The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Good news, I'm down 11 pounds since I started!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Kwitko wrote: »
    Good news, I'm down 11 pounds since I started!
    Congrats ...how much more to go?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    19 to go for the challenge, 77 to go on my personal goal.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Kwitko wrote: »
    19 to go for the challenge, 77 to go on my personal goal.
    77 more is a lot of weight to lose. A friend from high school lost 100 pounds in about 6 mos by only eating taco salads and working out.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I guess I need to start working out, I haven't lost any more weight. I really didn't want to work out though.
    edited February 2007
    csimon wrote: »
    77 more is a lot of weight to lose.

Not when death is on the line. I'm a 277 pound walking, talking, ticking time bomb right now. Borderline hypertension, high cholesterol, high triglycerides. My eating habits, while not perfect, have changed significantly. When I eat carbs, I do my best to make sure they're "brown" carbs. I'm eating more fruits and vegetables, less red meat, more chicken and fish.

11 pounds so far without aid of exercise. Now that I've set the groundwork for healthier living, I'm ready to start exercising. I should really start to see the pounds fly off.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    I'm proud of you Kwitskie. :)

By the way - looks like the man from the Big Apple has jumped way out in the lead. Who is going to be the one to put some heat on him and make this a horse race? :cool:
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Well when I get a chance to get some place with a scale I'll post with an update of what I weigh right now... I have no idea, but continue to get compliments saying that it looks as if I've lost weight... Of course the dropping 2 pants sizes 42-38 is a big indication as well...
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Hope I can join in on the fatty challenge.

A while ago (okay, 3 years ago) I decided I was going to lose weight, so I did SlimFast and jogged every day, I ended up losing about 22lbs in 6 weeks, worked pretty well. Unfortunately at that point I gave up and did not care. So, fast forward to Sept 2006, I moved out of my house and into an apartment where myself and my roomates have been a bit self indulgent when it comes to eating out, fast food and drinking lots of beer. So imagine my shock when I remember the last time I weighed myself in that period of working out (again, 3 years ago) I was around 191, and here is my scale staring back at me with a figure dangerously close to 240. WTF happened?

So, I went out and bought a treadmill after Xmas because it was the excersize I did before to lose the 22lbs and I enjoyed it. I was kinda spotty through the beginning of January, but for the last two weeks I have been speed walking/jogging on the treadmill Tues-Fri in the evening after working, averaging 1.5-2miles/day. I also have been on SlimFast again, which really works for me because normally im out of the house so quick I dont even eat a normal breakfast anyway, this helps keep me full. Then I a slimfast for lunch and some granola bar/nutrigrain etc for a snack in the afternoon, it doesnt feel like I'm "starving myself" because I dont notice that much at work and the slimfast fills me up pretty well, it worked before and im doing pretty good again.

Anyway, so I started at about 137 and through the bit of treadmilling I did in the beginning of january and now taking it seriously, im down to about 133, I really would like to continue losing the pounds before summer hits so I can hit the beaches, I'm pretty self-concious about at this point.

Hope I'm not too late to join the challenge, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and put some pictures of my largeness up on here for all to see
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Hey, whatcha guys think about this? I'll try it for a while, see how it goes? How often, I'll be the guinea pig...? Looks liek something you can do at home...

http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFitness/0612/workout_swat.html
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    That sounds awesome. It's something anybody can do, anywhere. No "i need equipment" or "i don't have a gym membership" or "I don't have the room for exercise at home" excuses.

I'll do it with you, tt.

:rarr:
    edited February 2007
    That looks like an awesome workout. I'm going to try it tomorrow.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'll be doing that here in the office, I probably shouldn't be doing jumping jacks in a 3rd floor apartment ;D

Looks awesome! THANKS TT!
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Don't underestimate the use of basic cardio, just a brisk walk for a half hour even, is a very good workout for your heart.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Nomad wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the use of basic cardio, just a brisk walk for a half hour even, is a very good workout for your heart.

I ain't walking or running anywhere around where I live :p
    edited February 2007
    That sounds awesome. It's something anybody can do, anywhere. No "i need equipment" or "i don't have a gym membership" or "I don't have the room for exercise at home" excuses.

I'll do it with you, tt.

:rarr:

Cool! I'll try to turn that page into something you can see from across the room today...

edit: maybe a garage would be the best place - find some extra carpet...etc. Easy to air out the garage too... :wink:
    edited February 2007
    Nomad wrote: »

Yeah, I went with the wife to the gym yesterday just to walk for 20 min on the treadmill, I was tired, but figure it's better than nothing...
    edited February 2007
    OK, I made a little PDF for the SWAT training - I'll start today!

I modified it a bit so people can start out easy, and then move up. I think it's explained pretty easily on the sheet, but let me know if I can make it any clearer.

I START TODAY! (at 1x the reps listed... :D )

SM_SWAT_Training.pdf
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2007
    Well, being sick cost me just over a pound... ...and I don't mean British currency either...

I was at 247.7 as of my last weigh-in... This morning I was at 249.1. I gained 1.4 lbs, but I'm feeling better and back on track.

Going to hit the gym today after work. Up a little late last night to work out in the morning. Plan on showing Mandi that SWAT workout, it would fit her schedule right now.

I'll have my FitDay infor posted shortly.
    edited February 2007
    If you're out of shape like me, be careful when doing the SWAT workout. Take it slow, and don't be afraid to stretch half the workout into 15 minutes. Better to do 15 minutes slow than 10 fast. The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out too quickly. In fact, it's best to consult a doctor to make sure you're in good enough shape to do at least part of it.
    edited February 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    If you're out of shape like me, be careful when doing the SWAT workout. Take it slow, and don't be afraid to stretch half the workout into 15 minutes. Better to do 15 minutes slow than 10 fast. The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out too quickly. In fact, it's best to consult a doctor to make sure you're in good enough shape to do at least part of it.

Yeah, if you look at the PDF, I cut the workout down to 20% of what it normally is for people to start out on... Should be OK, I think. Of course, everyone should probably have talked to their doctors before doing any of this... :confused:
    edited February 2007
    I did the 70 jacks, the ab bicycles twice, the boxers twice, and the side leaps once. I think I'll try your method tomorrow.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2007
    I know I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I have to mention it again....

I SPEND (USED TO) TOO MUCH MONEY EATING OUT..

I cross-referenced 1-13 Jan 07 against 1-13 Feb 07.

Jan 1-13 was pre-diet/30 lb challenge, and I spent $221.06!!!!!!!!

This month, Feb 1-13 my out-flow of cash on eating out was $68.12..

..even if I add all the $$ I spent Feb 1-13 on grocery items my total is only $174.82!!

These numbers make me never want to eat out again...
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited February 2007
    I'm up for next wave, (unless I meet my goal weight by then) 1lb/week sustained FTW!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    oh man did I totally blow my day or what?

WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? A vendor took me and the guys out to the bar. We drank a lot of a few beers :wtf:

okay, I had like five pints.... If I don't eat another thing today, i'll still be within "spec" I think....but I dunno.... ;D
    edited February 2007
    Come on, tubby! Get that butt in gear!
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited February 2007
    We drank a lot of a few beers :wtf:

LOL. Wow you guys are doing great. I just started my diet dec 1st. '06. Why then and not new years you ask?!? I wanted to prove to my self that i had the willpower to do it through the fatty holidays. Anyway I weighed in at 285lbs then and with watching what i ate and working out 2-3 times a week, I'm weighing in at 242lbs. The most drastic thing I've done is cutting out soda and most bread. Which i might say, for some reason hasn't been too rough, i haven't had a soda in almost 3 months now. But the biggest thing is water, i buy the 24 packs of 16oz. Ozarka bottles for about 4 bucks and go through it in about 3-4 days. I also eat 5 times a day, most importantly breakfast which i also never ate.:)

Anyway good luck guys!!! :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    ...WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?...
    Exercise some willpower? ;)

Kwitko is wiping the floor with you, Mr. Arbuckle. :cool:
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    here's my "baseline" photos, they're not totally baseline since I started at like 237-239ish and now I'm at like 233, but they're pretty close, its all good cause theres still plenty of fatness to go away so the photos serve their purpose. these photos alone are pretty good motivation, helps to be able to step away and see what you look like, yikes! I figure I can post a new set every tuesday. Thats what everybody is doing for the challenge, right?

I've been speedwalking/jogging 2 miles/day on my treadmill at home everyday but monday for the last 2 weeks, as well as doing the slimfast with snacks during the day, I feel better already from the walking.

btw; is it something with this thread or is it RADA sig that like causes all the posts to get all like nested into each other after it? Like it looks all messed up to me, all the posts after his are inside of one giant post outline.
    edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Kwitko is wiping the floor with you, Mr. Arbuckle. :cool:

Wiping the floor? Nah. Just looking forward to living a full life.