Hard drives

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Thinking of getting a new Sata 3.0 Hard drive wondered what brand most of u use and why since it been a LONG time since i got a new HD

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Western Digial and Seagate, but Western Digial is my prefered harddrive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Seagate/WD.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    WD mostly.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Try the 500 Gb Samsung HD501LJ Spinpoint T.

The review is also good.

All the best
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Seagate, 5 yr war. did it for me.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2007
    WD and seagate.

WD in the workstations, Seagate in the servers.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung, WD, Toshiba, Maxtor

in order of preference (and yes, I run all those brands)
  • edited April 2007
    Seagate, Western Digital for 3.5" drives

Seagate, Hitachi for 2.5" drives

Gotta love that 5 year warantee that comes with all Seagate drives. :D
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2007
    More aggreeing opinions ~ WD/Seagate

I would choose price before brand between these two. I would consider Maxtor, but at the same price nada, and even slightly less, nada.

I *think* in my experience WDs are slightly quieter when seeking than Seagate, but then again I've also gotten a consistant higher tone wine at idle from a 320gb WD I have, so... I'm quite torn between the two. Since WD is the smaller company, with the fine raptor, I generally would choose them, but then again Seagate had the mammoth sized drives, and "NS" Enterprise Drives at that nice 750gb size. Seagate also has a factory here about 9 minutes from home, not that you would care, but it gets me thinking. Toughy.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited April 2007
    Seagate-- Great warranty ---I have a 7200.7 in my socket A computer-dosent make any noise -- and a 7200.9 in my 939 computer-I can hear it seeking sometimes.
    I plan on sticking with seagate but I see western digital as a close second.---Maxtor--I have read to many posts about them failing to trust them even though seagate owns them now.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I am truly a fan of WD HHDs, but I would Snag on a good 7200.10 seagate deal as well.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    So you guys keep mentioning the Seagate warranty, do they just give you a new drive or do they go further?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    do they just give you a new drive or do they go further
    New drive. The superiority of Seagate's warranty is that retail hard drives are fully backed by Seagate for five years - yes, FIVE, not one year like the competition. Gotta be careful though: the OEM drives are warranteed only for the industry standard of one year.
  • edited April 2007
    Seagate = 5 year warranty