can someone reccommend antivirus?

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited March 2007 in Science & Tech
Hi all Im sorting and tidying a friends computer and their using AVG Free as their virus protection. is there something better we could be using instead? open to suggestions as long as its not Norton. its too much of a resource hog for their system...

Thanks in advance - S.N -

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I'm running Kaspersky, personally. I can't really rate it on the resource-hog scale... it does fine on my system (3200+, 1GB memory). Looks like it takes about 30MB of memory.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    If AVG is too much of a resource hog for their system, they're in for a world of hurt, as that's one of the most lightweight AV apps there is. My copy of AVG is using 4.6MB of RAM. 22 when scanning.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    If AVG is too much of a resource hog for their system, they're in for a world of hurt, as that's one of the most lightweight AV apps there is. My copy of AVG is using 4.6MB of RAM. 22 when scanning.

I think he ment Norton is to much of a memory hog.

I use AVG and it does the job for me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Kaspersky is what I use at work, AVG at home. I personally think Kaspersky is more effective, but I can't afford five copies for home use :D
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Prime hit it on the nose. AVGfree is pretty good, it has kept my wife's computer clean.
    Kaspersky is more powerful, but so is AVGpro, and they both cost money.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I like AVG clean at home.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited March 2007
    <small>Free virus protection for your home PC:</small>
    Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
    <table border="0" cellpadding="10" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> antivirclassic_screenshot.gif </td> <td> Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic reliably protects your private computer against dangerous viruses, worms, Trojans and costly dialers.

More than 15 million users worldwide trust in the reliable protection of Avira AntiVir. And this is no coincidence at all: Avira has gained several awards. The product combines first-class detection rates and ease of use with a top performance that protects your computer safely and hardly burdens older PCs.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Download now | User manual <small>(PDF)</small> | Help / Support
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited March 2007
    Trogan, I will give Avira a try. I have been using Avast Home for some time now and it seems to work good too.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited March 2007
    Let us know what you think. :)
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Avast here on three machines, works great and it's free for home use.
  • edited March 2007
    No votes for NOD32? I still use it and seems to do great, good support, daily or better virus updates. They used to be no. 1, still good?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    They're great. Just not free. ;D
  • edited March 2007
    Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic

Gets 2 thumbs up !!! I used it on a test machine and it was grabbing anything and everything I tried to download, AVG is another good free program

NOD32 usually ranks around the top but as stated just not free

Don't forget a firewall,,
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I had some weird problems with the last version of AVG free and Outlook. And I have now been running Avast free for several months with no complaints.
  • edited March 2007
    Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic I like this one too :cool2: