Please Help Before I Smash my computer into a million pieces.

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Ok, now for the second damn time, since the first time around the stupid machine screwed up....

Nothing was wrong with my computer.
NOTHING.

But out of the blue, an hour ago, it silently switched itself off and then back on again, but does Windows boot??? NOooooooooooooooOOOooooOOOOoo....

It gives me this STUPID error message.

"""Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem."""

So I go to one of the pages on this website, yes, THIS website, and of course, I'm not allowed to post a link to the page, despite it being on THIS website, so *frustrated sigh* This is what caused the original issue with my long extended and much nicer post that I had written. I tried to post three times, it wouldn't let me because there was a link, when it wasn't being as a link. ANYWAY.

That page says to load Windows CD and fix it from there.

Only one problem. I insert the CD (which worked fine 2 months ago when I installed Windows XP) and get THIS error message....

""An unexpected error (173290831) occurred at line 1768 in (a d drive location I can't post because its reading as a stupid link when its NOT)
Press any key to continue""

So now, hard drive is erroring on Windows, CD Drive is erroring on the install disk.... This actual forum just completely screwed up after I spent 10 minutes typing my original message, and I am frustrated as anything and just wish I had a big fat bald man or Bill Gates to kick in the privates. Can someone PLEASE help me!!!!!!!

Me without my computer is like a fish without water!

I am getting so angry at all this! Angry and depressed and I want to scream and cry! Please help!

Also, what could have caused this problem? A virus? Or what, I just think its really shonky that it did this so out of the blue when up until this very moment it has worked fine.

It won't even let me load my Knoppix Linux CD which runs off the disk, but also up until now, there hasn't been a single problem with running Knoppix off the cd, I think it all has to do with this sudden and major Windows screw up! PLEASE help!!!!!

Comments

• RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    the reason why you cant post links on the forum is because you havent posted enough as a regular member. think its a protection feature against spammers.

anyway, if the computer was left on with the internet without any firewalls it could be a virus, however this sounds more like a RAM problem. try running memtest by creating a bootable CD image from http://memtest86.com/ and checking if there are any errors.. hope this helps
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Eh, why no links. I've never heard of that.

Turn the computer off. Work on it again tomorrow when you are calmed down.
  • edited May 2007
    Well, my computer has the SP2 Firewall, as well as virus software and malware software. I use AVG Free Edition and also Spybot Search and Destroy, and both of these are updated as often as they can be...

Right now I am running the MemTest boot disk thing on my computer, and its doing something... I don't know what.... lots of numbers and things... and a ginormous error number that keeps getting biiiiiiiiiiiiigger and bigger.

I have no idea what is going on with it, but its making me go "oh my God!!!!!" and squeal horribly everytime the number of 'errors' goes higher!!!

*sob* I don't know how to fix it!!!!!
    edited May 2007
    ah that is an omnious sign indeed meaning that your RAM modules are most likely faulty. if you are using 2 sticks of RAM, try running memtest86 again using only a single stick of RAM to try to rule out which is faulty. if you only use one stick(or both sticks return errors when run individually), try swapping it out with a known working RAM and repeating the test.

a good resource into further understanding memtest86 if youre interested
    http://forum.x86-secret.com/showthread.php?t=2807
  • edited May 2007
    Ok, so yesterday, I said I was running Memtest...

I haven't touched ANYTHING, but the test is STILL going. It's like, 29 hours later and the test is still going.

Which I can only attribute to something extremely nasty.

How is it possible though that out of the blue, the memory could just go AWOL? One of the sticks is practically brand new, I've had it for only a month or so....

The weird thing though is that I tried to use my Knoppix Linux disk, which runs from the CD, and while the original hard drive is powered up, Knoppix won't work, BUT, if I plug in a different hard drive as the master, it will work.

:o/

I've never had ANY kind of problem like this before, but I've only had the computer since February... I got it from a computer store that sells refurbished computers and just after their stupid 30 day warranty ran out, I had major problems with the thing and had to completely reformat the HDD and wipe it. So, more recently, it wasn't fast enough, so I got a new stick of RAM and everything worked fine, NO problems at all since I wiped the drive, but now, suddenly, there is this problem!

I can tell you right now, I am never in my life buying anything from that store again. Refurbished computer my bum. I could probably have put a better one together MYSELF....

And I don't know HOW!!!!!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    How is it possible though that out of the blue, the memory could just go AWOL?

Dude... it's an electronic piece of hardware, it doesn't matter if it's 2 hours old, it doesn't matter if someone tested it... **** happens and it usually happens when you need it to not happen the most.

But it seems to me your memory, or something to do with that memory has gone bad; like the motherboard possibly. I would try testing the memory out in another machine to see if it has the same trouble, or perhaps if you have it overclocked, try setting everything to default values and try again.
    edited May 2007
    memtest86 is supposed to run as a loop continuously; it wont stop till you tell it to.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Yes, manually stop memtest and re-run it on each stick. You might also try moving the memory over to the next slot. Over the years I have has a couple of sticks go south on me, and I have also had a mobo memory controller fail.
  • edited June 2007
    Ok, so yesterday, I said I was running Memtest...

I haven't touched ANYTHING, but the test is STILL going. It's like, 29 hours later and the test is still going.

Which I can only attribute to something extremely nasty.

How is it possible though that out of the blue, the memory could just go AWOL? One of the sticks is practically brand new, I've had it for only a month or so....

I'm sorry, but as a military guy I have to correct your usage of "AWOL" here. The term stands for "away without leave" which is when a soldier leaves for an extended period of time without telling anybody, or if they go on leave and stay past the date they specified without extending. Memory going bad would be closer to someone being shot and paralyzed. You don't mean for it to happen, and you don't want it to happen, but when it does it ruins your day. (Again, I apologize, but it irks me when people use terms improperly. "Over and out" is another one that really gets to me. "Over" means "end transmission, please reply" while "out" means "end transmission, no reply needed" so it's impossible to have both, it's either one or the other.)

Anyway, as specified before, the test is designed to run endlessly until you tell it to stop. But as long as the screen doesn't display any errors during this time, your memory's good.
    The weird thing though is that I tried to use my Knoppix Linux disk, which runs from the CD, and while the original hard drive is powered up, Knoppix won't work, BUT, if I plug in a different hard drive as the master, it will work.

That right there leads me to believe your hard drive could be toast. If you put another drive in as the master and leave this one connected, can you still read information from it?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Wonder if his PSU's putting out dirty power...