F@H -12,102 points for the day?

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited March 2007 in Folding@Home

Comments

• ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited March 2007
    I was wondering about that too

Im pretty new to this. Someone caught cheating?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    Count me in as being among the confused. :scratch:

The only thing I can figure is that maybe with DST coming three weeks early, there was a stats server glitch where some points got counted twice and later had to be removed. :confused:
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited March 2007
    I think you are not alone and there are some other funny, possibly related, things going on. I would keep my eye on this thread. You may even want to post for your team.

I have a suspicion as to what has happened- but I'll let Vijay respond to this.
    edited March 2007
    Oriane wrote:
    ...I would keep my eye on this thread. You may even want to post for your team...
    That was a worthy suggestion, but unfortunately the only responses thus far have been from clowns and jerks.

It would be nice if someone in authority at Stanford would weigh in. :rolleyes:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    It would be nice if someone in authority at Stanford would weigh in.
    Vijay Pande himself stated F@H is looking into this. I am optimistic the problem will be resolved. We aren't the only team affected.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    It would be nice if someone in authority at Stanford would weigh in. :rolleyes:
    Post #7 of that thread:
    I'm pretty sure I know what happened. We are looking into this.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHA Leo....great minds ;)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    but unfortunately the only responses thus far have been from clowns and jerks. :
    Had a look and seen what you mean. Added my comment, expressing my feelings in a moderate kind of way.
    edited March 2007
    Sledge's question came after that comment, so it's hard to view what Vijay wrote as applying to us.

The thread began as a question about point loss among non-affiliated contributors. I have not looked through all of the thousands of teams out there, but so far I have not found any other team affected in the way ours is. That is what I was hoping would be addressed.

It would also be nice to have something concrete to put an end to the snarky comments made in response to what Sledge posted. I'll bet that if any of you had posted that "I" had a negative point day (just replace Team 93 with your FAH username) and been accused of "cheating and releasing borg installers into the wilderness" you would be nearly as angry as I am.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2007
    I whole heartedly agree. Just had a look and v00d00's post,including yours & mine have been removed.
    7im made a comment, so i guess it may well have been him.

Still NOT happy about v00d00's comment.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited March 2007
    First off, this almost makes me sorry for suggesting posting there. I certainly did not intend for you to be bushwhacked and I honestly thought that the issues and timing involved might have been related.

But I also can’t think of a better place to try and get this issue heard. Perhaps I should have suggested a separate thread. At any rate, I will certainly apologize to you for the aggravation that resulted.

I see 7im has pretty well defused the thread and the project may well be looking into it now. I hope you hear something soon.
    edited March 2007
    Oriane, you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. :)

It was helpful to know that others had noticed the same problem, and, to be honest, I was not surprised at the reception. There is a group of people over there who think the worst of everyone, particularly when points are involved.

To try and be as fair to them as possible, I know that a lot of people are in it purely for the points and it must get tiresome to deal with that attitude every day.

To be fair to the rest of us, though, the fact that some people are attracted solely to the competition aspect of the project does not mean that everyone is. It would do that crowd good to try and keep that in mind.

I am trying to see which individuals on our team may have been affected by the point deduction. If any of you reading this thread think you may be one of them, please have a look over in this thread. :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    The point system is supposed to be a good indication of what's going on and can be helpful in alerting us when a problem exists ...granted that is not it's sole purpose. Apparantly something went wrong somewhere on 3-14 so the points system did what it's supposed to do.
    Thanks for inquiring for us sledge and prof. I'm sure we'll find something out sooner or later.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    They can't have their cake and eat it too. If they offer points at all, they need to make sure the system is solid and fair, and embrace people who are in it for the points.

Hopefully the points correction will be explained well. But seriously, an explanation should have been ready before any correction was made, unless this was some kind of glitch.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    They can't have their cake and eat it too. If they offer points at all, they need to make sure the system is solid and fair, and embrace people who are in it for the points.
    They - the real project managers, researchers, scientists, and automation logistics wizards - really do understand the importance of points. They really do. Folding@Home is their baby, and that baby is careers and huge potential for human science. "They" will do anything in their power to maintain a large, content user base - us. Don't confuse some of those very vocal and sometimes indelicate voices at the Folding Community Forums with the Folding researchers and scientists. Although they cooperate, it's two distinct groups.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Right, but it's something that the folks at the Folding Community Forums should understand if they really want to help out the project.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2007
    just checked seems my post in support of profdlp got 7immed too :confused:
    edited March 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    just checked seems my post in support of profdlp got 7immed too :confused:
    I saw it before they "tidied up".

It was greatly appreciated. :)
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2007
    No problems I may be the folding tourist here but I am still a team mate, and I don't likes folk having a go at my team mates.:eek: