netgear router

n3on3o
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
i just bought a netgear router (model: RP114) to replace my old accton router that suddently died. however, i cant get it to connect to the internet. all my configurations and settings seem to be correct as i've previously set up the accton router without a glitch. the status of the WAN port shows IP address: 0.0.0.0 which means no connection at all.

im using PPPoE to connect to aDSL. any help is appreciated. thanks.

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=93&view=

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Can you log into the router via ie? I know on my SMC router, I had to log into the router to get my dns information for my computers to work. There should be a default ip in the manual to type in to get into the settings.
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited June 2003

http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/doc/ispguide.htm
    I would check to see if your ISP is listed there and follow the link.
  • edited June 2003
    Also, double check that your username and password are correctly entered in the router.
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    yup, username and password is correct. the router just won't want to communicate with the modem. as if, it doesn't know it's there. however, the link LEDs shows that its connected. im so confused.
  • phoenixphoenix Kingston upon Thames, UK
    edited June 2003
    Hi

Do you need to register the WAN MAC address of the router with your ISP? Do you need to enter a Domain & System Name in the router for your ISP details? Have you tried powering-off the cable modem for a few minutes to see if that does it?

Regards

Bill
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    That would work with a cable modem, but n3o is on adsl.

Are you sure the other router died or is there a fault with your line or with your isp?

mD
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    ive returned the old accton router for warranty and they replaced it with a new one. now, i have a useless netgear router that cost me USD50~
  • phoenixphoenix Kingston upon Thames, UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    That would work with a cable modem, but n3o is on adsl.

Duh, it would have worked if I'd read the post correctly - missed that damned pppoe. :rolleyes: I always assume that everyone has the wonderful benfits of Blueyonder cable. I'll go back to sleep now!

Regards

Bill
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by n3o
    ive returned the old accton router for warranty and they replaced it with a new one. now, i have a useless netgear router that cost me USD50~

I take it that one is now working? Just making sure.

You can probably sell the old router on and not make much of a loss, so it wont be all bad.

NS
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    yeah the returned router is working now. i do intend on selling the netgear, but first i got to get it to work. i cant be selling a faulty product rite?
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    oh yeah, another thing. whats RoadRunner-manager?
    edited June 2003
    Sounds like a configuration thing for the ISP "RoadRunner" . I take it thats your ISP.

NS
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    er.. i think my ISP uses PPPoE
    www.streamyx.com
    edited June 2003
    ............ no, not the packet encoding whatsitajig. The PROGRAM you use to configure the connection. But apparently you are not on RoadRunner. Where did you see/find RoadRunner manager then?

NS
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    oh.. i saw it in one of the options for the encapsulation method when configuring the router.