Cannot connect to broadband router

davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
edited March 2007 in Science & Tech
Hi,

I am using Windows XP and I am using a SOHO router to share my cable internet between 2 computers. Today I tried to upgrade the software for my router by typing in the command prompt "tftp 192.168.1.1 get upgrade" from this point on my router stopped working. Also, now when I try to access my router by typing in 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer I get page not found. Before I tried to upgrade the router I was able to access the router no problems.

I checked to make sure that the router's IP address is still 192.168.1.1 by typing in ipconfig /all in the command prompt and my default gateway is 192.168.1.1 which I think is the router's IP address.

I would very much appreciate if anyone could help me.

Thank you

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited March 2007
    I believe your command should have looked like this:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT upgradeimage.bin

You don't use "get" because you're not getting anything from the router but rather PUTTING something to it. The "-i" means use binary mode. If you don't the firmware will be corrupt by the time it gets to the router.

Why not use the browser upgrade utility? It's much easier in most cases.

Try unplugging the router for a minute then plugging it back in. If there's a reset button also try that.
  • davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
    edited March 2007
    I have tried unplugging the router and plugging it back it many times, I have also tried the reset button that is on the router, both these actions seem to have no effect. I also tried typing in what you suggested (tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT upgradeimage.bin) but I get a message saying “tftp: can’t read frtom local file ‘upgradeimage.bin’".

I'm not sure if this helps but the instructions given in the router's manual for upgrading the software is as follows:

1. Ensure that igate28.bin is located in your current working directory.

2. At DOS prompt, type "tftp <the SOHO router's IP address> get upgrade".

3. Type "tftp -i <the SOHO router's IP address> put igate28.bin"

4. Wait or the transfer successful message.

5. The upgrade is now completed.

After my router stopped working, I tried typing in "tftp -i <the SOHO router's IP address> put igate28.bin" but I get a message saying: "tftp: can't read from local file 'igate28.bin'"

I think it might be that I am now missing the igate28.bin file, I have found a website where I could download it but I don't know where the file is meant to be placed.

Do you think that this could be the problem?
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    davidlyhua wrote:
    I think it might be that I am now missing the igate28.bin file, I have found a website where I could download it but I don't know where the file is meant to be placed.

Do you think that this could be the problem?

I don't know what brand of router this is, but the router doesn't care where you put the firmware. As long as you can find it yourself and direct the router to it when you upgrade, that's all that matters.
    davidlyhua wrote:
    I checked to make sure that the router's IP address is still 192.168.1.1 by typing in ipconfig /all in the command prompt and my default gateway is 192.168.1.1 which I think is the router's IP address.

You might be looking at old information. That gateway might be left over from your last DHCP lease. If you do a realease/renew (also known as the repair button in XP), do you still see that address for the gateway? If your firmware is corrupted I doubt you can do a successful release/renew.

Also, if you reset the router to factory settings it might now have a different IP that will show when you do a release/renew.
    Park_7677 wrote:
    Why not use the browser upgrade utility? It's much easier in most cases.

I agree. No command line mistakes. It might be too late but if you can release/renew and get into the html interface of the router, there is usualy a place there to upgrade the firmware. Navigate to where ever you parked the firmware file and sit back and watch.

Oh, and what exactly is this router?
  • davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
    edited March 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    I don't know what brand of router this is, but the router doesn't care where you put the firmware. As long as you can find it yourself and direct the router to it when you upgrade, that's all that matters.

Hi, I managed to get the router up and running again thanks to your help. I managed to upgrade the firmware using the technique you described above. After that I was able to access the router through the web browser and then all I had to do was turn off the cable modem and turn it back on and now everything works fine.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it, I was stressing so much thinking that I had destroyed my router, lol. Thanks again for your help, your a good man.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    davidlyhua wrote:
    your a good man.

I appreciate the pat on the back....there are those who might vote the other way on that referendum though.

Glad you got it back!