Server Conversion

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Right, here is the prediciment........

The server will need to be doing the following -

Webserver (Apache and PHP)
FTP Server
Possibly various game serving
Shoutcast (Shout or Ice (ice is Linux only))
File Server (for LAN)
DHCP Server
DNS Server (LAN)
Mail Server
MySQL Server

Now, the problem is currently I am using Kerio Mail Server, which supprisingly wont work in Linux, and I have lots of settings and mail archives, which really is the only thing currently stopping me from converting now.

What mail server software would be best to use? (Needs to be able to handle multiple domains, and have Webmail facilities (see http://atomnet.co.uk:81 to see what I mean) and to also have some type of Anti-Spam agent as Kerio currently uses Spam Assassin).

Secondly I need complete remote control over the machine as the only things plugged into it are going to be the Power cable and a network cable (exception to this is during setup, obviously).

and Thirdly, will there be any inprovement in speed over Windows (2000 AS) with all these functions? Or should I just stick with W2k AS?

Cheers all,
NS

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Need a responce -now- as the server is now the new machine and dont want any of my mail bouncing......
    Also, can I access NTFS drives in Linux?

NS
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    you can certainly access ntfs partitions from linux, if not by default, then (for instance in RH 8) you'll just have to compile the module in your kernel, but i'm almost certain it's read only.
    edited June 2003
    Would there actually be any performance difference between W2k and Slackware doing these operations?

NS
    edited June 2003
    Well this is good......

Firstly it doesnt detect my network card.
    Secondly X- just turns the screen brown and thats it, I cant do anything.

So I am stuck at the prompt with no network and no X-Windowing system....... I really do need some speedy help here.

NS
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    hmmm, have you used linux at all before? I'd recommend using an easier distro like red hat or mandrake, jumping in to slackware with no unix experience at all, i don't know... as far as speed difference, it depends on the hardware. on older hardware, linux would be faster, but on current hardware there might not be any difference, especially if the site won't be that busy.
    edited June 2003
    May as well stick with W2k AS then.

Cheers anyway,
    NS
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Man, Give Redhat a shot. Good hardware detection and administration tools. Slackware is becomming the bastard child, it would probably be the very bottom of my recomendation list.

For mail, Courier MTA is a excellent package. Also, it will build RPM's out of the tarball with one command. I beileve they are introducing a spam package, but I just use the BOFH filters and blackhole relays and IP blocks I dont like.

You can read NTFS, don't try to write to it unless you like scrammbled eggs.

"DHCP Server"
    personally, I statically define all my IP's. I stoped using that some time ago, do you really NEED it?

Pretty much everything here would run better on linux. Expecially the web hosting end of it. And once you get the hang of it, administration from the command line is MUCH nicer and effiecient.

If your really stuck, get with me one day, and I will try to help. If you can get a Redhat (for what your doing, I would recommend 7.3) system online, I can shell to it and we can share a screen session so you can see how its done. I can't promise to be your personal admin, but I wil offer to get you rolling.
    edited June 2003
    Do need DHCP because I am constantly hopping networks on some machines, so its the CBA factor.

Also had another thing swing me in favor of W2k, there isnt a MOD player as good as Deliplayer available for Linux, which is a major downer.

Ill look into linux in the future, but not just now.

Cheers anyway,
    NS
  • trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    Make sure to never WRITE to a nfts partition under linux, you could trash it, mount them read only to be safe.
    edited June 2003
    Yeah I heard. Anyone scrapped Linux and went back to W2kAS, need Deliplayer anyway.

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    I couldnt get linux to install on my compaq server when all 4 CPUs were installed, so I sacrificed 2 CPUs to run linux. Worth it tho.

mD
    edited June 2003
    That doesnt really make any sence, I thought one of the ideas on Linux was scalability, 4 CPU's should work on the right distro, and I wouldnt lose 2 CPU's from a machine.....

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The box came as a dual rig, but i picked up an extra 2 identical
    CPUs at a computer fair a while back for somethin stupid like a quid, install them, had the VRMs with the machine, then i realised id need a 4 way compatible kernel instead of the standard SMP kernel so i decided to leave it cos i dont want to screw it up.

mD