Lego case?

edited July 2003 in Hardware
Iv been thinking of taking lego's and building a case for my old computer. Has anyone seen anything like this before because I need a blue print to fallow?

Comments

• JPPJPP Stuttgart Germany
    edited June 2003
    The german "Chip" Magazine showed results of a case modding contest. There was a Lego case in the competition. The picture is in the magazin I could not find it on the chip.de page. Sorry about that.
    JPP
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    that would be really cool. It shouldnt be that hard to construct. the only thing i could think of is some of the size precision required for cd-rom drives, floppy drives, hd's, etc . . .
  • edited June 2003
    my mom and dad got me like a billion legos when I was 5 so I was thinking I could make a case out of them, but im thinking that the lego's by the cpu and PSU may melt.
  • edited June 2003
    I have seen a few lego cases, I doubt anything would melt with some half decent air flow.

Here is the only one I could remember off the top of my head http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/legobox/
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    That lego case isnt really a lego case, its more like a lego box with everything sort of piled inside, apart from the CD-ROM drive at the bottom, its not really very creative.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    well i have a full size mother board to work with so mine is going to end up looking like a case not a box.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Its made of lego though and that is what he wants to do, Im not intrigued, im gonan rob my little brother of his lego and have some fun later.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by CCW
    Its made of lego though and that is what he wants to do, Im not intrigued, im gonan rob my little brother of his lego and have some fun later.

Craig
    ha rob just take it till he forgets about it.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by matt
    im thinking that the lego's by the cpu and PSU may melt.

Shouldnt thing so, things shouldnt get that hot. If it does end up a bit warm, U could use one of the Lego Technics motors to make a lego fan! Result....
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited June 2003
    No blueprint.

Just this-

I don't think the SITE will help you, though.

LIN
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited June 2003
    Further search has yielded this - complete with video!

http://www.lanaddict.com/review.php?ID=33

LIN
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by matt

ha rob just take it till he forgets about it.

hah! Im voting you as Icrontics resident spam artist!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    And completely off topic statements like that dont help either.

Im tempted to try and build a lego case, but Im not exactly a design man, so Ill just speed weeks rebuilding the damn thing because I cant get any of the dimentions correct. Though I do have enough lego (a whole long chest full of it).

NS
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I have seen one or two really good lego cases. This one guy made a lego castle. Then he painted it. It had a roof and everything. It was really cool. The CD-rom drive was behind the castle door.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Dont plastic cases have bad properties in regards to static?

mD
  • KilJaedenKilJaeden USA
    edited June 2003
    I believe so. How would you effectively ground a plastic case anyway?
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    You could probably make some type of grounding wire that runs around the case and connects to the PSU. Then just connect everything to that wire.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The acrylic/perspex cases look so cool. Been thinking of making one on the laser cutter, but i'd be too scared to put any hardware in it :(

mD
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by KilJaeden
    I have seen one or two really good lego cases. This one guy made a lego castle. Then he painted it. It had a roof and everything. It was really cool. The CD-rom drive was behind the castle door.
    Yeah, that was formerly posted on Icrontic. I can't remember who did it to save my life though. Did a very nice and detailed paint job to make it look like real stone on the towers, etc. but as I recall a tip that came out of it was to be sure to use two coats of paint if you're going to do that. You might rough up the outside with sandpaper first also.

I don't remember the static issue being mentioned.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited June 2003
    You could use a normal PC case Motherboard plate to attach the Mobo to, and then attach that to the lego case, this should stop the static issue shouldnt it? As long as nothing touches the lago, then the static shouldnt come into play.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    In any plastic case, I reckon a metal plate to mount tho mobo on is a must. Then a grounding wire should be run to the CD drives and HDDs, just attaching to the casings of the drives. Then this wire, and the mobo plate would need to be attached to the casing of the PSU. This should solve the static issue.

The other problem with plastic casing is lack of sheilding from radio waves and magnetic feilds. Not much you can do about that tho.

mD
  • OldDogOldDog Whittier,Ca.
    edited June 2003
    If you're really concerned about noise/interference you can line the inside of your case with foil for shielding. Afterall most shielded cables use foil for shielding, just don't forget the drain wire to ground!
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    That would work a treat with lego, anyone got any sheilding ideas for perspex/acrylic cases?

mD
  • trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    I dont think sheilding is that important. Unless your under wierd condions.
    edited June 2003
    trippin is right, but if you're operating in a transformer room or
    under a broadcasting antenna yuo can but shielded cables with
    drain wires built in, they're starting to show up at all the web
    stores. Your drives all have metal cases and dont need any more
    shielding than that
  • edited July 2003
    the foil idea is working so far it going to take like 3-4 months before im done with this mod. ill post pictures when im done.
    if i was to use a wire as back up what would i conect the wire to.
    edit: i need all the safty i can get so my house dosnt burn down and so i dont get zaped with 20,000 watts.
    edited July 2003
    The frame of the power supply should be the best ground you
    have because the ground conductor from the incoming power
    attaches to it. Any screw that contacts the metal part of the case should work fine.
  • edited July 2003
    thanks
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited July 2003
    http://members.cox.net/richw/lego.htm

hehe this one took some time
  • edited July 2003
    Actually, the only other problem would be heat trapping in bubbles in any low flow area-- metal can cunduct heat out through itself well. With plastic or acrylic I would want side, top, front and back active air venting (fans all around). CyberGuys has some decent heavy plastic cases that can be vented. rubber furniture feet on bottom of case would be one way to reduce static risk also. I would run a safety ground wire from any place I would put a stud (brass)normally to ground on Power Supply-- return lines (black) should also be safety ground bonded(IE excessive feedback will cause a dump to ground) for safety in any good PSU. But, an ATX motherboard is grounded anyways, the green wire in the ATX power connector(the main big one) for mobo power is a ground according to the pinouts I have.

John Danielson.