Top 5 *worst* games?

verselloversello New
edited July 2003 in Gaming
Since there's a top 5 (best) games, why not make a worst? :D

Out of the games I've tried and from my collection, I'd have to say:

1. Congo
- Game based on movie = lesson learned.

2. Jedi Knight II
- Absolutely couldn't stand this... it was so boring.

3. Neverwinter Nights
-I know some people love this game, but I just can't seem to enjoy it everytime I fire it up... something just doesn't "click". I'm an RPG fan too.

4. Soldier of Fortune II
- Same as SoF.

5. Warcraft III: Frozen Throne expansion
- My most recent purchase; I'm utterly dissapointed.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Jedi Knight II isn't one of the worse games. Infact IMHO it's one the best. Just the originality puts it up there with the rest of them.
  • edited July 2003
    Postal and Postal II, I know some people here will love it, but COME ON!

• Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited July 2003
    personally...I hated Icewind Dale...the 2nd one was great, but I hated the first one...

I also didn't like Star Trek Away Team
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited July 2003
    1. Sniper: Path of Vengeance
    Total Utter Crap.

2. Diakatana
    see Sniper: POV

3. Postal 2
    Another masterpiece.

4. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
    Looks good, plays like a cow on roller skates.

5. Tomb Raider 3 and up
    Enough already.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited July 2003
    I think this is straying a bit from a topic. The games you guys are listing sound more like the most disapointing, not the worst games.
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by McBain
    I think this is straying a bit from a topic. The games you guys are listing sound more like the most disapointing, not the worst games.
    Now that you mention it, you're totally right.
    I think the games listed are the first coming to mind as we tend to remember the big let-downs as supposed to the truly horrible games that kinda just slip under our radar.
    So, have any contributions? :p
  • Lincoln-ImpLincoln-Imp Lincoln, England
    edited July 2003
    Postal 2 - never really played the first one
    Hooligans - No Comment.... ;)
    FIFA soccer series - Looks great but the controls etc... sheesh
    ISS 3 - PC version anyway.. not seen the console version.. the first one was amazing though
    Moon Tycoon - Only saw the Demo, i admit... but unless they really pulled something outta the bag between that and the release code... *shudders*
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    Dungeon Seige... I still can't get over how utterly boring they made the combat & magic. Weapons did more damage but monsters had more hit points and that was the depth of the RPG... erm doesn't that just make gameplay and difficult exactly the same all the way through!!! Magic caused damage or healed damage... what happen to variety like sleep, slow, blind, confuse, hold, invisible, teleport etc Anything, anything at all to add some variety and interest.

Utterly shallow hack-n-slash. Looked nice and had no load screens but that was about it. Waste of a good graphics engine if you ask me.

Don't even get me started on what a good RPG should be like... you have been warned. :)

Ed^
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    Dungeon Seige again... my party would stand on the exact same spot inside each other and fire arrows. Utterly ridiculous!!!

I'm going to stop thinking about it now it's making me feel ill with the disapointment of it all.

I don't think anybody buys the really bad games like 50% and below in the reviews. I guess you might get one bought as a present by you grandparents or something but I mostly they just flop big style or become almost instant budget buys.

I notice the latest installment of tomb raider is getting some pretty bad reviews and with all those delays prior to release and it's still bad. How come it's in the top 10 charts. Who is buying it?

Ed^
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Lincoln Imp

FIFA soccer series - Looks great but the controls etc... sheesh

Wash your mouth out you dirty little ..... How dare you? The FIFA is THE definitive games series on ALL platforms since about 1989!! I have spent more of my childhood playing on FIFA games that I did doing anything else!

You disappoint me Imp.
    edited July 2003
    I like Dungeon Siege

lol
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    Yeah, I don't think anybody here has played more than one or two truly HORRIBLE games that don't even deserve the title "game", as I'd like to think everybody on these forums is more intelligent than that. However, I'd like to nominate:
    ET for Atari 2600
    Gods and Generals for PC (recent)

As for games I've actually played.
    1. Quake II for PC (Shortest time on HD by a long shot - it's a crime against humanity to name that piece of garbage after the brilliant Quake I)

2. Hydlide for NES

3. Dark Reign for PC (2nd shortest time ever on hard drive)

4. Wrestlemania - The Arcade Game (SNES, Gen, 32X) All I can say is...W...T...F?!?!

5. I'll add something after I get home and get a look at my collection.

I'm sure there are some Commodore64 games I'm forgetting.

Honorable mention goes out to Crimson Skies (PC) for being such a horribly buggy mess (that never got patched) that I never could get this promising game past the title screen before it crashed on THREE different PC's.

Honorable mention to Kingpin for being all cussing and no gameplay.
  • edited July 2003
    Honorable mention to Kingpin for being all cussing and no gameplay.

Agreed, but the multi-player was better ;) Never played past the first level on Single player, but IMP will tell you the hours I played on Multiplayer :)
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    I completed Kingpin, It wasnt great, but it was playable.
  • verselloversello New
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by PyobliE
    I completed Kingpin, It wasnt great, but it was playable.

I agree.

I liked the atmosphere of kingpin.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    alright, i'm going to nominate a sierra game

Betrayal at Antara

now before i say anything else, i DID finish this game, but only out of respect for Betrayal at Krondor (which sierra gave out free, and i had waaaaaay too much fun with, even though it looked like cow ass).

that said, the storyline is totally rediculous, the game play is unfathomably bad, and the game is like some sort of scar on my brain
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited July 2003
    Aliens vs. Predator 2 = worst game I purchased so I'm glad I got it on a major sale for $10 so it wasnt a total loss. You would think a sequel would have similar gameplay to the first, and improve graphics ect. AVP2 has similar graphics but the funniest and albiet worst player models Ive seen. They completely ruined the Alien play, which was my favorite. Instead of levels with plenty of places to hide, climb, sneak and do your Alien thing, they made the Alien levels a confined corridor where climbing on the wall resulted in death and you had to rush people and hope not to die. Probably played a few levels on each side, quit, came back the next day to see if it was still crappy, still is.

Other bad games would be Ace Combat 3, a crappy version of Ace Combat 2, one of my favorite PSX games of all time.

Metal Gear Solid, I figured that if the rental store had 10 copies of it it might be worth renting. Was cool at beginning, then it boiled into a wierd ass game. My favorite was Solid Snake (uncool name btw) and his constant wasting of my playing time by hiting on the numerous talking heads on his radio before getting to the damn point 10 minutes later so i could continue. Also the fact you have 20ish weapons but using anything but your pistol makes the base go apeshit and spawn infinite guards who dont stop. The hardest part was the first boss who isnt hard at all.

Lets see, Top Gun for GC was crappy, glad I rented it, made my two friends who are Top Gun fanatics quite disappointed to play it.

That Yakuza mission game for X-box sucked hard, sorry Pigflipper for suggesting you buy it, hope you saved your receipt.

There are more games out there, but those are the ones i can remember that wasted my time.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    As we've already established in the "top 5 best games" thread, I totally disagree with you on AvP2. I will, however, grant that the multiplayer levels totally failed to give the Aliens an environment appropriate to them. I expect to have to worry about them bursting through ceiling tiles and eating through the floor for example (the Red Faction engine might have been useful there). AvP2's multiplayer was an example of wasted potential. The single player was absolutely Brilliant IMHO.

Nominees for worst expansion packs:
    AvP2 - Primal Hunt
    Medal of Honor - Spearhead. I understand it had decent multiplayer additions, but the singleplayer was WAY too short and broken (incredibly easy to break the level scripting and you'd have to reload and take the exact path the game wanted you to.)
  • edited July 2003
    First off, Warcraft 3; The Frozen Throne is one of the best expansions of this entire year. you should go in a closet and shoot urself, second Postal 2/Superman 64, is by far the worstever.
    edited July 2003
    postal 2 may have been slightly rediculous, but i dont know what makes you call it bad. the game entirely lives up to the genre it creates for itself. if its because the game Bothers you, does that necessarily make it bad? i had fun with it
  • edited July 2003
    Vietcong

Spider Man

Incoming Forces

Beach Life

Everquest

I actually liked Daikatana :p
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    If you like Daikatana then your opinion is not valid.
    Also knocking on Dungeon Siege for not being a real rpg with "real" spells is kinda stupid, it wasn't meant to be anything more than a hack and slash game.
    edited July 2003
    I just got done playing Dungeon Siege

I love that game
    edited July 2003
    how on earth can you dis EQ? thats just wrong. i would agree with you that after all the expansions and their attempted upgrades EQ does really suck, but i was a huge fan of the original game (i could stand kunark, but that just about does it for me). if you're going to bash an MMORPG, bash AC2
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited July 2003
    AVP2 is nothing compared to AVP. The Alien levels like I said before are terrible and not what I would expect from a sequel. Its almost like the AVP2 team never played AVP. However, I will try the game again as I recently found gold in a game i dismissed originally, Operation Flashpoint, a game I bought at the same time as GTA3 and obviously set aside. Now I cant stop playing, so maybe lighting will strike twice and maybe I will find AVP2 tolerable. If not oh well.
  • edited July 2003
    Originally posted by TheBaron
    how on earth can you dis EQ? thats just wrong.

Then I must be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Tried it for five hours or so, had more fun watching paint dry. It sucked, IMHO.

As for Daikatana, pigflipper, I know the game sucked, but it was fun in a perverse kind of way.

And my opinion is valid, as it's mine.
    edited July 2003
    but still, "worst game ever"

just because you never got into it ...

i wasn't saying your opinion was invalid

edit: oops i should have read more closely, nm
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    Um, let me see.
    1.) Railroad Tycoon
    2.) Microsoft Train Simulator - Horrible graphics.
    3.) Stardock systems game that you attempt to take over the business world and become a monopoly.
    4.) Maxis Sim Theme Park
  • lynch03lynch03 chicago
    edited July 2003
    this game called extreme paintbrawl it was dbbed to be the first non- violent shooter (LoL NON-VIOLENT SHOOTER) this game just down-right SUCKEd every aspect ( the sound track wasnt that bad..I guess)
  • verselloversello New
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by lynch03
    this game called extreme paintbrawl it was dbbed to be the first non- violent shooter (LoL NON-VIOLENT SHOOTER) this game just down-right SUCKEd every aspect ( the sound track wasnt that bad..I guess)

haha, I remember reading about that game