VNC question

LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Hey guys

Im running a 3.3.7 VNC server at home, which i can get to fine from any computer... except i have a problem getting the connection to stay alive at my brother's house. I can connect, but it will just drop after a few seconds... to a few minutes... when im right in the middle of something. It does it from all his computers on his network, and even when we tried putting a computer directly on the net... it stil did it.

So what do you guys think? its really annoying me that i have to reconnect like 20 times to do anything.

thanks

LIQ:mad:

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    How's his internet connection otherwise? Maybe it just doesn't get an "acceptable" ping, so it kick the connection.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2003
    I would maybe try a different version of VNC. Personally I use TightVNC at work and home over 50 terminals and never had any problems. Plus it has a really good compression mode that is relatively quick over slow connections.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The latency is probably too much to keep the connection alive. Dunno what you can do to fix it though.

mD
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Try playing with the encoding options when you connect as well, see if that helps at all, make sure 8bit is ticked too, as on slower connections, if you do alot then it automatically switches from 8 to 16bit and it may be that that is killing it as it does that randomly at some point.

NS
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited June 2003
    Yeah his cable is super fast, 1.5Mbit down 386Kb up

Its faster than mine at home :P I wil try that encoding though, and possibly the TightVNC also, does it work the same at the usual VNC? Because i LOVE how it works, dont want to change
    edited June 2003
    It looks the same, have the same options, works exactly the same........ just has a different name........ I think they ar ethe same (I have tried 3, all EXACTLY the same).

NS
    edited June 2003
    well i installed Tight VNC.... over VNC lol

Using NS's suggestion of changing the compression options.. i got it to last long enough to install it and stuff.

I must say TightVNC is nice, more options and the web based view is bad ass

But i still get some kind of "wrong block value" or something like that after a while. So i have to reconnect. Hmm
    edited June 2003
    Sounds like curruption down the line to be honest. Does the remote machine have any errors under the connected networking Icon? (Dial up or whatever)

NS
    edited June 2003
    Seems like i got it working, it stays connected forever now, i havent gotten kicked ... I just set the compression to 6 (default) and turn off that colorrect thing. I use the "tight" encoding for TightVNC

I dont see where it would say there are errors.... both machines are on cable.

But thanks guys... if i get any other problems i'll let you know

ps... just found out that my router does remote management :D:D:D i can access my router through IE fro manywhere. Im stoked
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Only enable local router management. That way no one can h4x0r j00, and change the port redirection table and 0wn your box.

If you do decide to leave remote managment on, at least put a decent password on it.

mD
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, i always change the password. I'll change the port for remote management also. ;)