power supply confusion

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Ok, I have a brand new PSU, and I am using it to drive an old NF7 mobo.
Of course the mobo wants 20pin + 4 pin. No problem, the PSU has a 20+4 connector.
EXCEPT. The extra 4 pin PSU connector will not fit into the 4 pin socket on the mobo.
There is a 6 pin lead from the PSU, and it will fit in the socket, BUT it looks like the polarity is backward (blacks and yellows on oposite sides?)?

Have I just messed my mind up. Is there a problem here or not?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Can you post a photo? I'm a little confused too, I think! ;)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    No, I can't get a photo.
    I have an old (pre-SATA) is a Thermatake. on the 4 pin connector the two wires on the latch side are Yellow, the other two are Black.

On my new CoolerMaster PSU the six pin conector (that fits into the 4 pin socet on the mobo) has the Balck wires on the latch side and the Yellow wires on the other side.

I am going to the CM because this is my wifes computer and I am trying to make it quieter.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Don't cram the 6-pin into the 4-pin :eek2:

If the 4 pin doesn't fit, that doesn't make sense to me.... I thought they were and always have been standard across the board :(
    edited February 2007
    I'll try again. Of course this is in a case with a tower cooler so my hands don't quiet fit, but I'll find a way.
    tks ed
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Whoa! The 20+4 pin ATX connector is only for a 20 or 24 pin ATX socket. The +4 addition to the ATX connector is only for the main ATX socket. The 4-pin "P4" socket on the motherboard requires a separate (NOT ATX) P4 plug.
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I know.
    The confusion was that this PSU has 3 four pin connectors.
    One that is the extra for pins for the 24, one that is for something else, and the one that I needed. It was folded under the PSU.
    We are now booted and running.

Now I need to figure out how to control the CPU fan speed on an NF7.