some form of cgi programming would be a plus, but not absolutely necessary right now. If possible I would like to get my own domain name, but don't want to pay much for it either. I know I am cheap :bigggrin: Any suggestions where I could best get what I am looking for?

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2007
    Click the link at the top right.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    You don't think my needs would be a bit too basic for those guys to be worth bothering? I kinda feel like I might make a joke of myself if I contact them and ask for a bit of web space for some photos and a few articles. Plus I was hoping to get something that's free - or nearly free. In short, I guess I am looking for something more amateurish. Sorry if my question if below the usual level of this forum icon_redface.gif
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited February 2007
    Those pictures on your web page are simply INCREDIBLE! Are those fish pictures from your own tank(s)?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    Does your ISP not provide some free web space with your subscription fee?
    edited February 2007
    Radeon_Man wrote: »
    Those pictures on your web page are simply INCREDIBLE! Are those fish pictures from your own tank(s)?

Many thanks. Yes, those are all my fishies :smiles:

This is my 240G Tanganyika community setup:

5273535-md.jpg

That tank is part of the reason I want to setup a site, because I get lots of questions how I put it together. It's kinda high-tech, low budget, so quite a few people would like to replicate some of the stuff I did. The photo just made it on the front cover of the bulletin of the Ohio Cichlid Association :cool2:

Frank
    edited February 2007
    Kentigern wrote: »
    Does your ISP not provide some free web space with your subscription fee?

Interesting idea. I haven't actually checked on that yet. I am using Time Warner's RoadRunner. Guess it's expensive enough that they should!

Frank
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited February 2007
    Keep us posted on how the website goes! I am actually looking at setting up a Cichlid tank in the near future.
    edited February 2007
    Radeon_Man wrote: »
    Keep us posted on how the website goes! I am actually looking at setting up a Cichlid tank in the near future.

I trust you are already familiar with www.cichlid-forum.com? That site is awesome, or in other words, for cichlid advice what shortmedia is for computer advice :bigggrin:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    TBH hosts like 1and1 Internet, Sarcnet, and Go daddy offer awesome inexpensive services. Just get your domain and a not to expensive account and your in :)

Some hosting fees start at like $4.99 a month on up to $49.99 a month