What's the best email server?

SlackerSlacker CA, USA
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
First of all, I'm not exactly sure that there is such a creature, but a friend of mine said there was. So any idea which is the best? As long as we're talking about servers, what would you use to serve:

web pages
ftp
email
database
other (things that i've missed)

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    HTTP - Apache
    FTP - Pure FTP
    Mail - pop3d/smtpd
    DB - MySQL/MS SQL/Oracle depends what my clients allready use
    Data integration - e Gate
    File sharing - Samba

IIS and Exchange are trash.

Servers are better if they run *nix.

mD
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Hmm.. I agree with most of what is said. However, I rather like Exchange. They're web based mail client rocks. It's like running Outlook but you can pull it up from anywhere. However, most people don't need those features. So, stick with the free stuff. :)
    edited June 2003
    Oh, you didnt specify what OS you are going to be running........ WinNT, Linux, BSD?

NS
  • edited June 2003
    i 2nd the vote for cerverus ftp... very easy to work with. There is also another more easy to set up server called abyss web server
    edited June 2003
    Abyss is VERY limited, a basic web server at best, but, if you arnt going to be using anything other than basic HTML pages then I suppose it would be alright to start out with, though it would probably be best just to start with Apache, save changing later.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    you can add in asp, perl and php supposrt very easily and if it is the persons first time out might be better starting with something easier to set up while they get a feel for it....
  • SlackerSlacker CA, USA
    edited June 2003
    NS - I'm not sure to who the question about platforms was addressed to.. but I'm using Win2000 so I guess it'll be a 2k server box for me. I've looked at Apache and MySQL.. maybe also a FTP server later on..

I'm guessing you pros have also worked w/ Apache and Perl. Can you guys answer some questions about mod_perl, perl & sql and uploading?

1) The mod_perl distributions that I've seen usually use builds behind the most current Apache and ActivePerl releases. Is it better to use mod_perl w/ built with older versions then to use the lastest version of Apache and Perl concurrently?

2) Does Perl have build in libraries that work with MySQL or do you need to use the standard ODBC interface (which I'm not exactly sure how to set up :( ).

3) Say I wanted to upload stuff to the server - Does Apache have some built in function for FTP or would you have to make an upload script with Perl?
  • edited June 2003
    Kerio definately on the mail server side. Its easy to set up has integrated spam assassin and a web mail feature. Free trial also.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Have you looked into Mercury Mail Server? It's made by the same people who make Pegasus, and it's free..