Best way to mirror folders over a network?

edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
I just have a 2 pc network right hopefully more in the future. I find myself constantly moving files from one pc to the other. I would like to make a folder that mirrors itself from one computer to the other. For instance I would like to have a Downloads folder that automatically send everything I put in it to a Downloads folder on my other pc. That way I don't have to constantly transfer files that I want on both machines. I've seen ads for software that does it. Just wondering if anyone knows of some freeware or maybe a way to do it with Windows. If not that than maybe some good software I could buy.

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    What version of windows are you running?

xp has something like that built in. If youre running another version, a simple batch file to copy the directory to the other computer added to scheduled tasks will do the trick.

Hope this helps.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    You mean just make a batch file with something like
    copy c:\downloads\*.* w:\downloads

and than just have a schedular run every 5 minutes or so? I have Windows XP Pro.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Theres something telling me that theres a built in feature in xp, but I just cant remember where I saw it.

The batch file thing will work though.

Every 5 mins is a bit ofetn though, set it for every hour or so.

mD
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Offline folders is the XP thing you are talking about, but it is useless. It copies all the files into a folder called "Offline Files" and there is no way of changing this, so it all ends up being a complete mess. As I was trying to do the same, but I just use network drives now instead.

Sleep, share the downloads folder on the PC that is going to be on the most and then just save everything to that from both PC's, that saves you having to copy files all the time as both PC's will be accessing the files from the same folder, i.e. My Site is stored on my Server, but to get to it I have shared the remote computers drive (open my computer, right click the drive, click sharing, new share, give it a name, ok) then from my machine opened the shared folder and mounted the drive as a network drive (Tools >> Map network drive) and did the same for my websites folder, so it seems like I have another 2 drives on my machine. Drive Z: is the servers hard-drive and drive Y: is my website (a folder on that machine).

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    sleepstalcker,

How big are the files you want to mirror, and how fast is your network?

If your on 10mbit, or even non switched 100mbit, you might aswell mirror or its going to be too slow to bother transfering files you use often back and forth.

mD
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    How is mirroring going to help? He is going to be copying the files one way or another. I think using a network drive will be faster than copying the entire folders over themselves every 5 minutes. Also hell of alot neater too.

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    If hes going to be using video for editing, or larger images, accessing over the network is next to useless.

On collaborated projects in design houses, thats how they usually work it, unless theyve got gigabit or something.

Thats what he asked for, thats what I suggested.

mD