HDTV's for a gamecube

edited July 2003 in Gaming
I havent really played on any consoles for years, even tho we have a ps2. Im thinking of getting a gamecube, but one thing ive always hated about console games is because the graphics are always fuzzy and seem blurred compared to games on the pc, im use to the ultra sharp picture of my monitor (im guessing this is cuz tvs dont have a high enuff res? not sure) I was just curious if an hdtv would make the picture just as clear as a pc monitor.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Trust me, you want the fuzzyness TV's provide as it acts like Anti-Aliasing. Why is this good? Because consoles run at a res like 320x240...... and that is really really liney, so higher definition on a console may not be the best thing.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    does the gamecube support hdtv tho? im not sure i think it might tho.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Older consoles ran at that low of res, NS... Now they run much higher.

Yes, the GCN DOES support HDTV as long as you have the right cables and the game supports HD.
  • edited June 2003
    trekky, or any1 else, do u know if the hdtvs make a big difference? Unless they really make it crisp and clear ,i prolly wont get 1 and even if they do, im still just considering it. They are extremly expensive lol. Do thye make the picture almost as clear and sharp as a pc monitor?
    edited June 2003
    Only if the game supports a full HD signal. Persoanlly, I'd just go with a big screen analog or something. They're still nice looking and cost half as much. That's just my $0.02.
  • edited June 2003
    do games that dont support the hd signal have any improvement? is it common for a game to support it?

sorry for all the questions, id love to just get rid of the fuzziness of console games, it annoys me so much lol ;p. But $1200+ is steep....
  • edited June 2003
    Yes, all games will look better on a HDTV.

You want to make sure the TV can support 1080p and 720i. Games like Star Wars: Rogue Leader support 1080p, but other games run in 720i if not supported by progressive scan...
  • edited June 2003
    And trust me, the games look beautiful!:D :D:D
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Trekky8472
    Older consoles ran at that low of res, NS... Now they run much higher.

Do they run higher on all TV's now or just HDTV's? Because if it is just normal TVs, how do they manage to up the res without the TV just going mental.

NS
    edited June 2003
    Standard analog is 640x640 I believe. They display at that resolution unless placed on a HDTV while outputting a digital signal.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Broadcast TV is 768x576.

Games are probably that res aswell.

mD
    edited June 2003
    Thanks, dydx... I wasn't sure of the res. I know for a fact that in the N64 days they talked about lower res. When the expansion pak came out, alot of games were able to run in a higher res. Now, due to all the hardware advances, I'm sure all games run at the higher res.
  • zelig2zelig2 Columbus, OH
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Walter E. Kurtz
    You want to make sure the TV can support 1080p and 720i. Games like Star Wars: Rogue Leader support 1080p, but other games run in 720i if not supported by progressive scan...
    You sure you don't mean 1080i and 720p? I don't know of many 1080p tvs out there right now. The typical HDTV signals are either 1080i (CBS,HBO-HD,SHO-HD,NBC) or 720p (ESPN-HD,ABC,FoxSports).
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    1080p, that would be stunning
  • edited June 2003
    Sorry, got those confused...:p
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by kanezfan
    1080p, that would be stunning

:eek: Agreed...
  • edited June 2003
    hows this tv

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11211528&m=1&cat=24&scat=26?

Im not to willing to spend much more than 1000 bux on a tv un less there is some huge deal where a tv worth 2000 is being sold for 1500 or something.

I dont know much about tvs at all, so i dont know if a dark tinted crt screen is good or bad...

also wuts the difference between a 3-line and a 3d digital comb filter..
  • edited June 2003
    bumptime
    edited June 2003
    "would change the game resolution"

And that would explain why it looks better. I just didnt think that they would change the Res. But, that would explain why they look better.

NS
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2003
    what about a friggin lightgun for a rear projrction HDTV and a xbox. Any experience on thatun?
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited July 2003
    I have a Sony Wega Trinitron 20inch and I used to play on a 10 year oldish Magnavox 19inch and even though my new tv isnt HDTV, there is a major difference in image quality just from the good tv. I have not yet bought the component video cables for the Gamecube but if its does the same for my dvd players image quality then it'll be great.