Dead CRT - Disposal?

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited March 2007 in Hardware
Well, my lovely secondary monitor couldn't take it anymore and pooped out. Now I'm left with only one monitor and already I'm scouring the web for multi-desktop programs (seriously, once you go dual you can't go back.)

I'm now stuck with a dead CRT, and I'm not sure what I need to do to dispose of it. Are there regulations? Some place I can call? Even better, some place I could donate it to for spare parts?

Or, can I just stick it out by the trash? Thanks guys/gals!

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Well, around here you can't just put a crt in the trash because the capacitors could start a fire in the truck. But if you take it to the dump they are glad to dispose of it.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Actually, federal law prohibits dumping the Monitors anywhere due the Lead, Mercury, and radiation hazards. You're supposed to take them to an authorized disposal center (Perhaps airbornflght's local dump has one of these on site?). You could search for one in your local area.

Personally, I find getting rid of a CRT to be enough of a hassle that I never have... They're all still sitting around here somewhere :D
  • edited March 2007
    They're pretty strict around here when it comes to throwing away CRTs. I just take them to the designated dump off point once I amass too many of them to fit in my basement anymore.