Xbox hacked - Linux possible

edited July 2003 in Gaming
Well the Xbox has been hacked with Linux. As they said, they are able to boot into Linux without a mod chip and can run pirated games (copies) from the Linux. Its like a boot cd, such as Dreamcast. What do you guys think about this? :D

Comments

• edited July 2003
    MS = owned.

Chances are they'll put money into upgrading their software :)
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Think this will actually get relesed? If so, when, how much ect...
  • edited July 2003
    It got released yesterday i think :D

The project is called freex (sounds a bit like a pr0n company) :P
  • edited July 2003
    lol, yea but where could we download it, burn it to a cd and pop it in our xbox and check it out?
  • edited July 2003
    They released it to a mailing list.. thats what ZDnet says, so give it a week and it'll be around the net and easy to find.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Quote from ZDnet:
    If the claim by Free-X turn out to be true they may be eligible for the US$100,000 prize on offer by Lindows chief executive Michael Robertson for the first group to run Linux on the console without hardware modifications.

lol!, thats fantastic, talk about Lindows knowing how to Piss Microsoft off! Really made me laugh!.
  • edited July 2003
    Well, lets see what happens, everyone, if you get new details or anything please post them in this thread to keep all the xbox gamers updated :)
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2003
    I think its out already. I found it on an ftp in an IRC chan while dling stuff for my modded xbox.

wouldnt you know it thyough. I waited this long for the chameleon, and went through all the trouble to get it working. 1 week later no need for a mod. I believe it is a cracked version of the MS dashboard. or the one M$ uses on their demo game CDs.
  • edited July 2003
    Actually that's not entirely true. With the no-mod trick you can no longer play XBox games (the BIOS is modified to always load Linux).... it's Linux or bust. And despite what some idiots would say, the Xbox makes a shitty PC because it only has 64 megs of RAM.

There is an exploit that allows you to screw around with saved games in 007 and mechwarrior, but that is too much of a hassle...

The best solution is still to buy a modchip.

Robert
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Awww... thats not what I wanted to hear :(
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by TheSource
    this is what i found:

http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-July/010895.html

Anybody done this ?
    Results?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Guy named Shallex in #Linux was IRCing from his X-Box.

NS
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    With or without a modchip NS