cd-rw problem

n3on3o
edited June 2003 in Hardware
hi guys, i have wat seems to be a dead imation cd-rw
its an 8x4x32 int cd-rw that suddenly couldnt work after installing a new hdd.
win 2k can detect but it cant read the cd.
any help would be appreciated. thanks

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Have you done the usual..... made sure all the cables are in, checked it with a retail CD (could be an issue with copied CD's) etc etc.

It would seem to much of a conisidence that it has only stopped after restarting if it was just too dirty or clogged up, but giving it a good clean wouldnt hurt.

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Did you check the jumpers are set properly if the drives are on the same channel?

mD
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    before this, everything was working fine.
    win 2k can detect the drive, but not the cd inside.
    problems only happened after installing new hdd and re-installing win 2k.
    it is too much a coincidence that the drive would fail after installing a new hdd..
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I would say it was too much of a coincidence myself. But I'm also not saying that it isn't possible. Make sure you didn't jar anything while installing the new hdd also, switch the ide ribbon cable that the cd-rw is on. Are the hdd and the cd-rw on the same ide channel?
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    nope, nothing changed in terms of hardware.
    i just added the new hdd on ide1(primary hdd)
  • edited June 2003
    hhmmm..

my box wont see my cd-rw if I overclock
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    Did you check the jumpers are set properly if the drives are on the same channel?
    mD
    Well did ya?????
  • n3on3o
    edited June 2003
    the old hdd and cd-rw never shared the same ide channel.
    i added the new hdd on to the old hdd. it shouldnt affect the cd-rw cause i never changed that.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by n3o
    the old hdd and cd-rw never shared the same ide channel.
    i added the new hdd on to the old hdd. it shouldnt affect the cd-rw cause i never changed that.
    They still may interfer. Ensure that the drives are jumper for Cable Select or Master/Slave.

If you moved the CDRW to a different plug on its cable while you were in there, that may also cause the problem.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited June 2003
    I would definitely check the jumpers... One of the most overlooked (and simple to fix) problems with adding new drives is that the jumpers may be set to the same setting...

Also check to see if maybe your drive letters have changed. Occasionally on W2K I have had two drives sharing the same drive letter. One was sitting "on top" of the other. You could see the CD drive using say, drive "E:", but a HD shared the same letter and was not visible. Windows showed the CD Drive as working properly, but when trying to access it, it would get confused. You should be able to check quickly by just right-clicking on "My Computer", selecting "Manage" and then choosing "Disk Management". It should show all drives and letters... (which you can then change to whatever you like...)