I started on Mandrake.
Then Redhat.
Slackware
Gentoo

currently messing around with FreeBSD and OpenBSD. :D

Comments

• trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    Yes, freebsd would be my all time favorite, ive used gentoo (most recent) but started with redhat and mandrake. Ive also used debian some and slackware. I really dont like linux that much. Freebsd is where its @ for me, does everything i need it to, on pretty much any hardware i can muster.
  • edited June 2003
    I started with RedHat but ran into dependency problems everytime I tried to compile things so switched to Slackware. Newbie at it all.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I have use Mandrake for about 5 hours on my laptop.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    RedHat & Mandrake on my own comp, messed around for a while but never got into it or used regularly. Also Debian on 2 other systems but I don't admin them or anything. Is it really worth it if you're not running a server?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I've used

RedHat
    Mandrake
    Slackware
    Debain

I never really got into linux myself, but one day I will sit down and actually try to learn it. Something I've always wanted to do, just to lazy to put any effort into it.
  • edited June 2003
    I'm actually still in the process of learning linux. I've been running Mandrake 9.0 for a while. Shorty actually helped me get the damn thing running a while back.
  • kr4zkr4z Newfoundland, Canada
    edited June 2003
    I've used (in this order):

Slackware
    Debian
    Linux from scratch
    Gentoo
    Red Hat (briefly.. like 2 days)
    Slackware

I've pretty much decided on sticking with slackware now.. For some reason the only time I ever had X installed was when i had Red Hat for 2 days. I only use linux on my server.
  • ness_25ness_25 Boone, NC
    edited June 2003
    Mandrake
    Red Hat

I recently downloaded the newest version of Knoppix just so it would be handy. What does it use, Debian correct?
  • trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    Yes, Knoppix is debian based... it sure is one useful linux distro!
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I might try and download RedHat sometime
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Storm - Redhat 3 - Mandrake 7 - Slackware 8.1 - Knoppix - Slackware 9.

lol at Redhat 3.

NS
  • WarriorWarrior Scotland
    edited June 2003
    I started with Coral Linux, then RH 7.3 for a while. Moved over to SuSE 8.0 Pro last year and never looked back. Running 8.1 right now with KDE 3.1 looks cool.

Installed RH 9 last week and hated it. Butchered KDE, the updates are now via a demo account or you can pay for the Network package for priority updates etc. I never filled in the monthly questionaire so they deleted my account - Back to good-ol SuSE.
  • edited June 2003
    interesting information you gave Warrior. I was thinking about redhat but i'm one of those people that forget to do those small things. I'm running Mandrake 9.0 right now and I'm loving the new kde
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited June 2003
    Redhat 9
    Mandrake 9
    Slackware 9
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    you all should use God's distro, Red Hat!!! OK, just kidding, but that's the one I hear Linus uses. Shocked the hell out of me. I love reading any story about *BSD on slashdot, someone always breaks out the "It's official, Netcraft confirms *BSD is dying" story and no matter how many times I've seen that, I always crack up seeing it. what's even funnier is the peeps that reply "no, bsd is gonna live damn you!!" too funny. anyhow, I've used freebsd, cladera, slack, rh, mandrake, turbo, others... i always end u back on rh, but I've been dying to try gentoo.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    SuSE 7.3 Pro and Personal, very good OS, I used KDE as desktop.

Craig
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Personally I hate Red Hat and Mandrake, they just seem to, Windowsafied. Where as slackware doesnt feel like Windows. (not just refering to KDE and X-Windows)

NS
  • edited June 2003
    I use Slackware on my web server. I've tried Redhat, MDK, Slackware, and Gentoo. I was going to dual boot XP & Gentoo but it took too damn long to compile everything, especially KDE, so I called it quits.

I'd like to go back to the dual-boot thing soon. Since I've had good success with Slackware, and I'm familiar with its install routine, I'll probably go that route.
  • edited June 2003
    JAMD is pretty easy for a Noob and it is 100% Red Hat Compatible but comes with apt-get 4 rpm installed.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've just used RedHat (7.3, 8.0, 9.0), Slackware 8.0, Mandrake 8.0 (I think) and freebsd. Used linux a bit as a workstation and didn't like it at all, I'll be sticking to windows for my workstation(s) and freebsd for my server(s) from now on most likely.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    I love linux desktops with a passion.

Right now, I'm toying with redhat 9 on one of my servers... from my 8.0 desktop :)
    I can barely notice the delay right now, as I'm browing icrontic. Only thing that stands out is the loading time when you first call a program, untill the time it displays. Doesn't even peak my home cable line though.

It takes me hours usually to completely transform a RH install to something I like using. If RH seems to windowish or noobish, then your just not looking deep enough.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Suse
    RedHat
    Slackware
    Corel :rolleyes:
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    Mandrake
    RedHat
    Lycoris (bleh)
    Lindows