Is 400w enough power for this thing?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited July 2003 in Hardware
So I've got this dually system thing I'm setting up (supposedly... I'll get around to putting it together. Probably when the Athlon 64 is operating around 6GHz ). I've been thinking, and I'm beginning to doubt my 400w Antec's ability to handle it all. Take a look @ the PS specs and the comp. specs and see what you think:

PSU specs:
Antec PP-403X ATX2.03 400w PS
+3.3v @ 28a +/- 5% regulation
+5v @ 40a +/- 5% regulation
+12v @ 12a +/- 5% regulation
-12v @ 1a +/- 10% regulation
-5v @ 1a +/- 5% regulation
+5vsb @ 3a +/- 5% regulation
3.3 & 5v combined output:245w max.

Eventual (read: when I get around to it) system specs:
MSI K7D Master-L motherboard
2x AMD <strike>Athlon XP2500+</strike> I mean MP2800+ CPUs (2 2500s modded to 2800s, running @ 2.25GHz & 1.7-1.8v)
512MB-2GB DDR
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB or FX5900 Ultra 256MB
HighPoint RocketRaid 1540 4-channel SATA RAID card
SB Audigy2 Platinum
USB2 PCI card
4x Maxtor DiamondMax 9 160GB/8MB/7200RPM/ATA-133 hdds w/RocketHead PATA-SATA adapters in 2 2-drive RAID 0 arrays
Floppy
Zip250
LiteOn 52/24/52 CD-RW
Toshiba 16x DVD
5x Thermaltake SmartFan2 80x25mm case fans
2x Thermaltake SmartFan2 80x25mm cpu fans
1x Thermaltake SmartFan2 Power Supply fan
1x 92mm Sunon 40-odd CFM case fan
1-2 120mm video card fans (possibly)

So. whaddaya think- 400w enough or not?

Comments

• edited July 2003
    No. A 500 watter is mucho better due to sizes and qty of HDs. When the box boots, expect the HDs to pulla peak of 7 AMPs at 12 Volts.

Best way to allow for a box to have a long-lasting PSU is to buy one that is 1.5 to 2x peak draw guess to begin with.

How many amps for the fans??? guess 5-6 to spin up. 6+7 is 13. so 18 AMPS on 12 Volt rail peak will allow for things like DVD burner feeding its laser circuit capacitors a bunch at 12 V plus a CD-RW and\or a CD-ROm drive end things like your CAM charging on USB if it does that optionally.

Figure this way-- good autoswitching power supplies will crimp the lower voltage legs if the high voltage leg grabs a huge heap of power. That means that if the high leg is crimped than your low legs can draw a bit more also.

While a variable pot PSU like the true-control is nice and obviously allows for adjsutment, a PSU with discharged capacitors typically has those inside also--AFAIK teh colored wires indexed on outsdie of PSU or in the ANTEC PSU's manual will let you trace back to what outputs what as far as leg rebalancing goes. I would say a 500 watt is plenty and that a 550 Watt Tru-Power Antec is more than enough for safety and maybe a blue-laser burner later plus a DVD\CDRW combo burner drive.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    Ageek; the fan specs are

here: http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/a1357.htm
    here: http://www.enermax.com.tw/uc-8fab.htm
    and here: http://www.pixelusa.com/catalog/detail.asp?id=CK-SU-09225A2

I was hoping to avoid investing in another PS... oh well...
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited July 2003
    Maybe you should look into PC power and cooling's PSU line. They are damn expensive but AFAIK, there are the best PSUs. They are very reliable and give clean power with accurate voltage. Antec are good PSUs but for the kind of system you are building, I suggest you invest in a top notch PSU to protect this investment and the future ones.
    edited July 2003
    Yup. If I buy a new PS, it'll most likely be either a 550w TruePower or a 510w TurboCool...
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited July 2003
    I'd say go for Turbo cool... If you have the money. I think you can add some trim pots to the PSU for 90$ more so you can adjust voltages on the fly.
    The antec is good choice too and already has adjustable pots but the PCP&C will give cleaner and more accurate voltage.
  • edited July 2003
    I was thinking 12VX6A=72 Watts DC spin up for all the fans at once. And figuring run at about 2\3 to 3\4 that for all the fans once spun up if near full speed. The Tt fan spec you showed me is 8.4 W per fan max, so then that will probably be needed to spin up to full speed.

8.4 times 8 is 67.2 Watts (thats the Tts alone). The Sunon is by far the most effective for power itself, at half the mean of the Tts.

Um, video card fans of 120 mm size??? Um, 2??? Why in {Deities} name would you do that?? Slot fan, mounted and directioned so as to pull heat off card-- Sunon fan.

67.2+4 (two Sunons)= about 72 Watts startup pull.

The ones that say 6 volt start mean that is minimum voltage spec for them to turn at all. Have you measured Amp draw there??? Should be 2X the 12 V draw to spin up motor from rest, same inertia.

Specs give math, thanks. And math says if you add 2 120's you will have more like 7A at 12V than 6A to start fans at boot. I am talking draw out of PSU, not change in input draw at 120V, PSU individual outputs are typically peak draws and not average draw rating, and that if you have a 12V rail rated at 20 A you should not have more than 16A continuous draw at 12 V for good PSU life (75-80% of rating average load max is good rule, figured by individual rail)-- so around half what should be normal 12V rail load for a 500W PSU is fans alone, about 55% if you need no video card fans .).

That is about what a 250W-300W AT PSU puts out on its 12 V rail-- and AT's were skewed to 5 and 12 with more proportionately toward 12 volts than an ATX 2.03 when you figure watts available. So you buy much more ATX 2.03 in total watts to get same 12V rail wattage available (which could be calced into ampacity, do not need to here)compared to an AT.

Even in South Florida I run only 2-3 fans per case in about 90% of my system builds.

John Danielson.
    edited July 2003
    Why in {Deities} name would you do that??

overclocking. Dunno if you've had a dual amd system, but they run HOT... Extremely hot. I'm actually considering building a case because I don't think the SX1240 is gonna handle another CPU plus a voltage bump and OC without running the fans @ full speed all the time, which is not an option- too noisy...