The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Camman wrote:
    btw; is it something with this thread or is it RADA sig that like causes all the posts to get all like nested into each other after it? Like it looks all messed up to me, all the posts after his are inside of one giant post outline.
    Yeah, I killed the Folding@Home sigs - check the Team forum to get an updated one :) RADA's sig is fixed now.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Just a note.

I'm down to 157.5ish. Ohh Rah!

I still have the damn belly though. But I've noticed my arms, legs and but have gotten a lot leaner and more defined.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    So I wasn't going to eat anymore tonight, since my fat percentage in my macros has been up the last few days. Then my girlfriend made brownies and sent them to me...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    If you guys would like a little inspiration as you go along, here's a thread from a bodybuilding forum I hang out at:
    http://cybermessageboard.hypermart.net/totalfitness/viewtopic.php?t=4657

Maybe someday I'll tell my story, too. :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Maybe someday I'll tell my story, too. :)
    You have the body of Atlas buried in the back yard?
    edited February 2007
    No posts from anyone for two days? I guess my attempt to be inspirational went over like booking Billy Graham to be the keynote speaker at an Al Qaeda conference... :shakehead
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Week 2 and I'm a little discouraged since I haven't gained, or lost, any weight in a week. I haven't been doing bad at all, I've been consistent on the 1300-1500 calories a day, lots of water, so I expect the weight to start coming off again soon :-/

I am replacing one of my meals with a slim fast shake. I have 40 cans on hand ( a month's worth ), we'll see how that goes.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Week 2 and I'm a little discouraged since I haven't gained, or lost, any weight in a week. I haven't been doing bad at all, I've been consistent on the 1300-1500 calories a day, lots of water, so I expect the weight to start coming off again soon :-/

I am replacing one of my meals with a slim fast shake. I have 40 cans on hand ( a month's worth ), we'll see how that goes.
    How are you feeling Brian? Don't get too discouraged just yet you know it takes time for your body to adjust.
    On another note ...I'm considering doing a colon cleanse during the lenten season. This is anything new for me at all since I've been doing every year for the past 10 years. I know I'll feel better once it's done and probably shed some fat in the process ...just in time for the annual family beach vacation at Orange Beach Alabama.

I prefer the Tiao He cleanse from natures sushine but there are others.

[elephant man voice]I am not a shill ...[/elephant man voice]
    http://www.healthy-sunshine.com/chinese-tiao-he-cleanse.asp
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I was thinking about doing a session of colon hydrotherapy. If it's good enough for Robin Quivers it's good enough for me.
    edited February 2007
    A friend of mine just ordered Dr. Natura Colonix or whatever it's called. I'll let him be the guinea pig and let you guys know how it goes for him :crazy:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Actually, I meant going to a holistic center and having the procedure done.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Well I seem to be back at about 228... I've definitely been eating better but I haven't been working out. And I just remembered I was going to bring my hand weights with me to work, grr. I forgot them.

Ugh, I was loosing weight at first and cheating, now I am eating even better but gaining weight back? Doesn't make sense.
    edited February 2007
    I would strongly urge all of you to engage in some sort of strength training. I know it's been said before, but it's well worth repeating.

When you go on a strict diet you not only lose fat, you lose muscle, too. Every pound of muscle on your body uses 50 calories a day just keeping itself going. If you lose five pounds of muscle you will lower your daily calorie needs by 250, meaning that you will then need to reduce your intake by 250 calories just to break even.

My weight has remained unchanged since October, yet the new jeans I bought in September are much looser than when I bought them. I am also eating way more than I did last Summer. The reason? I lift weights four days a week and am adding significant amounts of muscle. While my waist shrinks my other measurements (biceps, thighs, and chest) are growing. The extra muscle I've added allows me to eat more (good, "clean" food only) and benefit from the added nutrients in my diet.

Most people who are prone to weight gain are caught in a vicious cycle where every period of dieting results in significant muscle loss, leaving them farther in the hole than when they started. This is usually blamed on aging ("Gee, I can't seem to lose weight as easily as I did when I was younger..."), but the real cause is that they have shot themselves in the foot by reducing their bodies ability to burn calories.

If you can't get to a gym, do yourself a big favor and invest thirty bucks in a set of dumbbells. Think of all the extra blubber you'll lose - and all the extra food you'll be able to eat. :)
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2007
    .... I've been consistent on the 1300-1500 calories a day, lots of water, so I expect the weight to start coming off again soon :-/

Brian,

I personally think you are eating too little. 1300-1500 calories for a 230lb man is not enough. Someone your size needs to be closer to 2000 cals per day. Once you get down to your goal weight you can drop the calories more but for now you need to eat more..

Try bringing your caloric intake up to 1800-2000 calories. Your goal is to just reduce your calories enough to make your body reach for 200-500 calories a day from stored fat. If you go too low your body swtiches from "getting fit" mode to starvation mode I described a few posts back. Its holding on to every calorie it can because it thinks you can't find enough food.

Please give it a shot man, I think you'll be pleased with the results..
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited February 2007
    Hey guys, just seen this thread - awesome idea and great to see people working hard

I have never been ripped even when i visited the gym 5 days a week, have not been in recently apart from the occasional time and the weight is now up to 240 of your american pounds! Which is not good.

So from about now its lose the weight time, cannot make the gym this evening but I am going to do a cardio plan I saw, and did a few years ago, more in a sec.

In the gym I would only do the treadmill as an after thought to my weights (personal best bench is 440lb) now I'm going to go to the gym again and do weights and then at least a mile on the treadmill and some work on the stationary bike.

But apart from the eating side which I find hard to control the best thing I ever did was a little routine 3 times a week, now what I am going to mention is hard, even frightening but it melts fat like a snowman in July! And takes 12 mins, sometimes 8 .... :bigggrin:

I did this on a monday, wed and Friday - ideally first thing in the morning after your "fast" during sleep. But anytime is good.

You find a field or track or in my case my street. You do a light jog for 4 mins to warm yourself up, maybe after a stretch and some jumping jacks. Then come the hard 4 mins where the work's done......

Sprint 20 secs then walk for 10 secs - repeat 8 times - you rest on your walks = total time 4 mins.
    Finish with a 4 mins warm down jog (If you can!)

Now you do not start like Maurice Green, go at 55-60% of flat out to start with, build it up over time. The first time I tried a few years ago I had to lie down to catch my breath and I did not feel right for 50 mins!! But i felt great after doing it, very proud I pushed hard and I did not eat for 1 hour to maximise the far burn effect, and experts reckon with this amount of intensity you continue burning fat for 10 or so additional hours!

I ended up doing this for 3 weeks, and it was amazing such as change. The second time only took 30 mins to get my breath back and it got better and better and better. And I am NOT a runner, hate hate hate it but anything I hate doing regards fitness tends to be good and will help me lots. Once you start doing this, or something similar you'll really kick start the fat burn, as this high intensity stuff is fat's worst nightmare.

And tonight even thought I cannot make the gym, the sweats are getting put on and I start sprinting round in the cold and dark.

May even post a starting pic if I'm brave enough!

Stick at it people, and see u on the beach! :thumbsup:
    edited February 2007
    Wind sprints are great, they really help your lungs.
    edited February 2007
    Fat Loss For Beginners

Nobody is quitting, are they? ;)
    edited February 2007
    I haven't quit by any means. My diet is rocking out, I'm proud of the changes I've been able to make :)
    edited February 2007
    It doesn't happen overnight, it's not easy to reverse years of bad habits. My diet has changed- more fresh fruits and vegetables, smaller portions, more home-made and less processed foods. I slip a bit here and there, but now that I've laid the groundwork for the better eating habits, I'm going full force into the exercising.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2007
    Way to go fellas. I'm soooooo proud of you all!
    edited February 2007
    Down to 154:tongue:

/me starts playing Faith by Limp Bizkit. "Cause not everybody has a body like me!"
    edited February 2007
    omg Faith was "By" George Michael... Please don't say it was "BY" limp bizkit.. they covered that song.... :rolleyes:
    edited February 2007
    duly noted and downloaded.
    edited February 2007
    duly noted and downloaded.

I wouldn't. Neither version is particularly good.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Yo, just checking in since I havent since last tuesday.

My weight seems to fluctuate wildly, its pretty bizzarre, I think I need to just lock my scale away and only weigh (spelled right? that looks odd to me) myself once a week, but every time I go into the bathroom I see it there and I'm like hmm what the hell, but its strange, cause earlier in the week I weighed myself and I was 231 and I'm like alright sweet down 6 pounds from when I started, but then I weighed myself two days later and its like 235, what gives.

Anyway I lost a couple of days of running last week, but I've been pretty consistent and doing my two miles every day.

I bought some 15lb weights (probably pretty weak for some of you, but what can I say, I've never been much of an athlete and this is really my first purchase of this type of thing), and I borrowed a book about different excersizes to do with hand weights, I think I may have to alternate days for treadmilling and working with the weights because I'm thinking maybe the jogging isnt as effective with no other types of excersizes (??)

So it seems I have lost a little bit, but it fluctuates quite a bit, its been tough forcing myself onto the treadmill after work but I seem to be able to do it.

Btw; forum related question, is there a new thing where the "Edit" button goes away from previous posts after a set period of time? I noticed my posts from last week are now un-editable.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I've kinda fallen out... damned healthy food is expensive! I did good the first week, $40 bought me over a week worth of food. Yet I just spent $90 on food I think will only last me just as long at over twice the price?!

I'm back at normal original weight now...
    edited February 2007
    Camman wrote:
    ...My weight seems to fluctuate wildly...I weighed myself and I was 231 and I'm like alright sweet down 6 pounds from when I started, but then I weighed myself two days later and its like 235, what gives...
    Your body will do weird things like that while it's making the adjustment to your new lifestyle. Chances are that the wild fluctuations are due to water weight.

I weigh myself every morning, but don't get too hung up about it if I see a big jump here and there. Remember, it's the long-term trend that counts. :)
    RWB wrote:
    I've kinda fallen out... damned healthy food is expensive! I did good the first week, $40 bought me over a week worth of food. Yet I just spent $90 on food I think will only last me just as long at over twice the price?!

I'm back at normal original weight now...
    Healthy food is not expensive, unless you're buying free-range chicken and organic zucchini, etc. If you could eat on $40 one week you can do it again.

Ask yourself, how much does it cost overall to be a fatass? I have saved enough money in blood pressure medication over the past six months to pay for all my groceries from now until the end of May. Throw in what I've saved on doctor visits and I'm set until the middle of July. Add in what I've saved by getting hot chicks free instead of sticking twenty bucks a night in a g-string at some sleazy club and I'm golden for the next few years.

(OK, I made that last part up. :p )

My point is, when you look at the vastly improved quality of life you'll have when you're in shape (it's likely that you'll need fewer sick days, for one thing), you can't afford not to take care of yourself. You may not see all of the benefits immediately, but once you get to be my age you sure as heck will. My biggest regret is letting myself get so far out of shape that I wasted five years of my life being a miserable lardass. :(
    edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    Remember, it's the long-term trend that counts. :)

Well then I'm pointing in the right direction. When I started this whole thing I was 284. I'm now down to 271. That's 13 pounds sans much exercise. I'm still waiting for my damn stationary trainer to show up so I can start riding my bike for an hour a day. I figure once I get the cardio routine going, I'll start with weights, or start that SWAT routine full time to augment the riding. I may even start jogging again. Who knows.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Healthy food is expensive, when has it not? It doesn't get cheaper than ramen noodles and eggs, with a sandwich here and there. I mean I was spending like $30 before. I think the first time I started this diet they had deals on the more expensive stuff I buy.

If you can post what you buy, like for example Stouffer's Stir Fry or whatever, and how much you eat that could help me out.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Healthy food is not always expensive. A $25 investment in some seed packets and seedlings had me eating lots and lots of fresh veggies last summer and fall!