MP3 ripping question

edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
I have some CDs ripped in wav form, but not in individual tracks. It's one 700mb wav for each cd, with a .cue file used to seperate the tracks. I loaded up the cue file on Alcohol 120% and it works fine, like a normal CD. The thing is though, I don't want to always listen to a cd from beginning to end, especially if I can't see where one track ends and another starts, not to mention they're huge. So does anyone know if there is any way to rip it to mp3s without having to individually chop the wav file into smaller wavs and turn those into mp3s? I don't want to chop it up because I'm sure that even if I get the track lengths down, the track silence and other factors will make them less accurate as far as the track length goes. I've already tried loading it up on Alcohol and ripping it from CDex, but the virtual drive didn't show up on the drop down box :-(.

Comments

• edited June 2003
    hmmm cdex is best :D

or media jukebox mebbe
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Exact Audio Copy will do it. It also detects my phantom drive (Daemon Tools).
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Another vote for EAC. Detects my Daemon-Tools and Alcahol 120% drives no problem.

Couldnt see a way of copying the entire disc as one file though.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Cue files are normally used with an BIN file. When you write the bin to a CD, the cue file tells the software how to write the tracks.

Seems to me like someone has writen this bin to a CD improperly. The CD was ripped as DOA (Disk At Once) in which case you got to cut a chop to get the individual tracks off.
  • edited June 2003
    The files were originally .ape, and they came with cues with the wav. This is the best and most efficient way to do it if you want to actually write the cd, but I want teh mp3s.

BH, how is EAC compared to CDex? I don't want to waste time messing with other crap because I'll forget to uninstall it and it'll add to the clutter and you know how it is ;[
  • SlackerSlacker CA, USA
    edited June 2003
    Couldn't you burn it to a CD-RW like you would to any other CD and then rip it to mp3s? That way if you don't want the CD afterwards you can always erase it.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Quack, there are nice guides around that explain everything you need to do. It has a wizard for setting up the drives and all you gotta do is put the compressor settings, where you want it save and the ID3 tags.