Radeon X850 Pro making weird noises.

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Two days ago my Radeon X850 started making weird noises. The only moving parts in the card is the fan. It's working just fine. No clicking noises, just louder then normal and makes a weird chirping noise.

Just to make sure it was the I took out all other hardware and used the integrated card and everything else is nice and quiet except for the fans of course.

The noise is irritating, and I can't see a problem with the fan.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    The fan is dying.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Here comes one of my favorite postings -- fan rehabilitation! Yay

You might be able to extend the fan's life by lubricating it. If there's a label on the spindle (the round hub at the center of the blades) pull it back and see if there is a pinhole. If there is, put in a drop of 3-in-1 or light machine oil. Manually rotate the fan for a couple hundred revolutions before reinstalling the card to avoid excess oil being thrown on computer components. I've got some ancient 40mm fans running that originally came from Abit KT7 motherboards. Those little Abit 40mm fans were notorious for early failure, but I've kept them running through re-lubricating them.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to purchase an aftermarket video card cooler.
  • edited May 2007
    A friend of mine is sending me an after market fan. As the stock went dead on me a few hours later of troubleshooting. It started off quiet as normal then it just stopped. But the card still works :D.
    edited May 2007
    (thread is reopened - serves little purpose being closed)
  • edited May 2007
    Guess your right, turns out the best thing to do when first hearing any noise coming from your card it is going to be your fan as there are no other moving parts. Check for dust, blow it out with compressed air, if you don't have compressed air you can blow it out with your mouth like a Nintendo cartridge.

I thing the ball barrings (I think that is what it is called) were destroyed do to the fan being used all the time. I do rendering for extended periods of time. This is what I believe the cause is for my card. I would recommend using an after market card with a larger fan on any graphics card to keep it cooler.

I will be using the ATITool to see how cool the card runs after I receive the new card. I would like to thank all of you for the help, it really helped me get through this problem.
    edited May 2007
    I thing the ball barrings (I think that is what it is called) were destroyed do to the fan being used all the time.
    Some cooling fans have ball bearings and others have sleeve bearings. Your card's fan probably had sleeve bearings, but that's not really the point here. Some fans just fail earlier than others. Sometimes they aren't lubricated properly during assembly line production and they just burn out early do to friction.

If you haven't already done so, replace the thermal interface material ("grease" or "paste") on your card's GPU chip when you replace the fan. I don't know if you are replacing the heatsink as well. Remove all the old factory silicon past and apply something high quality like Zalman's or Arctic Silver. On CPUs, northbridges, and video card GPUs, the factory applied grease is the cheapest they can find.