How did you first hear about Icrontic?

DexterHolland911DexterHolland911 Hong Kong
edited July 2003 in Community
How did you guys first hear about icrontic? For me it was way back in the Apu's hardware days, Fu actually told me about it. This thread also serves as research for how to attract new members.

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Tex's posts on xtremesystems.
  • edited June 2003
    Found APU's Hardware searching for info on Abit KT7 mobo.
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    Also back in the days of Apu's Hardware. For me it was Paul's FAQ on the KT7. Ah, those were the days.
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited June 2003
    saw a friend come here. I didn't remember the whole name, so it took me a few tries to find icrontic.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Ive been a regular visitor since the apus hardware days.

mD
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Same as Cool Canuck - the ABIT KT7-R was a bitch until i found some decent forums. Multiple posts & multiple replies later I finally had the thing running smoothly. Nowhere near as smooth as my present system but that was the joy & the pain of the KT7-R.

I think Cool Canuck was one of the first to give me advice too :) - (I've shortened my name since then, it was Plectr@m.)

Great board - glad its back to life.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    I never had any trouble with KT7-RAIDs, those boards kicked ass back in the day.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Plec
    (I've shortened my name since then, it was Plectr@m.)

Great board - glad its back to life.
    I remember that handle. Good to see you're still around.
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    I never had any trouble with KT7-RAIDs, those boards kicked ass back in the day.

Fortunate you, & yes they did. :)

I had to up all my voltages to get the board stable (3.8 for the i/o :o ) & also the USB ports never gave out enough juice. Plus, a dodgy ide port, Soundblaster Live problem - i could go on :)

I had an early revision but it seemed there were a lot of bad boards out there when i bought mine - as a lot of threads reflected.

Admittedly, some boards were just set up incorrectly; but there were also just a lot of tempremental boards which didn't warrant an RMA but just needed careful tweaking - mine being the latter by choice but on reflection should have been RMA'd.

The KT7-R was only my second build & mine was tempremental so i kinda hit the ground running. I learnt way more about computers than i ever intended due to that mobo.

Like you said, it was a great board when its stable - but a complete bitch to set up if u had a fussy board/rev - wouldn't have had it any other way though :) (However i love my low maintanence ASUS now.)

Plec
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Cool Canuck

I remember that handle. Good to see you're still around.

Cheers, & likewise - I'm glad to see there's still a lot of experience on these boards.
  • XZGohanXZGohan Scottsdale, Arizona Member
    edited June 2003
    Reading CSCrossfire about Mortin being raided by the feds for hosting a CS mirror :P
  • ktulu_tcoktulu_tco Akita, Japan
    edited June 2003
    Friend showed me the news site, when I was planning to buy a new computer... the forums just followed naturally. :)
  • edited June 2003
    Links to the ghetto articles from other sites.
  • LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    I heard about quite awhile ago in another forum.

It piqued my interest but I never really checked it out until the new Icrontic appeared, and I know a few peeps that post here.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2003
    First found it when building a comp with a KT7A-Raid, got some help from a few stayed, left, came back. :)

Jim
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Like so many, when the hotrod KT7 series came out and I needed direction, icrontic.com was the first link I clicked after doing a search on google.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    Res0r9lm told me about the old folding team....the rest is history.;)

~FA
  • JPPJPP Stuttgart Germany
    edited June 2003
    I made a search via google and ended up at apushardware.
    During my membership the name was changed to icrontic.
    JPP
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    As Icrontic was changing from being Apus.

Looking for a fix with Write enabling on a Voodoo 3 on a k6-2 processor mobo.

NS
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The infinity loop thread. Past forum had a problem with a company and I got bored of that sh!t and decided to start in someplace new where nobody knew me.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    after a thread at XS saying it had been hacked and then a thread by Tex saying he was now running the joint

Craig
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    rofl, did anyone see what happened to the RAID Strip thread before Icrontic went down?

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    LOL :D
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    i used to come here way back in the day just for hardware news/reviews. i always knew about the forum, but never joined. anyway, i told a friend that it was a great hardware site, he started coming here and joined the forums, and had been trying to convince me to join. last summer i finally joined, and its been grand ever since . . .
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I first heard about it at the MaximumPC forums in Jan 2001. Someone had posted a thread about it I believe.
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited June 2003
    Someone from ForumOC directed me here when I was looking to mod my BIOS.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    rofl, did anyone see what happened to the RAID Strip thread before Icrontic went down?

NS
    "EQuito has attached this image." :D ROFLMAO
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    LMAO!

Shorty was in the process of trying to fix the "16k vs 64k" thread when ICF went down.
    That was the strangest thing ever around here. The database got all screw up and most of the pics attached to it containing benchmarks got replaced by pics from the babe thread... :D

NS: did you save it? Tex was desperately looking for a copy.
  • dellindellin Wisconsin, US
    edited June 2003
    i'm not sure exactly, i think i followed a link to a review. the blue color of the site back then really caught my eye, and the forums were like no other..so i stuck around. i guess that was maybe 1 1/2 years ago, give or take. ;)
  • xDeluxexxDeluxex DeLuxembourg
    edited June 2003
    ...goozeman...