Monitor trouble, need help :'( :'(

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I got an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 413 around a year ago and the monitor was really great untill something must have happened to it. Its really sensitive so if u touch it or if the sounds too loud the screen vibrates but now all the colors go screewy whenever I turn it on and I have to degauss it like 20 times before it's corrected. Now its gotten totaly messed up, the colors in the bottom right are all totally yellow :( The problem is I don't have the reciet left so no warranty. The monitor cost me 500 euros when I bought it and now its screwed :( any help would be appriciated :) thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited June 2003
    this is a pic of when the picture is relatively good compared to sometimes...
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited June 2003
    I think the problem lays inside the screen. If you have really advanced knowledge in electronics, you could always repair it yourself but if not, then don't, a screen can give a really nice spike haicut if not manipulated correctly.
    You should bring it in a repair shop.
  • edited June 2003
    yeah I think I'm gonna call Iiyama Sweden today and ask them how much they would repair it for since I don't have warranty. The bad part is that its a 3hr drive down there and this is the only monitor I've got at the moment :(
  • edited June 2003
    speakers can cause it to screw up? cause I got 2 speakers sitting next to the monitor and do u think the webcam might cause something cause i got one sittin on top of it. Any sugestions about other stuff that can screw up monitors? thanks for the help, I'll get back to u about the speakers and see if moving them helps.
  • edited June 2003
    I removed the speakers but theres still some green shit at the bottom right of the screen, how long would it take for the monitor to get back to normal again after removing all possible stuff that might be screwing it up? And would my cordless mouse be doin anything to it? thanks again for any help :)
  • R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
    edited June 2003
    anything with a magnet in it would screew it up (such as a speaker). I don't really think a cordless mouse would have one though. Just look around your desk.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    With my old Sony monitor, smacking it seems to fix the problem.

I recomend you get that fixed though..

mD
  • edited June 2003
    I think its a bit better now but how long should it take after I remove my speakers for it to get good again?
  • edited June 2003
    I moved some shit in my desk there was some magnets n stuff from some portable chess game and I stuck the speakers back but moved them a lot and the situation is way better now, tiny bit of green stuff left but I'm guessing it'll go away soon. Thanks a shit load guys u saved me from sending my only display for repair for a few months and then there wasnt even anything wrong with it :) well I'm off to enjoy my nice new monitor ;)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    try degaussing it, do it several times if necessary...
  • edited June 2003
    Getting your monitor professionally degaussed works a lot better than the little crappy degausser in your monitor...but it also costs.

The reason that magnets screw things up in monitors (not that you care or anything) is that the electron gun shoots electrons and an electromagnet adjusts its power level to bend the electron so that it hits the right set of colors (to make up a single pixel, and then the process gets repeated a lot, very fast) and the right pixel. Magnets throw off this electromagnetic exactness and cause the monitor to 'misfire' and hit the incorrect color or perhaps not hit at all.
    Enough with the science lesson....
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by R4CK3R
    anything with a magnet in it would screew it up (such as a speaker). I don't really think a cordless mouse would have one though. Just look around your desk.
    The battery inside of it would act as one though...cause batteries tend to work like that (the metal rod inside of them tends to be magnetic)
  • edited June 2003
    man the green shit is still at the bottom right of the monitor, once i get it away will it still keep coming back and keep effecting it? or will it not permenantly damadge my monitor?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If degause doesnt fix it, get a magnet yourself and wave it around the screen on that area, you may be able to manually correct it as I did that to an old TV, just keep prodding it with the magnet intill the colours change the right colour. Just dont put it anywhere else on the screen otherwise you will have to try and get that back too.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    It will still be there, but no 'new damage' can/will be done. Its not really damage even, its just like having tires out of alignment in a car (like really out of alignment so that the car is pulling or you have to turn the wheel to go straight)
    Just get the shit away and slap it a few times (actually does help, but dont give it a pussy slap nor a burly slap...just enough to where you see some results :P), run the degausser in the montiors OSD as many times as you can stand.
    The monitor isnt permanently damaged if thats what you are wondering, its just somewhat fucked for the moment. Not that time will change this though...
    Professional Degauss is the key, it doesnt cost much either. I dont know where to do it...maybe a TV Repair Shop.
  • edited June 2003
    man still hasnt fixed, I dont think its got to do with magnets around the monitor but something inside of it. I tried turning the monitor upside down and the picture was perfect and wen turned sideways the pic got all purple :S, dunno what to do... guess I'll have to live with it :P
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Not really, you answered your own question.

Turn the monitor upside down, attach desk upside down to celing, attach chair midified with harness to celing, place upside down computer on upside down desk.

Problem solved :D

mD
  • edited June 2003
    nah I meant wen the screen is facing up, so that would be a bit hard to use the monitor like that :P